Author Topic: 55 Plate - Over/Under Steer  (Read 863 times)

guest7877

55 Plate - Over/Under Steer
« on: August 14, 2018, 07:33:39 PM »
We have just aquired a 55 plate Jazz 1.4SE for the Mrs to learn in. Obviously its an older car but its low mileage as the old guy had it from new with full service history which doesn't show anything major done.

The symptoms are general steering its like the car carries on going the way you turn even after your turning the other way, its not massive but its enough to make you think something isn't quite right somewhere as you often panic is turning back too much to correct, then as a consequence you have the same happening on the other side! The Mrs nearly hit a post box on the right side of the road whilst turning right the other night, its probably a bit of her lack of driving experience but also this issue. I've never driven a Jazz before but surely this kind of thing isn't right and not good if she's learning in it. Its just passed its MOT with no issues, so wondering what I could check before I whack it into Honda for a check up.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: 55 Plate - Over/Under Steer
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 08:30:17 AM »
I believe the Mk 1 Jazz has Honda's first attempt at electrically powered steering (more energy efficiency than hydraulic powered) and is less precise than later versions. This may be part of your problem and is something that people get used to. It may also be worthwhile getting the steering geometry checked. The MOT tends to check for deterioration and damage and may not check how well a vehicle steers.

Also see this steering-related discussion https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10404.0 which links to other discussions.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:33:04 AM by John Ratsey »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: 55 Plate - Over/Under Steer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:34:18 AM »
I would certainly see about getting the geometry checked. The like of Kwik Fit do it while you wait. But first I would check my tyre pressures.
As John say, the MOT inspector drives it from the parking bay, onto the ramp, then back out again. If everything is tight and intact he doesn't mind if the wheels point to the four winds.

Tags:

anything