Author Topic: Another Mk4 Review  (Read 2471 times)

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Another Mk4 Review
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 08:30:03 AM »
I wonder if that's an old review that's been recycled. There are a couple of remarks where owners' experience may be different.

"We achieved more than 45mpg in town and nearer to 60mpg on the motorway."

That's a very poor urban mpg possibly caused by doing a very short journey with a cold engine.

"It’s a shame that the fixed-gear auto transmission develops such a racket when you demand full acceleration but the din calms down when you’re just cruising."

It's not the transmission but the Atkinson cycle engine having to rev itself to produce the power needed for full acceleration. Better sound insulation would reduce the noise.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 09:52:25 AM »
Yes, reviewers seem to always stamp on the accelerator all the way down and then complain about the racket, when that's exactly what the system is designed to do.

I can accelerate from 60-70mph on the motorway uphill briskly just using 1/3-1/2 accelerator and no racket, there's just a small delay while the system sends electricity to the motor to give you a constant acceleration and there's no need for full revs just to get that extra 20% of performance unless you absolutely need it.

Poor reviewers just call it a CVT, when it's really a range-extender self-charging EV with a fixed 6th gear cruising gear.

I think the sound insulation is very good in the Jazz. I used to have a previous generation Yaris hybrid, when it rained it was like you were sitting inside a biscuit tin as the noise from the roof of the raindrops was awful!

45mpg around town is probably trips of a couple of miles from cold. I can get that MPG on similar journeys, but doing the same journey with a fully warm engine gets me 70mpg.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 09:57:21 AM by sportse »

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 09:55:05 AM »
I wonder if that's an old review that's been recycled. There are a couple of remarks where owners' experience may be different.

"It’s a shame that the fixed-gear auto transmission develops such a racket when you demand full acceleration but the din calms down when you’re just cruising."

It's not the transmission but the Atkinson cycle engine having to rev itself to produce the power needed for full acceleration. Better sound insulation would reduce the noise.

I totally agree with John's assessment of this report.
I do wonder sometimes whether some of these journalists actually drive the cars they are reporting on.

As regards the 'transmission' noise. There is no noise from the transmission.
Any noise is just the engine having to work harder to produce the required power and in my opinion it is still much quieter than my previous Mk2/3 Jazz CVT cars

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 10:24:20 AM »
I haven't bothered to read the review as I am sick to the back teeth, being a serious petrolhead, of these idiot newspaper reporters reviewing cars.
They need to stick to reporting news and not playing with cars, that NONE of them understand fully. In the main their ignorance of things automotive is staggering.
There are plenty of reviewers on Youtube who actually enjoy what they are doing and tale the trouble to delve into the cars they review and get their facts correct.
The best of the lot in my opinion is 'Autogefeuhl'. Usually a good 45 minutes worth of review. The fact that it is a German web site really doesn't matter as Thomas and his team speak impeccable English.
He has reviewed the  MkIV Jazz e:HEV. Here.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 10:36:14 AM by Karoq »
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 12:23:20 PM »
Yes - saw that review myself on YouTube. He's excellent.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 12:43:22 PM »
 ::)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 11:01:43 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 12:44:37 PM »
The best of the lot in my opinion is 'Autogefeuhl'. Usually a good 45 minutes worth of review. The fact that it is a German web site really doesn't matter as Thomas and his team speak impeccable English.
I was amazed to hear a German speaker say some features were superior to VW!
Neil Ives

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 02:13:13 PM »
Excellent review and he was very fair in his analysis of pros and cons of the powertrain. Very good at low and moderate speeds but not-so-good and noisy at higher speeds and acceleration up to motorway speeds. To be fair most credible reviews have said the same thing and highlighted that the Jazz is perfect for those who generally use their car locally rather than mainly motorway driving - which is most of us! The huge question for Honda is whether enough buyers will pay the premium for the sophistication and economy of the hybrid powertrain.
I am waiting to see road test reviews of the new HR-V and how it performs in motorway use, same drivetrain as Jazz (bit more power) but larger frame might allow for more soundproofing and better noise control at high power demands. Atkinson engines are more economical at the expense of lower power outputs and Honda have chosen economy over fitting a standard Otto cycle engine which would have provided more power and lower sound levels at the expense of higher fuel consumption.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 02:18:10 PM »
I've read many articles about MK4 Jazz motorway driving but I'm finding mine no noisier than my old 9G Civic.

Let's be careful out there !

Deathstar

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2021, 03:41:03 PM »
In fact I’d say it’s quieter than the 10G. The wife had the 1.6 diesel, and it was not just engine noise you got, but also a lot of road noise that reverberated in the boot.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2021, 03:58:32 PM »
I agree that 'noise' is a personal comparative sensation. Some noises are pleasant and others wearing. Engine noise is not always unpleasant but road and wind noise is always unwelcome and tiring to me.
The noise from the Jazz under hard acceleration or hill climbing seems to be able to be minimised by backing off the accelerator, to me it's a question of how much you have to back off to moderate the engine noise?

sportse

• Approved Member
Another Mk4 Review
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2021, 08:13:11 PM »
You don’t have to back off much to reduce the noise while still getting good acceleration.

I discovered when running mine in that I was actually going at normal speeds and decent acceleration even though I was trying to be extra gentle with the engine in the first 600 miles.

I’d press the accelerator maybe 1/3, then if it started to Rev too much for me then back off slightly.

It doesn’t ‘feel’ fast but is accelerating at a constant rate all the time rather than a normal car which might get a surge of initial acceleration before dropping off later.

Because the sound proofing is good and the drivetrain generally quiet it might seem loud at some points but it’s only because the car is quieter than another one would be when cruising.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 08:17:25 PM by sportse »

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2021, 10:34:04 PM »
You don’t have to back off much to reduce the noise while still getting good acceleration.

Because the sound proofing is good and the drivetrain generally quiet it might seem loud at some points but it’s only because the car is quieter than another one would be when cruising.
How about road and wind noise?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2021, 04:44:44 AM »
I'm finding very little of each. This Jazz is very well designed and insulated IMO.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything