Author Topic: Hi there.  (Read 671 times)

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
Hi there.
« on: October 29, 2022, 08:23:09 PM »
 :)

Having owned a 2016 gd1 for the last 8yrs or so we have a new car in the family, a 2019 jazz SE.
Im hoping it will be as reliable as the mk1, which is still going strong at 156k miles.

I have had a good look through the forum and plan to do undersealing next year when weather improves, add some mesh so the air con condenser is protected a bit more, and I always do oil changes every 6 month and a quick look over regular service items.

Also while I'm here I might as well ask, I'm planning a hard wired dashcam so does anyone know which fuse is always on to save me hunting as long with the multimeter.  :)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Hi there.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 05:26:11 PM »
Hope you enjoy it.   

I dont know which fuses are always on.   If you do need to use a multimeter bear in mind fuses have two little electrical contacts on the top (where the fuse rating is printed) so you dont need to pull fuses to check.

But are you sure  always- on is a good idea?   Modern cars  have quite a high drain on their battery 24/7 from computers, alarm systems ,and other signals.   Adding yet another parasitic drain  could tip the balance  ,especially if the car does infrequent and short journeys.    I  had a corsa that would regularly flatten its large battery (It was a diesel)  due to a dealer fitted alarm system . An optional extra component plugged into the control unit had a flashing led.  When I  unplugged this  no more problems and the battery was going strong for years after that..   . Unless you are really sure a camera running 24/7  will detect and identify culprits when the car is  parked I'd go for ignition controlled.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

degzi

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
Re: Hi there.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 03:51:24 PM »
I wired in today before work, quite a simple job. I ended up using a switched fuse from the rear wiper.
Partly as you say the constant drain can't be good, along with the stop start system and alarm etc.
And also the dashcam didnt have a switched connection too, so I was dubious of its ability to know when it is in parking mode. Hmmmmm

I can always rig up a battery pack and run another wire up so if I'm parked up I can just switch over the and use the battery pack, and have that charge from the car instead.  ;D
Or its easy enough to find a constant on fuse.

Tags:

anything