Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: WTO rules?
« Last post by culzean on Today at 12:26:32 PM »
https://www.robert-schuman.eu/en/european-issues/0439-coalition-democracy-in-europe

Coalition government is more the norm in Europe than single party governments,  proportional representation normally results in a messy coalition which achieves little.  So what is the big problem with a 'minority party'  in UK that forms a coalition as the Tories have with DUP, why is it OK in Europe but not in UK ?  I does not seem to affect the way European parties choose their leaders and there is not this call from opposition that when you change leader you have to have a general election to 'legitimise' the new leader.  Labout need to be careful about delaying Brexit and calling for a GE, the Brexit party ( should be called UK democratic party IMHO ) could beat labour,  or at least hold the balance of power in any future parliament - If a new conservative leader takes us cleanly out of EU the Brexit party may be sidelined,  but if they don't its influence will continue to grow. 

Mother Theresa rejected a good deal with EU because it did not keep UK 'closely aligned enough with EU' - typical actions of a remainer pretending to be a leaver.   Steve Baker resigned from his post as Minister in DeXEU in disgust about how May was handling negotiations.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1130947/Brexit-news-Theresa-May-deal-resignation-UK-EU-withdrawal-free-trade-Steve-Baker-latest

EU decision making is a clear as Mississippi mud - with many back-room deals done, some of which get publicised, some that don't.  There is a nasty coalition between EU and multinational companies.
« Last post by MartinJG on Today at 12:12:32 PM »
A few moons ago I alluded to the English Civil War on this thread (which now seems one step away from going global. Jocko, what have you started?!) with reference to the Roundheads and Cavaliers. The movement that is the Brexit Party, led by a latter day Cromwell, is marching on London and fast approaching the gates while a hitherto PM  'fiddles while the UK burns'. As we know, Cromwell came to a sticky end, albeit posthumously, at the hands of the gaggle of cowardly grey 'men' he had deposed and whose only feeble recourse was to exhume his body, hang it high and renew relations with the crown. Praiseworthy courage indeed. The irony of this gesture represents the very reason Cromwell emerged in the first place. He had been due to leave Blighty and sail to The Americas to avoid religious persecution as a Puritan. Back at base, I am sure Nigel Farage is perfectly aware of  the bigger picture and all that has gone before. Curiously, I read somewhere that his family were among the Huguenots who fled France for this country to avoid religious persecution. The great thing about history is that we have the opportunity to make sure we never repeat our mistakes, if we chose. Despite all the good intentions of 'changing politics for good', I suspect gravity will take its toll over time and the nation will return to the business of shop keeping. The pendulum will swing. Hopefully, no heads will roll, but gradually, we will see a reversion to the mean. The institutions play a long game and the fleas that cling to that foolish golden fleece know this only too well. They have tried intimidation and it failed. Next on the list will be appeasement as the main parties rally to take the new central ground, subject to the quasi referendum results of the EU election, in a bid to persuade the restless natives to return to their homes. If that fails, the third and final step could be a painful attempt by one contrived financial means or another to crack the whip. At this point, the disenfranchised, Soubry et al, will crawl out of the woodwork with stabbing fingers screaming 'we told you so'. But in truth, what is life without a purpose. Till now, Nigel Farage has been seen as an Agent Provocateur by his opponents and the Pied Piper by his followers. Cynical detractors will point to the latter and bemoan the loss of a generation of children. I say that is all part of growing up, tough as that may seem in this increasingly naive and cosseted world where future generations are seemingly cultivated for the perceived common good. To continue in a literary vein, picture a similar scenario portrayed by HG Wells in The Time Machine where the Eloi were fed and watered by the Morlocks for their own sinister ends. Either way, it really is up to the people of this country to make sure the balance of power is redressed and maintained. But democracy is a fickle creature and apathy and temptation are never far away. Bit by bit, popcorn politics will creep back onto the menu with oodles of soapy entertainment thrown in for good measure. That is the very reason why we are where we are.

Just out of interest, how much would the 2 or 2.1 bar figures have to vary, to trigger an alert?

Just one data point but the last genuine warning I had it was about 6 psi down.
« Last post by sparky Paul on Today at 11:37:31 AM »
At least the party in power is voted for by general public, who they choose as leader is down to party members

The 'party in power' is currently running a minority administration.

I don't know which arcane system the EU uses, but I don't recall we had any say in choosing Junckers, as David Cameron knew what a disaster he would be and couldn't stop it.   It seems that Junckers chose his successor Martin Selmayr.

I don't know where you get the idea that Junckers chooses his successor, or indeed that Selmayr is his successor. As far as I can see, the EPP lead candidate for president is right winger Martin Weber.

That does not mean Weber will be Junckers' successor as President, he is only the EPP grouping's lead candidate. Whether he is actually appointed as President depends the EPP grouping acheiving a plurality of votes in the european elections, and then the subsequent vote of the EU council and the vote of all of the publicly elected MEPs.

The european party groupings choose their candidates for president prior to the elections, and the final candidate for president is chosen from the political grouping which has the plurality of votes in the elections. Juncker was selected by the EPP's as their candidate for the post prior to the 2014 elections, and subsequently confirmed as president by the EU Council and the final vote by MEPs.

For all its faults, it looks far more democratic than this fiasco.
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 11:31:47 AM »
Just watched Dominic Raab on "The Andrew Marr Show" and acquitted himself very well.
From starting driving, 40 plus years ago, I have checked my tyre pressures, on a monthly basis, or thereabouts.

My Jazz is no different, and I find that I put in 2 or 3 psi, some of which is lost in the connection / disconnection.

I do not re calibrate, and indeed, it was 6 months, before I discovered on this forum, that it should be done!

So far....etc. etc.

Just out of interest, how much would the 2 or 2.1 bar figures have to vary, to trigger an alert?

New Members / Re: Hello
« Last post by RichardA on Today at 11:23:23 AM »
Hello and welcome. :)
« Last post by RichardA on Today at 11:21:40 AM »
Remember that Gordon Brown became PM without even so much as a formal leadership election within Labour; his only challenger - John McDonnell - failed to get enough nominations to even get on the ballot paper.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Spark plug removal/change
« Last post by culzean on Today at 10:17:07 AM »
All the threads are RH threads, looking on the top of bolt or spark plug they loosen anti-clockwise.  Be careful if the plugs have been in for a long time as they can be very tight, do not force them too much as the steel wall of plug is fairly thin and they can snap off,  if they are tight just undo them as much as you can and put some plusgas ( or any proper penetrating oil, but not standard WD40,  I think WD40 may make a pen oil as part of their range though )  down the thread and leave to soak, and then turn a bit forward and a bit back till thread starts to free up.   I always get engine warm before removing plugs as the alloy head expands faster than the steel of the plug thread and eases the pressure on the thread a bit.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-maintenance-accessories/maintenance-fluids-and-greases/maintenance-fluids/?542772550&0&cc5_858&type=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyOSEyu-44gIVC5ztCh3qMA1mEAQYAiABEgKjOPD_BwE

The only place you may find left Hand threads on vehicles is on the axles or transmission.   But the nuts or bolt head should be marked.

http://www.metricmcc.com/catalog/Ch10/10-1022.pdf
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Spark plug removal/change
« Last post by midg8290 on Today at 10:01:22 AM »
There are 8 plugs in total. 4 along the back of the engine and 4 along the front. NKG BKR6E-11 spark plugs. 16 mm socket, as far as I am aware.
Ok that's great, do you happen to know which was they turn? The cover that protects the front plugs has 2 bults on and instead of turning left to undo they turn right? Is it the same for the plugs?

Thanks

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10