Author Topic: Tyre repair kit  (Read 1088 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Tyre repair kit
« on: November 14, 2022, 03:49:16 PM »
I found I had a flat tyre this morning so I used the temporary repair kit for the first time. It was easy use and worked well but when I reached the tyre depot they would not attempt a repair after the gunge had been used, saying that there is a chemical interaction of some sort. This contradicts the handbook, and I had to buy a new tyre. Also, the handbook says that the gunge bottle should not be removed from the pump, but it will have to be removed if I am to use the pump again. Any advice please?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Tyre repair kit
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 04:13:07 PM »
Lazy tyre shop not prepared to wash the old tyre.

I've seen a few similar posts.
Let's be careful out there !

Downsizer

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 04:28:59 PM »
I went to an independent tyre depot that I have used for 20 years and is well-regarded locally. Here is an extract from Kwikfit’s web-site so I think it’s a general problem.

“By its very nature, the sealant gel is sticky and difficult to remove from the tyre in its entirety. For this reason, we do not carry out permanent puncture repairs on tyres where a sealant gel has been applied as a clean, uncontaminated surface is required in order to carry out an effective and durable puncture repair”

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 05:58:11 PM »
I think some of the big tyre depot chains have  a policy of not repairing tyres if  sealant has been used.    It can depend  on what type of kit has been used.  National tyres will refuse if there is 'significant solvent contamination.'  Some of the aerosol can types  use  little more than a water and  latex foam solution that is easily washed off,   but I think the  kits that screw into an inflator pump use quite potent solvents that can be a pig to remove.  And its not enough to just scuff up a small area around a protruding nail  There may be  more penetrations hidden under a coating of solvent.    So removal might involve labour charges approaching the cost of a new tyre.  Assuming you can find somewhere willing to try.    And not all punctures can be repaired anyway.  They will only do it if its within  the centre 3/4 of the tread, otherwise its  considered too close to the side wall.  And not all  deflations can be fixed with a kit and you would need to call someone out.

If you have a slow puncture at any time you could try  pumping it up  without sealant to see if it stays up long enough to limp to a tyre fitters.   But you could ruin  the tyre if you drive it when too flat.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Downsizer

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 07:09:25 PM »
If you have a slow puncture at any time you could try  pumping it up  without sealant to see if it stays up long enough to limp to a tyre fitters.   But you could ruin  the tyre if you drive it when too flat.
I wish I’ld tried that - the tyre Michelin primacy 4 was only 3 weeks old! I’m not sure how slow the puncture was as I hadn’t used the car for three days.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 09:34:12 PM »
Also, the handbook says that the gunge bottle should not be removed from the pump, but it will have to be removed if I am to use the pump again. Any advice please?

When you get a replacement fluid, it comes as a kit with replacement pipes and connectors.

It should be 42774-TAR-G04

https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ/2016/14-ELEGANCE/UPHOLSTERY/REPAIR-KIT-TOOL/30746/B44/5/30746

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 04:47:21 AM »
£16.46

That's a lot cheaper than when I last looked a few years ago.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 07:36:40 AM »
So the cost of a new tyre and the  cost of a replacement kt . Certainly worth trying to avoid using a kit if you can.  Removing the wheel and taking it to the fitter on the bus maybe?   ;D And it must be particularly annoying if the tyre wasnt penetrated by a nail after all  but due to a leaking valve.

When my daughter had a puncture on her leased company car  they replaced all four tyres  :o They had a maintenance contract with the tyre fitter chain.They approved it and paid.   To be fair having a new tyre and a part worn one on the same axle is not advisable, and if the others were down to say 4mm thats quite a large percentage of their  useful  service life already gone.

Makes me glad I  always carry a full sized spare.  Bit of an inconvenience on the mk4 which as no spare wheel well, but still leaves more boot space than my Yaris had.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 08:42:54 AM »
IIRC if you have to replace a Porsche tyre then it's all 4 for the correct balance on a performance car.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 02:47:53 PM »
Often discussed topic.
Personally I hate the stuff. I bought a bike where the previous owner had some sealant stuff put in the tyres as a precautionary measure, something many dealers sold as a means for a bit more cash. It corroded the rims and caused leaks at the valve pockets. Filthy horrid stuff to clean out. Had to re-prime/paint the inside of the rims to kill the corrosion.
I don't blame tyre places for opting out of repairing when gunge has been used, even if it can be done and maybe is used as an excuse to sell new tyres.

On my bikes I carry repair sticky string/plugs and glue, with CO2 capsules or a small electric compressor when touring. I've used the string stuff ("gorilla snot") a couple of times with good success.
I have fitted a spacesaver spare in the Jazz, and it has the original compressor. I'd only ever use the sealant as a very last resort.

Tags: