Author Topic: Auto lights  (Read 2908 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Auto lights
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2022, 06:35:11 PM »
I've had journeys in what I would call 'good daylight' but the lights stayed on.

Annoying.
I wonder if there's inadequate quality control for the ambient light sensors. I could rarely fault the judgement of my Crosstar regarding the auto headlights but my 2022 HR-V is over-eager to turn the lights on. Nearly 2 hours before sunset on a sunny day suggests something isn't calibrated properly (I was driving away from the sun but the ground in front was illuminated by the sunlight). The head of my dealer's service department says there's nothing in the info provided to dealers relating to the sensitivity adjustment. He did, at my request, ask Honda. That was two weeks ago and I've heard nothing more. I'm wondering if there is no capability for calibration or adjustment and Honda assume the components they receive are perfect.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2022, 03:42:03 AM »
Sounds like we need an adjustment control like the auto wipers.

Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2022, 07:18:09 AM »
If there is no way a dealer can adjust the sensitivity  electronically  maybe it can be done physically  with a filter over the light sensor to reduce the amount of light it receives.  It would have to be a diy job, with lots of trial and error, and a bit of a bodge really   but may be worthwhile if its of concern. 

Maybe in bright sun put a layer of  clingfilm self adhering to the sensor to see if the lights goes out, and maybe more layers until it does. Or try  a camera lens filter, or tinted filter film, or even a cheap pair of clip- on sunglasses.  8) (if these work in tests ,they often have thin plastic lenses that can be cut to shape with scissors for a more suitable fixing.  ) Or wherever ingenuity and availability takes you.

Then test it at lower light levels to ensure the lights still come on when appropriate .

We shouldn't have to do this  of course,but if needs must....
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 07:32:07 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2022, 07:46:00 AM »
If there is no way a dealer can adjust the sensitivity  electronically  maybe it can be done physically  with a filter over the light sensor to reduce the amount of light it receives.
That would just make them come on in brighter light.

In any case I can't see what the issue is.  Does it really matter if the lights are on?  As Jocko pointed out there is built-in hysteresis to prevent them from going on and off, so little danger of people thinking you are flashing them.

I would worry more if they were not coming on when they should.  Better to be seen than not seen in my opinion.

Having said all of that, mine appear to work almost flawlessly on the HR-V.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2022, 10:23:52 AM »
I wish all cars had automatic lights: How often do we see rain coloured grey cars belting past us on motorways, when it's raining, without any lights on!?
Neil Ives

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2022, 10:31:20 AM »
Hear hear!.
It always amazes me that on average the 'non lit in grotty conditions. cars are black or grey. Perhaps they think turning the lights on costs money? ;D
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2022, 10:34:55 AM »
Ours works fine, albeit a little early. I've never worried about it: I'd rather have it a little (too?) early than a little too late.

See and be seen!
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2022, 10:42:02 AM »
If there is no way a dealer can adjust the sensitivity  electronically  maybe it can be done physically  with a filter over the light sensor to reduce the amount of light it receives.
That would just make them come on in brighter light.

Whoops , I had a senior moment.   :-[      Its why my cunning plans have never made me my fortune.  Fundamentally flawed.    I'll have to go into politics.   ;D

BROC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY24 ZR-V Advance
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2022, 11:09:41 AM »
I am impressed with the auto lights on the new Jazz. I drove mine for the first time at night this weekend and I thought they illuminated the road very well. I was especially impressed with the performance of auto-main beam,  it worked flawlessly. 

It doesn't bother me if they come on too early at dusk, I am a firm believer in "see and be seen"

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2022, 11:34:45 AM »
I've had journeys in what I would call 'good daylight' but the lights stayed on.

Annoying.
I wonder if there's inadequate quality control for the ambient light sensors. I could rarely fault the judgement of my Crosstar regarding the auto headlights but my 2022 HR-V is over-eager to turn the lights on. Nearly 2 hours before sunset on a sunny day suggests something isn't calibrated properly (I was driving away from the sun but the ground in front was illuminated by the sunlight). The head of my dealer's service department says there's nothing in the info provided to dealers relating to the sensitivity adjustment. He did, at my request, ask Honda. That was two weeks ago and I've heard nothing more. I'm wondering if there is no capability for calibration or adjustment and Honda assume the components they receive are perfect.
As far as I can remember after a quick look, HDS utility has not the function to set-adjust the sensitivity of rain and light sensors.
In my 2017 Jazz both sensors work fine, I noticed that around sunset  lights stay off if ambient light is stable, i.e. in an open and sunny highway but come and stay on if the road is shadowed by some trees or buildings or mountains... For this and other behaviours (like lights on if wipers are on), I think that some software forces lights on in some circumstances for safety matters, increasing visibility in both directions (to see and to be seen). And the only way for the system to turn on rear lights is to turn them on with front lights.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 11:55:26 AM by jazzaro »

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2022, 12:03:52 PM »
I thought they illuminated the road very well. I was especially impressed with the performance of auto-main beam,  it worked flawlessly. 

Germans test everything and they do it thoroughly. Also the lighting of cars. Here's a test of the Jazz's LED headlights:

The video speaks for itself, I translate the valuation (4:18) for you:

impeccable!
Very satisfactory for standard lighting technology.
Responding to oncoming and ahead traffic is just as reliable.

To compare: the Toyota Yaris:

Valuation (5:11):

Because of the fog, it was an "increased level of difficulty."
Nevertheless, the reaction to oncoming and ahead traffic could be much better. Even without fog, oncoming traffic was briefly blinded.
The illumination of the high beam is also more selective in the distance and only conditionally "helpful".

Unfortunately, they have not tested at what light intensity the automatic lighting switches on. Although... that's totally unimportant to me...

If nothing goes right, go left!

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2022, 01:54:25 PM »
Hear hear!.
It always amazes me that on average the 'non lit in grotty conditions. cars are black or grey. Perhaps they think turning the lights on costs money? ;D
Why is it that people who drive dark coloured cars seem to be the last to put their lights on.

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2022, 02:23:39 PM »
My headlights are so bright NASA could navigate with them.......

Sometimes the lights do seem to come on/not come on a bit erratically in my opinion, ie on when bight, not on when dim.

I have noticed that the full beam is very sensitive - not great on very winding roads where it comes on, goes off, comes on, goes off.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2022, 03:03:57 PM »

I have noticed that the full beam is very sensitive - not great on very winding roads where it comes on, goes off, comes on, goes off.

This sounds like Auto High beam. See page 199 of the on line manual.  There is a list of situations where the system might be confused such as constantly changing light levels,  or if its picking up street lights, bill boards, reflections etc. In those circumstances you need to switch between dipped and main beam manually  - just like in the old days.

i find the auto system works quite well in the right conditions  , but I often prefer to do it manually anyway.   

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2022, 05:15:01 PM »

This sounds like Auto High beam. See page 199 of the on line manual.  There is a list of situations where the system might be confused such as constantly changing light levels,  or if its picking up street lights, bill boards, reflections etc. In those circumstances you need to switch between dipped and main beam manually  - just like in the old days.

i find the auto system works quite well in the right conditions  , but I often prefer to do it manually anyway.   

yes, I think you are right. Only had the car 3 weeks, so still learning. The first day I tried taking it off auto for this very reason, it took me 15 mins to leave my car as it kept beeping at me when IO got out and shut the door.... hadn't twigged I had to turn it BACK to auto when attempting to leave the car!!

Tags: