Author Topic: How Many Honda's & What Did You Do ?  (Read 5597 times)

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
How Many Honda's & What Did You Do ?
« on: November 11, 2022, 03:53:02 PM »
I'm guessing we have a lot of retirees on the forum, is this your first Honda and what did you do ?
Someone posed this question on a VW forum I used to be on and there were some very interesting replies.

I'm retired now, I used to be a design engineer at Honda in Swindon and I'm on my second Jazz.

Anyone else ?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 02:50:21 PM by Derkie54 »
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Re: How Many Honda's & What Did You Do ?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 04:25:23 PM »
My current MK4 Jazz is the first Honda car that I've owned. I used to own a Honda 175 motorcycle. In the mid 1970's I had a job as a motorcycle courier riding a Honda 500/4 for 1000 miles a week.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 02:14:14 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 04:49:30 PM »
Interesting question! Not retired, just 43 years old :).

I work in indoor climate technology for heritage. My interest in technology combined with economy (I tend to hypermile ;D) led to my first Honda (2007 Civic Hybrid). My second was a 2010 Civic Hybrid, but it was no match to the 2007 model, so traded it in after 3 months for a 2010 Jazz 1.2 Style Mode. Then a 2014 Civic 1.6 i-dtec. After that a 2017 Jazz 1.3 CVT Comfort, a 2019 Jazz 1.5 CVT Dynamic and now a 2021 Jazz Crosstar.
So 15 years of Honda, currently on my 7th Honda.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 05:12:33 PM »
Worked in the motor industry all my working life, with a well known British 4x4 company, been retired over 20 years. The current Mk4 Ex is my 5th Jazz and the best yet, started with an I-shift, big mistake, nearly put me off Jazz cars for life, fortunately I tried a friends  CVT Jazz and liked it and have never looked back.
I remember the days when I drove a Rover V8 at around 20mpg, currently getting around 68mpg, Like it.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 07:20:17 PM by Kenneve »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 11:46:18 PM »
My Jazz is my first Honda though I had a Honda bike about 40 years ago. I was an equipment maintenance engineer for most of my working life working on high-vacuum equipment for most of the time in the optical coating and semiconductor industry. The last five years of my working life were in the estates department of my local hospital.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 04:32:32 AM »
2007 8G Civic iShift,  33k
2009 8G Civic Auto, 33k
2013 9G Civic Auto, 25k
Retired early, IT for civil service,  nudge nudge wink wink
2021 Jazz, almost 3k .....
Let's be careful out there !

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 07:27:08 AM »
Previous life o retirement - Mech Eng Oil industry, Rolls Royce Aero Eng.

Current car is Crosstar @ 8500miles. This is 5th jazz. (Break for 1 year with Fiesta ST LineX - very good)
2 Diesel Civic's.
1 Accord ES GT
1 Logo
1 Accord estate
1 Accord Coupe - 3litre V6
1 Civic coupe 1.7 litre
1 Prelude 2 litre AWS

Current car best overall, best liked car - Civic coupe, in my opinion most underrated and undersold by Honda - the Logo - could have wiped floor of Nissan Micra if marketed properly.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 01:23:36 PM »
CRV Mk1 in 1998 (new). Averaged 23 mpg. Not great for a company car.
CRV Mk3 in 2010 (new). Diesel. Much better mileage and a great car. Was sad to hand it back when I left that job.
Jazz Mk1 in 2013 (2005 model). Still running in the hands of my youngest son, doing work as a van!
Jazz Mk2 in 2013 (less than a year old). Liked the above Jazz so much I got one for myself to replace the company CRV I had to hand back.
HRV Mk2 in 2016 (less than a year old). Replaced the Mk2 Jazz and was OK but became too small for us when we had to adopt a third dog. Also had a few issues and foibles. Traded in 2017 for a RAV4 which I still have.

Very impressed with Honda and the only reason my main car is a Toyota RAV4 and not a CRV is we lost the local Honda dealership. My next car could well be a Honda though as whilst the RAV4 is great, the dealership are rubbish and now only a mile from the nearest Honda dealer.

Forgot the what did I do bit. I worked in IT most of my life, in the Building Society and banking world. Starting off programming IBM mainframes and ending up as an enterprise architect, someone who designs and oversees systems that work across an organisation. I still do freelance consulting and am considering going back part time for a year or two as retirement bores me at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 02:32:41 PM by richardfrost »

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 02:13:54 PM »
What did I do?
After I left school, at 16, with no qualifications, I went through quite a few jobs, most were related to engineering of some sort. After a while I settled down to being a motor and motorcycle mechanic but when I was 29 I saw a job advert for Post Office engineers. I got a job as a telephone installer. Post Office telecoms became British Telecom then BT then Openreach. Soon after joining I started on vocational correspondence courses, then day release at local colleges, completing a BTEC ONC in Telecommunications. I later completed an HNC in Business & Finance. I worked for BT for 30 years, retiring at 60. Working for BT was probably the best decision I've ever made as I was encouraged to learn and qualify for promotion. I was able to fulfill my abilities and prove to myself that I was not a duffer. I also have a fairly decent company pension combined with my government pension means I don't have to still be working.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 05:14:49 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 03:44:32 PM »
I notice a significant trend of people with an engineering or scientific background in the replies so far. Find that very re-assuring as an non scientific bod myself - indicates faith in the car as a decent piece of engineering. Spent most of my life working for what is now called Border Force but used to be the Immigration Service.

I've had 2 Jazz Mk2s, 2 Mk3s and now a Mk4. I've also had 2 Civics. I think I have brand loyalty!

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2022, 05:26:26 PM »
Jazz owners are not likely to be ego maniacs;  they are practical pragmatic sensible people;  I notice that many of them drive using their indicators.
Neil Ives

Derkie54

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2022, 05:43:08 PM »
Jazz owners are not likely to be ego maniacs;  they are practical pragmatic sensible people;  I notice that many of them drive using their indicators.

Lol  :D
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2022, 08:22:35 PM »
I notice that many of them drive using their indicators.
I think the Jazz is one of the few cars fitted with indicators. My old Volvo had them too but I think they are an expensive option on the newer Volvos. BMW doesn't fit them.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2022, 10:17:13 PM »
Also Audi, Jaguar and Mercedes
Neil Ives

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2022, 12:07:35 PM »
I held back to let a car out the other day. It turned out to be one of those feckin great Bentley SUV's. Not a flickr of gratutude from the drivers window. No surprise there; seems the more priveledged you are the less manners you have.
I was a mechanic in a muse garage in London for a while. The customers were often rude and very bad at paying their bills. We had to go and steal a car that a customer had not paid the bill for.
Often the opening conversation began;  "Now look here...."
Neil Ives

Tags: