Author Topic: Quiet tyres or Best Tyres - Anyone recommend?  (Read 2833 times)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Quiet tyres or Best Tyres - Anyone recommend?
« on: March 10, 2022, 07:36:33 AM »
Ill probably be changing my tyres next year but I wanted to get ahead and shortlist what I might get and get an idea for prices.

When I first had the Jazz I though the tyres were very noisy - I still do but it doesn't bother me now. But I wondered if anyone has any recommendations for a quieter tyre?

And/or just a good all round tyre for the Mk3 Jazz? Im probably more inclined to get a long lasting tyre now just to get max value..

Ive seen tyre threads in the past but thought id start a fresh topic.

Im in London (unfortunately) so the weather is generally mild.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 07:41:46 AM by JazzyJJ »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
Re: Quiet tyres or Best Tyres - Anyone recommend?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 08:29:56 AM »
Do you have 15" or 16" tyres? Are you looking for summer tyres or all season tyres? All season tyres are inevitably softer and therefore generally not as long lasting as summer tyres. Another thing to notice is speed index. Again generally lower speed index tyres last longer than higher speed classes.

When I need to get new summer tyres after the original Dunlops are worn out, I'll be looking for Michelin Primacy. If I had 15" wheels I'd go for Michelin Energy Saver. In my experience Michelin lasts 20-30 % longer than most comparable tyres. GoodYears are also better than average regarding lifetime.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 10:50:35 AM »
If by 'next year' you really do mean 2023   do bear in mind that tyre technology is improving all the time and manufacturers regularly bring out new 'improved' versions.     The old model may still be sold  for several years (ie its been in store for several years)  but they are not always priced  much cheaper than the latest improved  model.  And this years top recommended tyre may be well down the running order next year.

also you will often see the apparently same tyre can vary  a lot in price   depending on its speed rating . Yet I  have seen higher rated tyres cheaper than an otherwise identical  lower rated ones. It can depend on stock levels.   Comply with Hondas recommended minimum  ,but you may not need 130 mph rated  tyres when 118 mph will do  ;D

Prices can go up and down ,depending on season, stock surpluses ,  etc so its best to check on line nearer the time . 

Some of the big tyre  fitting chains such as kwikfit , national tyres etc do a good price on a limited range of 'recommended ' tyres.  (ie the ones where they have a good deal with the makers) The big on- line tyre suppliers  such as black circles  and mytyres  offer a wider choice   Black circles do a  fixed price fitting option.  Mytyres have recommended local fitters but some charge more than others. 

Have a look at Asda tyres on line   . They fit them near the fish counter. -  Only joking !  ;D .  They use  local tyre fitters at an all  inclusive price  .   When I google Asda tyres  black circles comes up  first. I suspect Asda are, in reality, Black Circles  but the 'Asda' price may sometimes be better  .

You can find lots of comprehensive tyre comparison tests on line, often by German and austrian motoring clubs.   They compare various  parameters, and no tyre  does well in all of them.  And one club may find  a 'winner'  thats near the bottom on the other.  You have to decide which attributes are most important to you.
An expensive brand  may give good mileage,  but at a price.  A tyre that wears faster may still be cost effective because of its lower price.  As long as you are not compromising on important performance advantages.
Then again you dont want a tyre thats great on noise,or  mileage, but wont stop or go round corners.   

I am a fan of all season tyres So maybe I am biased. It sounds like you have  considered these.

London may be comparatively mild, but all seasons are not all about snow.  They perform better than summer tyres when the temperature is + 7 degrees or less - often seen in London.  More flexible. And MUCH better than summer tyres if it does snow . Summer tyres can be like ice hockey pucks - border line lethal.   

They perform well enough in summer for most drivers.  But its true if you drive enthusiastically on warm dry roads  a good quality summer tyre has the edge over all seasons.  Just dont go out if its cold.   And of course some Budget brands may not be great even in summer. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Mr 8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Sport Navi
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 11:18:06 AM »
Do you have 15" or 16" tyres? Are you looking for summer tyres or all season tyres? All season tyres are inevitably softer and therefore generally not as long lasting as summer tyres. Another thing to notice is speed index. Again generally lower speed index tyres last longer than higher speed classes.

When I need to get new summer tyres after the original Dunlops are worn out, I'll be looking for Michelin Primacy. If I had 15" wheels I'd go for Michelin Energy Saver. In my experience Michelin lasts 20-30 % longer than most comparable tyres. GoodYears are also better than average regarding lifetime.

I replaced the Dunlops fitted to my 2018 Sport with Michelin Primacy. I was disappointed they lasted just the same mileage : 13500. Now replaced with Vredestein all seasons (Quatrac), a brand I have used and liked before. Quieter and comfortable. Very pleased so far.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 11:50:05 AM »
 No direct help I know, but a leading brand and coming top in tests is no guarantee   .

The last summer tyres I  bought, a few years ago, were Pirelli Cinturato P6.   Top in tests in 2010  , and back when I was an 'enthusiastic' young driver  Pirelli 'cints'  were the bees knees.   What could go wrong?   

I hated them.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 12:16:53 PM »
No direct help I know, but a leading brand and coming top in tests is no guarantee   .

The last summer tyres I  bought, a few years ago, were Pirelli Cinturato P6.   Top in tests in 2010  , and back when I was an 'enthusiastic' young driver  Pirelli 'cints'  were the bees knees.   What could go wrong?   

I hated them.

My first Civic had Pirelli tyres as OEM,  they gripped well, but the breakaway when it came was sudden.  They were also very, very noisy, when I changed to Michelin I thought I had gone deaf  :o  The Michelin were not quite as grippy, but the breakaway was a lot more gentle and predictable.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 01:26:26 PM »
I owned a CR-V back in 2007 and the tyres it came with from new lasted just over 20,000.  I replaced them with Michelin SUV tyres and they went on for 85,000.  Yes not a typo, I couldn't believe it.  The ride was a bit noisy but handling was good.

Although I have now moved on the Cross Climates, I wouldn't buy anything other than Michelin.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 01:37:22 PM »

I replaced the Dunlops fitted to my 2018 Sport with Michelin Primacy. I was disappointed they lasted just the same mileage : 13500. Now replaced with Vredestein all seasons (Quatrac), a brand I have used and liked before. Quieter and comfortable. Very pleased so far.
Thank you for this information, eventhough it is disappointing! I have to dig deeper when it's time to replace Dunlops.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 05:43:09 PM »
I m using Maxxis PremitraAP3 all seasons tyre. Excellent value and seems to be quieter than my previous Nexen  All season.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 05:44:53 PM by 123Drive! »

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 08:12:21 AM »
Thanks for replies. I will research those mentioned.

Looking for all season tyres.
I have 16" tyres.
My tread was 4-5mm on front last service (June 21). I want to check again myself (today).
Ive done approx 12500 miles in 3.75 years.

Might change towards end of year if 3.5mm by then but im currently doing less than 3k miles a year.

Was looking at Costco near me. £90 inc fitting for Goodyear EnergyGrip Performance.

I need to look around and with inflation prices are likely going up by the time I need new tyres.... so im just shortlisting potential tyres.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 01:32:36 PM by JazzyJJ »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 08:32:05 AM »
I need to look around and with inflation prices are likely going up by the time I need new tyres....

They generally don't charge to inflate the tyres :D

Redstart

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 09:08:04 PM »
I put Crossclimates on my 68 jazz. They are quiet and handle pretty well. Been on 17,000 miles still 5mm left. Costco had a deal on. £67 a corner.

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 08:02:31 AM »
I put Crossclimates on my 68 jazz. They are quiet and handle pretty well. Been on 17,000 miles still 5mm left. Costco had a deal on. £67 a corner.

My costco, preferred tyre place, doesnt have cross climates, only enerygrip. Id put cross climates otherwise. Energygrip is 80 a tyre + fitting i think extra. Maybe 90 a corner. Pretty expensive vs 67.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2022, 10:43:03 AM »

My costco, preferred tyre place, doesnt have cross climates, only enerygrip. Id put cross climates otherwise. Energygrip is 80 a tyre + fitting i think extra. Maybe 90 a corner. Pretty expensive vs 67.
I'd rather have the tyres I want   than the tyre place I want. 

Many tyre places might order them in specially  if you asked  ,  or might be on the  list of approved  tyre fitters for one of the big on-line tyre suppliers.    Or would fit them anyway if you bought the tyres yourself.      But maybe not costco which I believe is an unusual business model.

But overall cost could still be a factor . And the small advantages  a tyre may have over its  rivals in reviews  may not justify the resultant price hike .
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 11:13:44 AM by Lord Voltermore »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2022, 12:33:31 PM »
I'd rather have the tyres I want   than the tyre place I want. 

Many tyre places might order them in specially if you asked.

100% agree. My local tyre fitter, Target Tyres in Sowerby Bridge, can get pretty much any tyre I want. We do have the advantage of one of the largest tyre distributors depots being just down the road in Elland.

Over the life of a tyre, the price differential between an average tyre and a quality tyre might be, what £150 across a set of four. What is that over the years you will be risking your life driving around on them?

Tags:

anything