Author Topic: Body roll/lean  (Read 3074 times)

Svashtar

• Registered Member
Body roll/lean
« on: October 09, 2022, 05:30:33 PM »
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum, not even a Honda owner  :). Ever. Well, not yet at least.

I have seen every possible review on YT, read a lot, even read this forum. And while MK4 does have some things that are not perfect (looks for example) it is growing on me ... and I am seriously thinking buying one. I need a second car, the one we have is big enough and I am looking for small but efficient car, with as much versatility in the small form. Hence I found Jazz. Everything else in this class just doesn't tickle me enough.

Anyways, one thing I have heard repeatedly is body lean. Can you please give me an honest feeling about it.

I currently own Citroën Cactus (first edition, 2014) and body lean is quite a problem. Not for me as a driver, but I will never forget my wifes sound when we went on first drive when she thought a car will just roll over on a roundabout  :D... you get used to it but it is annoying.

Thanks for any info
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 05:33:09 PM by Svashtar »

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
Re: Body roll/lean
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 07:29:38 PM »
Not been very aware of this on my Crosstar.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 09:55:15 PM »
The earlier Jazzes never suffered from excessive body roll so I cannot believe it would be a problem with the Mk4. In fact, with the battery set low down, it should be even more stable. Motoring journalists expect every family car to handle like a thoroughbred sports car. But they are not.

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 10:05:50 PM »
No such problems with my Jazz.... :)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 10:37:57 PM »
I do not corner aggressively but I have never thought the MK4 has noticeable body lean. If you take one for a test drive you can check it yourself.
Neil Ives

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 06:40:45 AM »
Citroen's have a very soft suspension set up, the consequences of which is body roll on fast cornering. The Jazz does not.
As a small city car the Jazz is higher than most and compared to its modern rivals, under hard cornering it will have a bit more body lean. It does not roll in my opinion.
On my test drive, around some lanes, it was something I never even noticed. 

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 07:40:14 AM »
Nothing I have noticed. I had Capturs before the Jazz, and the reviews always said they suffered from it... but again, I never noticed it. If you're buying a Jazz to fling it round corners and floor it everywhere, which is what most motoring journos seem to do.. then go buy an MX5 or such.
The only thing I have noticed is a slight tendency to understeer, and only really if pushed.

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 07:46:56 AM »

Anyways, one thing I have heard repeatedly is body lean.

Where?  I researched extensively before buying my Crosstar, ie every review & every YouTube video that I could find and I have NEVER heard body roll mentioned.  It just doesn't happen.

Svashtar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 08:08:42 AM »
I do not corner aggressively but I have never thought the MK4 has noticeable body lean. If you take one for a test drive you can check it yourself.

I am waiting for dealer to arrange the test drive.
We don't have much Honda dealers and Jazzes are not laying around as it seems.
Additionally, i want to try Jazz not Crosstar - which seems to be a problem.

But yeah, i am waiting for it.

Svashtar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 08:12:30 AM »
Nothing I have noticed. I had Capturs before the Jazz, and the reviews always said they suffered from it... but again, I never noticed it. If you're buying a Jazz to fling it round corners and floor it everywhere, which is what most motoring journos seem to do.. then go buy an MX5 or such.
The only thing I have noticed is a slight tendency to understeer, and only really if pushed.

I don't think I would be considering Jazz if my intention was to be aggressive.
But I can tell you that my Cactus is leaning a lot in a normal roundabout (small one), at 30 km/h - i don't think that's an aggressive driving - yet not really pleasant.

There also seems to be huge difference in feeling when you are driving or you are sitting as a passenger.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2022, 10:26:44 AM »
I've never noticed any more body roll than most other cars in its class.    But its not a sports car.

One advantage is the instant torque  from the electric motor, and not having to be in exactly the right gear for roundabouts and bends.  This can help steady the car even more. Sometimes a car is rolling because  the driver is having to spend time changing gear mid roundabout/bend .With the jazz you can simply  follow the ideal - enter slow,leave faster.With more time to concentrate on other traffic.

This instant torque also means its very quick away from traffic lights etc.No need for stop/ start engines to start, gears to change etc.  Touch the pedal and you're gone.  You'll leave  many BMW's and Audis behind   :P .    I thought I would miss not having manual gears. But I dont.  The hybrid is a delight to drive, especially in town  and heavy traffic.   

« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 10:40:50 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Svashtar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2022, 02:20:52 PM »
So, they just called me and I will pick up test car on Friday and I will take a weekend ride to seaside.
Sounds pretty good and I can't wait to test it. Nice weekend ahead :)

On the other hand, they only have Crosstar, and if I understood them correctly there seems to be no "not a crosstar" model registered in our country so far...which is worrying. Admittedly,  I haven't seen any Crosstar on the roads either.
From service perspective this is a big drawback. I doubt they know how to do any repairs if they have no cars to repair in the first place.

I will need to have a long and thorough conversation with myself :D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2022, 02:26:20 PM »
I think you will find that mechanically there is virtually no difference between the Jazz and the Crosstar. It is more bodywork, trim and a slight increase in ride height but I am sure the owners here will set you (and me) straight.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2022, 10:14:29 PM »
I have thrown my Jazz around some corners (only once). There was a bit of understeer but no uncomfortable lean or roll. I got some distance between me and the following car which didn't cope as well.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2022, 04:29:52 AM »
The MK4 is probably less prone to body roll because the centre of gravity will be lower due to the battery pack. I read somewhere that Honda also used more tensile steel to cater for the extra weight.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: