Author Topic: Sat Nav Advice Please.  (Read 1472 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Sat Nav Advice Please.
« on: January 21, 2020, 07:34:20 PM »
Sat Nav Advice Please.
My sat nav stopped working properly last April due to the GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) It's only the clock and the time of arrival functions that are affected but the Tom Tom is over 10 years old and is now unsupported. I don't use the sat nav very much but feel I could do with a new device. Anybody got any recommendations for an inexpensive basic replacement?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Sat Nav Advice Please.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 07:48:20 PM »
I replaced my TomTom One with a Garmin 51 LMT-S. It gets me where I want to go (or has done so far), but the maps are not a patch on the TomTom. Missing roundabouts being my biggest disappointment. And not just new/mini ones. It is also rather inaccurate for "You have reached your destination". I reckon it is about 50 - 100 yards out. Like lots of other things about it, and I put it on even when driving about Kirkcaldy just to laugh at the pronunciation of street names. See the thread I started last autumn.
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11603.0

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 08:18:51 PM »
Thanks. I've just reread it. I'd missed the last couple of posts. :D
Pronunciations were strange on my old one as well.
I  see it's not just Scottish names.
Reminds me of  Jimmy Young's classic mispronunciation of Bearsden Road Milngavie. (Understandable enough)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:20:34 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 08:56:00 PM »
I normally drive from the red arrow to the green spot. At the red arrow it tells me to turn left into the Drive. It does not see the roundabout and sees the second exit as a continuation of the road I am on, so it says, "In a quarter mile turn left into Edmonstone Drive". There are no street names visible and I am sure a visitor would take the first exit and have to be redirected.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 09:56:46 PM »
Anybody got any recommendations for an inexpensive basic replacement?
I find Google maps on my phone is pretty good ... can't get much cheaper than free! Always up to date, works worldwide, accurate traffic data. You do of course need a smartphone plus a modest data allowance (although it can work data-free if you take the trouble to download the offline map first).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 07:45:30 AM »
Always up to date
Not quite. The Google Maps image above, downloaded yesterday, shows barren land where there is now two large housing estates.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 09:42:29 AM »
I normally drive from the red arrow to the green spot. At the red arrow it tells me to turn left into the Drive. It does not see the roundabout and sees the second exit as a continuation of the road I am on, so it says, "In a quarter mile turn left into Edmonstone Drive". There are no street names visible and I am sure a visitor would take the first exit and have to be redirected.

I found out a long time ago that you need to keep an eye on the screen and always believe the screen rather than the voice prompts,  can be difficult where several turns close together and heavy traffic though.... ( but with turns close together it is even more important to watch the screen ) what I like about satnav is with more and more directions appearing on the road surface where you cannot see them when more than very light traffic around at least the satnav gives me a chance to get in the right lane..

Maybe I need a BMW and not to worry about getting in the wrong lane,  and be able to swap lanes in traffic at short notice without even signalling.....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:19:20 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest8810

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 01:38:58 PM »
Sat Nav Advice Please.
My sat nav stopped working properly last April due to the GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) It's only the clock and the time of arrival functions that are affected but the Tom Tom is over 10 years old and is now unsupported. I don't use the sat nav very much but feel I could do with a new device. Anybody got any recommendations for an inexpensive basic replacement?

I use the following  HERE maps https://mobile.here.com/?x=ep but of course you need a smart phone preferably Iphone you can just download the maps you need
Ie England or Scotland,or Wales etc this can then be used offline with no data use reqd I find it very accurate etc and FREE
on the web page at the top left is link to the APP to download etc

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 04:37:59 PM »

I use the following  HERE maps https://mobile.here.com/?x=ep but of course you need a smart phone preferably Iphone you can just download the maps you need
Ie England or Scotland,or Wales etc this can then be used offline with no data use reqd I find it very accurate etc and FREE
on the web page at the top left is link to the APP to download etc

I find Google maps on my phone is pretty good ... can't get much cheaper than free! Always up to date, works worldwide, accurate traffic data. You do of course need a smartphone plus a modest data allowance (although it can work data-free if you take the trouble to download the offline map first).
Thanks for the suggestions guys but I don't have a smart 'phone.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 05:38:07 PM »
Always up to date
Not quite. The Google Maps image above, downloaded yesterday, shows barren land where there is now two large housing estates.

Just to be absolutely clear, whilst the imagery might not be up to date, the mapping is and that's what's important because that's what's used for navigation. The roads on the new estates show up if you select the map view rather than the aerial image.

Any mapping product will of course have a delay between something being built and it appearing on the maps, but my comment was intended to imply you don't have to await an annual map update or do anything to get that update, you have access to the new map as soon as the Google mothership implements the database change centrally.

Tags: