Author Topic: CVT fluid change 2 year service  (Read 2052 times)

Hebden

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
CVT fluid change 2 year service
« on: February 13, 2020, 01:18:18 PM »
Puzzled to find the CVT transmission fluid had not been replaced despite it clearly being required at 25,000 miles or 2 years.

It seems cars with a service plan have a 2 service generated for them rather than a 23.

It was dealt with efficiently by the garage and checked it with the service plan provider. I’ll be taking it back this afternoon.

Odd isn’t it that all the servicing work  is generated by the software which instructs the technician what to do.. so check for this at 2 years carefully on the job sheet and service book.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: CVT fluid change 2 year service
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 01:59:40 PM »
Interesting.

On my SE the service indicator seemed, quite literally, to have a mind of its own. I had a service plan covering 2 services on this car. When the first one came up it just said "B" - no numbers at all. Fortunately the service plan actually specified the particular events so a AB23 and then a AB78 for the one after that (if memory serves).

I queried it at the time and the service clerk said "Oh I can see it has been set for annual service."

This made zero sense but they checked off the items required so I left it at that.

I await my new car's first service event with interest.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 02:07:43 PM »
Why does the CVT oil have a time limit on it of two years, a mileage limit I can understand because the oil is working while in use but when it's not working it is just sitting there ?
I can understand why engine oil has a time limit as well as a mileage limit as it is contaminated by combustion
by-products which can do damage when just sitting there.
Has anyone left their CVT oil for the 25K miles rather than the two years ?

Vic.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 02:24:20 PM »
Puzzled to find the CVT transmission fluid had not been replaced despite it clearly being required at 25,000 miles or 2 years.

It seems cars with a service plan have a 2 service generated for them rather than a 23.
I'm on the 5 year service plan bought new with the car and the cvt oil was changed after 2 years and 4 years, with mileages at 20,000 and 40,000.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 02:34:57 PM »

I'm on the 5 year service plan bought new with the car and the cvt oil was changed after 2 years and 4 years, with mileages at 20,000 and 40,000.

Just as a matter of interest. did your service indicator show the correct letters and numbers each time?

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 04:14:11 PM »

Just as a matter of interest. did your service indicator show the correct letters and numbers each time?
I've never seen  a service indicator - I think the dealer must have turned it off.  I just have an annual service, which happens to be every 10,000 miles, and an MOT.  So far there have been two types of service in 4 years, alternating.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 04:32:57 PM »
My CVT is changed every 25,000 miles or in my case every 6 months.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 09:44:40 AM »
Why does the CVT oil have a time limit on it of two years, a mileage limit I can understand because the oil is working while in use but when it's not working it is just sitting there ?
I can understand why engine oil has a time limit as well as a mileage limit as it is contaminated by combustion
by-products which can do damage when just sitting there.

Vic.

I change mine by mileage..
25k miles 4 years ago. Next due next year..
So m 5 yearly intervals (approx).

Colour pink: no noises .CVT problems...

Hebden

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ SE CVT NAVI (mark III)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 10:39:01 PM »
Just to clarify. I have a 5 year service plan and the service instructions were incorrectly generated by the software used by the garage. Omitting the change of transmission fluid at 2 years. Just advising others to check their paperwork to see if it has been done.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 08:58:34 AM »
After my HR-V's second service I checked if the CVT fluid change had been ticked on the service sheet. It wasn't! The technician was summoned, assured me that it had been changed and ticked the box. Someone also looked into a computer and said that the system showed that the fluid had been taken from the store. I've got the Honda 5 year service plan so it doesn't cost me to have the schedule strictly enforced. If I were paying then there would be the tempation to skip the fluid change due to the low miles (almost 4 years and not yet at 20k miles) but, at the same time, I'm aware that the CVT judder problem doesn't appear until the vehicle has had several years of insufficient CVT fluid changes.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 12:08:14 PM »
Good thinking John. I do a low mileage so, if I didn't have a service plan (I have 5 years with this car) I might be tempted to stretch it a bit. Not too much but possibly every 3 rather than 2.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 01:38:37 PM »
My thoughts exactly, I am only doing about 8K miles a year now so thought that every three years would be OK. I do very few short journeys.

Vic.

guest4871

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 04:20:20 PM »
After my HR-V's second service I checked if the CVT fluid change had been ticked on the service sheet. It wasn't! The technician was summoned, assured me that it had been changed and ticked the box. Someone also looked into a computer and said that the system showed that the fluid had been taken from the store.

I had the exact same experience.

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 09:08:48 PM »
Vertu Honda didn't do my CVT oil change at the 2 year / 25000 mile service. Unfortunately, I did not check the paperwork properly after the service and didn't notice the error until just before the 3 year service. The service sheet had various updates printed on it which weren't exactly clear - maybe confused the technician. The mileage at 2 years was 18000 so I wasn't too worried about it.

I checked with Honda and confirmed the 2 year fluid change interval and forwarded their response to Vertu Honda. After apologizing, they did the fluid change at the 3 year service. I noticed that the service sheet wording had been updated and was much clearer. In order to get things back on schedule, they should change the fluid again at the upcoming 4 year service, I'll be keeping an eye on them this time!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:12:35 PM by AlanTR »

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 03:58:25 PM »
Car has just come back from its 2yr service. CVT fluid changed even though mileage is only 15500. No cost under the dealers service plan which was £395 for two services. Ideal for those who are not planning to keep the car more than three years. Dealer is Listers Solihull.

Tags:

anything