Author Topic: Tyre Load Ratings.  (Read 692 times)

Brian_I

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC ES Plus 5dr
Tyre Load Ratings.
« on: November 02, 2022, 11:07:12 AM »
I'm a bit confused over tyre load ratings.

Currently my 2013 Honda Jazz has 185/55/R16  87V "Riken Road Performance Extra Load" tyres fitted, which came with the car when I bought it used a few years ago. Date stamp on the tyres is 48/17

The fronts are needing replacement now (and probably the rears soon as well due to age).

Looking at the specs in the handbook, the tyres should be 185/55/R16 83 T.

However not a lot of tyres available at that size.  Most of them seem to be 87 V load and speed rating. 

And I'll probably be going for more towards the "budget" end of the tyre spectrum, as I don't do a lot of driving.  Plus I tend not to have a full load in the car, so perhaps the 87 load ratings are overkill?

Any recommendations?

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
Re: Tyre Load Ratings.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 01:27:59 PM »
The load and speed rating stated in the handbook are required for car's maximum gross vehicle mass and maximum speed. Lower load or speed rating of tyres is a cause for failing MOT. Higher load and speed rating does not have any benefit but is allowed. My suggestion is to get tyres which meet your criteria regarding price and brand, and not to worry about ratings above the minimum requirement.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 01:35:07 PM »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 03:42:28 PM »
The 83T  load and speed rating in the  handbook is the minimum.  There should be no problem going higher .  Higher rated tyres can sometimes  be cheaper than lower rated   because they are more commonly stocked.     If they are cheaper  'overkill' is no longer a factor . 

The Riken 'extra load'   have a higher load rating so they can carry 'extra load'  if for instance fitted to a van. 

83T means they are rated to carry  487 kg per tyre  (total 1948kg )  and the T means rated for a top speed of  118 mph . More than enough for  the typical Jazz.   ;)

87 V have a load rating of 545 kg  (2180 kg total)   and V  is speed rated to  149 mph !   So over kill if they are more expensive.

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: