Author Topic: Repair or replace radio  (Read 1968 times)

nadabro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Repair or replace radio
« on: December 30, 2019, 11:25:09 PM »
Hi.

I bought a 2005 with the radio not working (silent, most buttons wont work, cd wont play, but auxiliary is working, common problem)

Recently two videos came out explaining how to fix this issue, by replacing the voltage regulator:

This repair sould cost me around 30/40€(£), while replacing the radio frame+cheap 1dim radio should cost 80€.

But few months back, a guy who repair this radios said that he gave up reparing it, because some time later the issue will return.

Anyone who fixed the radio, what is your feedback?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:28:57 PM by nadabro »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Repair or replace radio
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 09:20:18 AM »
Repair it yourself. The bit cost be about £3 and if you knacker it, then fit a new radio.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 09:28:41 AM »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BA08CC0WFP-E2-Honda-Jazz-Clubjazz-radio-repair-IC502-spare-part-BA08CC0WFP/183815836226?hash=item2acc471242:g:Ja4AAOSw5V5aeEa6

Problem with voltage regulators is that they tend to run hot,  any overvoltage has to be dissipated as heat - I would mount the new chip vertically instead of flat on the board where one side is insulated and cannot get rid of excess heat.  When I used to fix electronics the regulators and zener diodes always seemed to run hot / burn out - and they rarely if ever had a decent heatsink.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 02:18:02 PM »
Problem with voltage regulators is that they tend to run hot,  any overvoltage has to be dissipated as heat - I would mount the new chip vertically instead of flat on the board where one side is insulated and cannot get rid of excess heat.

The regulator is a surface mount device and has to be mounted flat to the pcb. The fin is the ground connection to the board, as well as the heatsink to conduct some of the heat away through the copper tracks.

You could possibly affix a small heatsink to the upper side of the regulator with some thermal adhesive.

Alternatively, you could replace with the bigger TO220 cased version of the device, BA08CC0WT, and clip a heatsink to the tab...

...or better still, bolt it to the metal case of the radio using a bit of heatsink compound, and connect four flying leads back to the pcb (pin 5 is not connected). I would think this modification would make for a permanent repair.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 04:24:21 PM by sparky Paul »

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 09:45:06 PM »
Thanks for the answers.

I do not have the skills to solder this tiny component, i will damage the PCB if i put a soldering iron the board eheh

So the probable cause of failing voltage regulator after replaced, is the heat? It will be hard to get a efficient dissipator for a so tiny component! The big capacitors next to it, dont give a lot of room to do something..

I will ask someone to replace the voltage regulator and post here if it fails in the future...

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 01:44:00 AM »
Already received the regulator, removed the radio this weekend and looking to the PCB, it looks like its was already replaced, it has some brown spots near the regulator (purchased the car last year, with the radio already broken).
So it looks like that replacing the regulator its a temporary fix (like someone told me before).

Should followed your ideas and purchased the bigger regulator and mounted vertically.

I thought on removing the CD module (it sits on top of the regulator) giving some room to "breathe", should the radio work ok without the CD module?
I can add a small copper bigger than the regulator with thermal paste, but i dont know if it will help or get more hotter..
Any other advice on how to prevent the regulator from overheating?

Thanks

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:56:03 AM by nadabro »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 10:12:08 AM »
Brown spots could just be flux from initial soldering. You cannot mount it vertically as it requires being mounted on the surface.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 01:24:07 PM »
Most of the heat on these is dissipated through the rear of the regulator, into the pcb. It might help to stick a heatsink on with good thermal adhesive, but I'm not sure how much good it would do.

Space is restricted, but a more effective option might be to fabricate a custom heatsink 'paddle' from thin copper sheet and solder the tail of it to the tab of the regulator, or even between the regulator and the pcb - bearing in mind that it will be connected to ground, so shouldn't be allowed to touch anything else on the pcb.

I would still favour the larger regulator attached to the metal casing. It would mean a bit of faffing about, and the part is harder to find, but Mouser have them in stock.

It's also a shame they don't make a 2 amp version of this device... they do for other voltages, but not 8 volt.

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 10:50:38 PM »
Thanks for the responses, didint managed to mount any heatsink, the space is really small to do anything efficient, the only thing i did, was to remove the CD module. Dont know if is going to make any difference..

Found a guy who replaced the regulator for 10€/£ and the radio is now working  :) Total cost of 15€, including a surplus regulator if happens again eheh

But when mounting, i pulled the radio plastic a bit to hard and wire that connects to the airflow direction (windshield, passenger, feets, etc) fell out of the plastic support and now the air direction is stuck to passengers, but i think it wont be hard to fix it..

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 10:53:03 PM by nadabro »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 07:51:32 AM »
My regulator has failed too, but because it only affects the radio it doesn't bother me. I just play my CDs and the i-pod.

Tags:

anything