Author Topic: Rear left fog light doesn't seem to be on - is that normal?  (Read 2796 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Rear left fog light doesn't seem to be on - is that normal?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2022, 06:18:27 PM »
I have driven for more years than I  care to remember (or able to remember)   Maybe I have avoided bad fog, but I have never once felt the need  for FRONT  fog lights  that cannot be met by dipped headlights.  Yes maybe  you get more 'white out'  with dipped headlights  but at least you can be seen by others .  Are lights that enable you to drive  faster than perhaps you should  really the solution?   Maybe I am mistaken as I've seldom had a car with front fog lights, or more to the point, ever seen oncoming cars with front fog lights  where I have felt 'that helps '. 

But rear foglights  are a  really useful safety measure. .  No just in fog  but in rain heavy enough to produce lots of spray. 

« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 06:21:53 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2022, 07:33:56 PM »
Oh, I beg to differ.  I have driven in conditions, more so in my early years, where front fog lights have made a massive difference.  Headlights tend to reflect back to you whereas fog lights are mounted lower and get under the fog.  They used to be amber years ago, and that too made a difference.  Someone, no doubt, will explain the science behind it.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2022, 08:11:40 PM »
Fog doesn't go right down to the ground. The idea of low-set fog lights is that they shine under the fog. However, with modern cars, you still have to have dipped headlights on, which causes bounceback negating the benefit of the fog lights. On an old Jaguar we had, the light switch went Off - Side - Main - Fog, switching out the main headlights in this last position. Somewhere along the line manufacturers did away with that system (probably for conformity in another region) but I believe it is legal to drive in fog with sidelights and two front foglights here in the UK.
It is illegal to use rear foglights in the rain.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2022, 08:59:38 PM »
It is possible, I have driven my MKIII Jazz with just sidelights and fog lights.  As you said, they are little use if you leave the headlights on.

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2022, 12:09:51 AM »
In fog. Front fog lights are there for showing road markings and edge of road. Dipped headlights are so you can be seen by other road users.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2022, 09:07:50 AM »
Round here front fog lights are a massive help when finding your way along country roads with soft verges. Being low and with a wider spread it is much easier to pick out the edge of the road.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2022, 12:06:18 PM »
The wiring in the vehicle harness may be there for fog and reversing lights on both sides (commonality), and the light cluster plug contacts the relevant harness supply, but you'll very often find the light cluster panels are different and use the same (mirrored) section for fog (red) one side and reverse (clear) the other.
It should only have one fog, leave it as is.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2022, 04:15:25 PM »
However, with modern cars, you still have to have dipped headlights on, which causes bounceback negating the benefit of the fog lights.
It is illegal to use rear foglights in the rain.
Seems I  have put the cat among the pigeons with this one. Its just my opinion.   :-[

I agree about the Bounceback.

I  disagree that its illegal to use rear fog lights in the rain .    Highway Code rule 236  says

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Law RVLR regs 25 & 27"

It does not specify fog.   I agree normal rain does not justify rear fogs and would be illegal   but heavy rain  can seriously reduce visibility due mostly to spray from surface water  ,which is arguably fog anyway.    But i'd argue  it could also apply to other things like a dust storm, smoke, falling snow  .

The test I apply is if the outline of vehicles in front of me  'looms' into view   BEFORE their standard rear lights are visible (assuming the idiot has them on)  I'll put my rear fogs on. I have often experienced this situation in fog and heavy spray.   As soon as standard rear lights are  adequate I'll switch  my rear fogs off.     

« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 04:22:01 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2022, 07:03:09 PM »
Rule 236 of the Highway Code refers to driving in fog, not in heavy rain.

5. Fog (234 to 236)
Before entering fog check your mirrors then slow down. If ‘Fog’ is shown on a sign but the road is clear, be prepared for a bank of fog or drifting patchy fog ahead. Even if it seems to be clearing, you can suddenly find yourself in thick fog.

When driving in fog you should

use your lights as required (see Rule 226)
keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front. Rear lights can give a false sense of security
be able to pull up well within the distance you can see clearly. This is particularly important on motorways and dual carriageways, as vehicles are travelling faster
use your windscreen wipers and demisters
beware of other drivers not using headlights
not accelerate to get away from a vehicle which is too close behind you
check your mirrors before you slow down. Then use your brakes so that your brake lights warn drivers behind you that you are slowing down
stop in the correct position at a junction with limited visibility and listen for traffic. When you are sure it is safe to emerge, do so positively and do not hesitate in a position that puts you directly in the path of approaching vehicles.

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2022, 09:04:02 PM »
Oh what fun.  ;D  Highway code rule 226   -, overview for driving in adverse weather conditions  (not yet specifically for fog ,rules 234 -236)

Rule 226
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet).
You may  also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

This  overview does not refer specifically to fog, (other than referring to rule 236 which explains why having fog lights on at the wrong time is not a good idea. )   So its actually rule  226 that is my defence for using them in heavy spray  - with a definition of what constitutes  poor visibility  - although I think mine is better.       :P  (I was wrong to cite rule 236)

And also the highway code is not the law  , its the Road vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989  section 27 that prohibits their use  -
Rear fog lamp   
(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a following vehicle.
(b)Used so as to be lit at any time
other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.
(c)Save in the case of an emergency vehicle, used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

There is no mention of fog.just 'conditions of seriously reduced visibility  '

I would be very happy to argue my case in court on this  , in Rex -vs- Voltermore    ;D
The " man on the Clapham Omnibus"  would surely think it absurd I could be penalised for  minimising the chances of being rear ended  because its the wrong type of reduced visibility. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 09:20:22 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2022, 10:24:14 PM »
And I could equally argue that you driving ahead of me in heavy rain with a rear fog light on was causing me discomfort. See you in court.  ;D

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2022, 07:28:00 AM »
And I could equally argue that you driving ahead of me in heavy rain with a rear fog light on was causing me discomfort. See you in court.  ;D

If ,with my 20/20 vision,and windows properly clear of mist etc  I couldnt see more than 100 metres  at the time, then I could quite legitimately have rear fogs on.  I'd say if you are blinded by them you are too close  for the conditions.   - or I have  swept away some of the fog/spray for you. .   I prefer to follow someone in fog  as you know you can see the vehicle in front. As the 'pathfinder' into the unknown a poorly lit vehicle might suddenly appear.   

But you do make a good point. If there is a vehicle behind you that can clearly see you, and probably wondering why you are driving so slow,  then there is no longer a  need to have your  rear fogs on. . You would now be contravening the " used so as to cause undue dazzle..... " prohibition. 
One for the lawyers in silly wigs perhaps.   ;D

I'd just let you overtake, then follow you, and see how you like pathfinding into the unknown.    :o And leave my rear fogs on while I am still 'tail end charlie'.

I sometimes put my hazards on if traffic is coming to an unexpected halt. As soon as the car behind me  responds to the warning  I turn them off. 

We could become like the Wagatha Christie trial and  sell the rights to Hollywood for a film version.   The most suitable actors to play me might be too busy as the new James Bond.  What actor would you have playing your part?   8)

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 07:39:26 AM by Lord Voltermore »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2022, 11:01:13 AM »
Have to be Harrison Ford. Blind as a bat with no idea where he is going.

I remember driving along the M8 one foggy night and I came up behind a line of cars in lane one doing about 35 mph, I could see about half a mile of them so I cautiously overtook until I reached the front - and could see nothing. I slowed to 35 mph and pulled into lane 1 then waited for the next "me" to drive to the front of the queue. Visibility was reasonable until you had no reference points to measure it by.

Tags: