Author Topic: My first week with the HR-V  (Read 3109 times)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
My first week with the HR-V
« on: January 23, 2022, 08:23:42 PM »
Review of my first impressions of the HR-V e:HEV in the HR-V section of this forum.
My first impressions of the superb Honda HR-V e:HEV
My overall rating. 9/10.*
Following an 80 mile round trip at the weekend.
One must bear in mind that I have owned it less than a week and am still coming to terms with a fairy steep learning curve with all the ‘gizmos’. I have not gone very far into all the ‘Honda Sensing’ kit yet.
Gizmology, (so far)
LKA is gentle and not intrusive. RDMS has lit up once or twice but hasn’t apparently done anything apart from a gentle tug on the steering wheel to guide the car away from the N/S verge?
As in Jazz & Crosstar, if you don’t want it you have to turn it off, as default is ON. Blind spot monitor works well. Used to beep, but doesn’t now, Have I turned something off by mistake?
ACC, Turned it on but traffic too light to see it operate as far as distance and stopping is concerned.
Economy,
Outbound. 52mpg including some 70mph A35 in eco mode. Inbound 63mpg on slower A roads. Using varying regen levels, depending on circumstances. In Eco all the time. 24th Jan 71.8mpg on 2 mile trip round Poole this morning. Very impressive!
Performance,
Excellent, Certainly as good as the Karoq, although i have yet to actually time speeds 0-62 and through the gears. overtake-abiity very good even in ECO if ‘kicked down’. I would say better than Karoq.
Ride,
Very comfortable, suspension set up/tyre size well sorted. No crashing on uneven surfaces, copes very well with the usual rubbish British roads.
Roadholding,
Excellent. Very ’surefooted’. Just as good as any other of the 7 SUVs I have owned.
Seating/seat heating.
Very comfortable. In spite of no lumbar support and my very bad back. All the Hondas I have owned have always had excellent seats. Honda very stingy in not having passenger seat height adjustable, although in our case is completely irrelevant. Seats heat up very quickly, which is just as well as the ICE takes longer to heat up than a pure petrol engined car. A good thing is that once turned on, they stay on the next time you start the car.
Boot and interior size,
Although listed as a rather stingy 315 litres (due to the battery being under the boot floor) it is exactly the same horizontal (WxL) dimensions as a Karoq Sportline. I can only assume that it is quoted at less due to the sloping roof line of the HR-V.
More importantly for me the boot floor is completely flat, including when the back seats are put down. Quite big enough for a 25Kg Lurcher girly.
‘Magic’ seats are a brilliant idea. Leg room for rear seat passengers is HUGE. I am 6’ and can ’sit behind myself’ with the driver’s seat adjusted for self. Front passenger leg room good, I can sit with straight legs with seat right back. Drivers leg room not so good (obviously!). Left foot MUST be kept on foot rest as brake pedal a bit too close if left foot extended on the floor. (size 10!)
Noise,
Around town brilliant! On some tarmac surfaces at high speed slightly intrusive, on others ok, Obviously depends on the actual surface. Car shod with 225/50R18 Michelin Primacy4.
HOWEVER! Wind noise is quite intrusive at speed. For some reason worse in the front passenger seat than the driver’s (Yes I did let SWMBO drive it this morning!)😱.
Nearly all the YTube reviewers have moaned about the CVT type (many even that it HAS a CVT, which it does NOT!) ‘mooing’
on hard acceleration. Take it from me, they are talking absolute rubbish. Unless the car is driven by an idiot (like many reviewers) The noise is no worse than an ICE powered car at full chat and in an overtake manoeuvre doesn’t last long enough to be of any annoyance.
Heating with heater off.
As above, slower than an ICE car, but even in the freezing weather we have had of late, is of little importance, since the seat heaters are excellent and speedy, coupled with the heated steering wheel. Once the ICE is hot you can get a quite useable amount of hot air without actually turning the heater on, over 40mph the airflow over the car is good enough to give a decent amount of heat. (outside temp 5c).
General jottings.
STEERING. Turns in well. nicely weighted with no signs of over or under steer. Gives one a very confident feeling.
E Driving. As long as the battery has 4 bars of charge, on a level road, the car will generally stay in E mode up to about 40mph. 5 bars will enable nearer 50mph. As soon as the battery drops to 3 bars the ICE will kick in, either to drive the car with E assistance, or pure petrol, again depending on speed and upward incline.

Some not so good points*. Starting with the most important/annoying and some suggestions for Honda.
1. Heavy condensation inside rear window. A real pain! I have had this before on a PHEV. Could the traction battery give off heat after a drive which then causes the back window to condense as the outside temperature drops? Bearing in mind the HRV battery is under the boot floor. Presumably will go away as the weather warms up.
2.The chime when your bum hits the driving seat. Thank you Honda, but I am aware I have just got into the car!
3.The warning screen which seems to be common on Japanese & Korean cars and has to be cancelled, or wait for it to cancel itself. WHY do the Asian manufacturers love their ‘bongs’ so much. Perhaps it connected to their love of revolting orange pseudo wood interior finishes.
Suggestions for Honda.
1. You fitted an excellent full width light bar at the rear, Why ON EARTH did you not instal sequential indicators to match the front, instead of the stupidly small indicators that the car has?
2. I haven’t had a car without a leather gear knob for at least 15 years.YEN pinching or WHAT? Rubber one fitted to the HR-V is not nice!!
3. More sound deadening required. For wind noise and engine. I have never heard a Honda engine running on any of those I have owned, but you can just hear this one although it is not intrusive.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 11:09:35 AM by Karoq »
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Expatman

• Approved Member
Re: My first week with the HR-V
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 10:23:13 PM »
Review of my first impressions of the HR-V e:HEV in the HR-V section of this forum.
Can’t find the review anywhere!

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 12:28:07 PM »
Thanks for your one week impressions of the HR-V, extremely valuable to me as I have just about narrowed down my selection to the HR-V and the Mk2 VW T-Roc. Only able to see first impressions of updated T-Roc visuals on YouTube, it looks like it will be Spring before it is available to configure and be viewed in showrooms. Looked at T-Roc before but spartan interior put me off while the Mk2 reputedly has a higher quality feel with soft touch materials and availability of leather seats etc. However, won’t be able to do a price/attribute comparison until it is on VW Configurator. And, of course, it will in the end come down to how they both are to drive.
I must say your review is very positive and, apart from wind noise, seems that you are enjoying your HR-V. MPG is excellent - certainly wouldn’t get that in a T-Roc - fast seat heaters are encouraging in a Hybrid car where the ICE heat will probably take longer to come through, although I suspect that depends on settings and whether it is driven for max efficiency or max comfort; me, I would tend to max comfort!
I am pleased you say it has a very comfortable ride because that it one thing that is essential - wife has back problem - and hopefully the fixed height passenger seat will be high enough for her - why Honda penny pinch on not providing a height adjustable passenger seat is as much a mystery to me as you. Boot size is not a problem for us.
Please keep posting your views after you have lived with the car a bit longer and it gets to be a regular transport with the newness gloss worn off.
Thanks

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 01:52:36 PM »
E Driving. As long as the battery has 4 bars of charge, on a level road, the car will generally stay in E mode up to about 40mph. 5 bars will enable nearer 50mph. As soon as the battery drops to 3 bars the ICE will kick in, either to drive the car with E assistance, or pure petrol, again depending on speed and upward incline.
I think you'll discover that the level of battery charge (provided over the 3 bars threshold) isn't a factor in the willingness to use the EV mode. I think the governing factor is whether the power needed can be provided by the engine running in its zone of maximum efficiency. My Crosstar will cruise in EV mode at 70mph on a gentle downhill and I expect the HR-V is the same.

Suggestions for Honda.
1. You fitted an excellent full width light bar at the rear, Why ON EARTH did you not instal sequential indicators to match the front, instead of the stupidly small indicators that the car has?
2. I haven’t had a car without a leather gear knob for at least 15 years.YEN pinching or WHAT? Rubber one fitted to the HR-V is not nice!!
3. More sound deadening required. For wind noise and engine. I have never heard a Honda engine running on any of those I have owned, but you can just hear this one although it is not intrusive.

I agree with 1 and 3 but am not worried by 2: On many journeys I only touch the gear shift twice - once at the start and once at the end. Those sequential indicators considerably make it much easier for other drivers to see the signal compared to a flashing light in a cluster where the orange can be difficult to see if the other lights are on (there should be a regulation requiring a minimum physical separation between the indicators and other bulbs). Less generous sound insulation seems to be a Honda characteristic. Reduced cabin space and increased vehicle weight may be factors but my view is that if I can hear the engine then that's a warning of it running outside the zone of optimum efficiency.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 03:02:00 PM »
If the blind spot monitor is the same as the Mk4 Jazz, you only get the beep warning if your indicators are on.

You can also turn off the beep with indicators and just have the warning lights with indicators in settings if you want.

Rear window condensation - maybe the boot carpet was slightly damp/cleaned and it will take a while with aircon to dry out completely? I haven't had any internal condensation on my rear window from new in my Mk4 Jazz.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 03:07:51 PM »
I've turned all beeps off on mine as well. There are so many listed I'd never know what it was.
Let's be careful out there !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 05:23:02 PM »
How is it going after a month with your new HR-V?

Tags: