Author Topic: What tyres are you running on your Jazz Hybrid?  (Read 3433 times)

JazzHybrid

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
What tyres are you running on your Jazz Hybrid?
« on: March 10, 2019, 01:47:31 PM »
I think I have done something a bit silly :(

My Jazz Hybrid came with two Michelin Energy Saver tyres on the rear and two Pirelli tyres (not sure which) on the front.

The Michelins still had a little life left in them, but having been manufactured in 2010, after 9 years, they were beginning to show cracks in the sidewalls, so I decided to change all four tyres for Dunlop SP Fast Response.

I looked at this test here (Michelin Energy Savers are also reviewed) and both in the dry and wet, the Dunlops faired quite well. Overall the Michelins came last although were first place for efficiency.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/60116/dunlop-sp-sport-fastresponse

Prior to the mix of Michelins and Pirellis on the car, the trip computer said I was averaging about 51mpg. Now I can't get above 48mpg, which suggests changing tyres to a softer compound tyre, the Dunlops, has cost me about 3mpg in fuel.

Does everyone run the Michelin Energy Savers then? :(

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: What tyres are you running on your Jazz Hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »
Fitting new tyres, even of the same type as were on, causes a drop in mpg. Losing 3 mpg after fitting 4 tyres is quite good. I lost more than that after fitting two tyres. Efficiency improves as tyres wear. The old. bald ones are the most efficient! That is why the US EPA fuel testing stipulated that tyres must have done no less than 3,000 miles and no more than 5,000 miles, on vehicles submitted by manufacturers for testing.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 04:20:47 PM »
Going back a few years I tried Yokohamas for a while as they were on sale at my trusted tyre dealer, however 20,000 miles later they were worn out, so I was back on Michelin Energy tyres and I have stayed there ever since. I now get mine from www.blackcircles.com

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 05:24:19 PM »
I think I have done something a bit silly :(

My Jazz Hybrid came with two Michelin Energy Saver tyres on the rear and two Pirelli tyres (not sure which) on the front.

The Michelins still had a little life left in them, but having been manufactured in 2010, after 9 years, they were beginning to show cracks in the sidewalls, so I decided to change all four tyres for Dunlop SP Fast Response.

I looked at this test here (Michelin Energy Savers are also reviewed) and both in the dry and wet, the Dunlops faired quite well. Overall the Michelins came last although were first place for efficiency.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/60116/dunlop-sp-sport-fastresponse

Prior to the mix of Michelins and Pirellis on the car, the trip computer said I was averaging about 51mpg. Now I can't get above 48mpg, which suggests changing tyres to a softer compound tyre, the Dunlops, has cost me about 3mpg in fuel.

Does everyone run the Michelin Energy Savers then? :(

When the original Michelin ES wore out on my Mk2 I switched to Dunlop Fast Response. Big Mistake...the stiffer sidewall made the car what I call "thumpier" in the cabin. I believe the low dB noise rating is about tread noise.

So you saw a "drop" in mpg on the computer? what did the tank to tank method show? I have seen a change in the relationship between the computer and real mpg with new tyres, but I have never seen a drop in real mpg.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 07:41:59 PM »
I have seen a change in the relationship between the computer and real mpg with new tyres, but I have never seen a drop in real mpg.
I always calculate the real mpg and I found new tyres made a big difference. I have changed my front tyres twice, and noticed the effect both times.

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 10:49:02 AM »
I've only had my Jazz a month or so and in that time haven't used it that much. I am only going off what I saw on the trip computer and as we know, these are never accurate so I will do the tank to tank method (which might take a couple of weeks as I don't use it that much in the week).

GSX600FMAN

• 2014 Jazz Hybrid GP1
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE6 1.4EX, GG6 1.4EX. Now Jazz Hybrid (2014) April 2019
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »
In answer to the question about what tyres are being used. I have now had my 2014 Hybrid for just under a month. It’s great I am very please but have put on it Continental Conti Premium 2. As I have on previous 2 Jazz’s. they grip well in the wet and dry. I have had and tried in the past on the Jazz the Michelin, Dunlop, Maxxis and other I can’t recall, but alway go back. All the others have slipped or stepped out under pressure or load like in the wet or an mountains (Pyrenees, Alps and Carpathian). Just did a 2400 miles trip around France and Spain just after I got this Hybrid, didn't  slip and have had over 115 (2 x GPS’s, car indicated different and higher). I say Continental. I tried other Continental models but the were no better than other makes, it has to be the conti premium 2.

GSX600FMAN

• 2014 Jazz Hybrid GP1
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 10:04:24 AM »
I have put on the Jazz Hybrid the Jazz 1.4EX wheels. They are 16” but the tyre size makes negligible difference to the speedo, if fact it seems to have made it closer to actual speed. It gives 3mm circumference difference. Tyres on mine are therefore now 185/55 x 16. Currently 60.4mpg.

GSX600FMAN

• 2014 Jazz Hybrid GP1
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 12:33:12 PM »
Hopefully there is a photo of what it looks like with the EX’s 16” wheels on. I removed mudguards, the rubber front bumper ‘air dam’ ( I cannot think of another name or function to call it). Fitted them Mugen type wind deflectors, and lowered the front wiper blades to reduce drag.

Tags: