Author Topic: Under engine plastic fixing screws honda jazz Mk3  (Read 5215 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Under engine plastic fixing screws honda jazz Mk3
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 12:30:58 PM »
Cars never used to have undertrays. Are they fitted for aerodynamic purposes or keep the engine bay dry/cleaner? Or just to wind up DIY motorists.
in the
I think auerodynamics is the main reason: When I noted in the Mk 4 forum that my Crosstar doesn't have an undertray there was a comment from someone whom I suspect has some inside knowledge that the extra ground clearance of the Crosstar meant that having an undertray provided no aerodynamic benefit whereas the lower normal Mk 4 has got an undertray.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2020, 07:45:54 PM »
Cars never used to have undertrays. Are they fitted for aerodynamic purposes or keep the engine bay dry/cleaner? Or just to wind up DIY motorists.
To be precise, cars use undertrays al least since 2000, mainly for aerodynamic, but also to quicken the warmup and reduce aerodinamic and engine noise. The lower part of a car has  been neglected for long time, now manufacturers  treat the design of lower arms, pipes, panels and mufflers to reduce noise and drag.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2020, 07:52:28 PM »
To be precise, cars use undertrays al least since 2000
For most of the motorist members here the year 2000 is just yesterday. I started driving in 1964 a year before I was legally allowed to get a licence. I learned to drive on a 1956 Vauxhall. The majority of the stalwarts here have been driving a similar length of time so when we talk about "Cars never used to have ..............." you can understand where we are coming from.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2020, 08:10:29 PM »
To be precise, cars use undertrays al least since 2000
For most of the motorist members here the year 2000 is just yesterday. I started driving in 1964 a year before I was legally allowed to get a licence. I learned to drive on a 1956 Vauxhall. The majority of the stalwarts here have been driving a similar length of time so when we talk about "Cars never used to have ..............." you can understand where we are coming from.
;) Right, you should have the same age of my father.... Anyway, since 2000 means 20 years ago, about three generations of car, so techincally a lot of time ago.
Considering the mantainance of old and modern cars, we should keep in mind that modern car requirements are much lower than older cars: no more nipples for lubricate bearings and suspensions, no more oil change every 5000miles, no more checks and regulations for brakes and clutches, so it's less important to have a quick and easy access to each mechanical part.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:17:15 PM by jazzaro »

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2022, 11:31:17 AM »
Thread bump and back on topic...

Following a recent service, I'm now in need of the two plastic screw rivets/clips discussed earlier.

jazzaro kindly posted the OEM part number 91514-TG1-T01 but so far I've been unable to source OEM clips for what I'd consider to be a reasonable price.

Has anyone sourced and can recommend any aftermarket screw rivets/clips that they've actually used for this duty on a Mk3?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 12:24:49 PM by BadgerMk3 »

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 05:23:10 PM »
i am glad for my undertray as i drove over a piece of plastic piping on the M6 luckily in the 50mph zone and it made a slight score mark on the under tray at the exact position of the a/c compressor so it saved any damage to the compressor and it also keeps the engine a lot cleaner

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 07:04:56 AM »
Search car plastic trim clips in amazon?

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 08:20:43 AM »
From my last post:
Has anyone sourced and can recommend any aftermarket screw rivets/clips that they've actually used for this duty on a Mk3?

I guess it looks like no-one has sourced some then?

Based on the drawing posted by jazzaro and the information on this post on another forum, I have ordered some that will hopefully do the job.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-generation-gk-specific-diy-repair-maintenance-sub-forum/94219-3rd-gen-splash-shield-screws-retainer-clips.html#post1354289

If they work I'll post some details to maybe help other members in the future.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 11:02:13 AM »
Hope its sorted.   If you have the original part number  of something its always a good idea to google just the part number. This usually throws up loads of suppliers.    Unfortunately many are overseas,  and since brexit fewer are willing to ship to the uk.

But as others have pointed out  there are probably many aftermarket alternatives, or  alternative fixing methods.  There are lots of similar  of plastic plugs used  for attaching  other body trim items. Many cars use a type that is basically similar to this, but are single use. But cheap to replace.  An expanding plug goes into a hole in the bodywork.  Then a single use pan headed fixing is driven in, (rather than screwed in) holding the tray, and expanding the plug. General garages will often break or lose things like this .  They wont want to obtain  Honda originals every time.
My Yaris has a flap in the undertray so you can replace the oil filter without removing the tray   ;)

As to the aerodynamics of an undertray. The benefits are greater with lower ground clearance.  And the trend now is also towards lower ground clearance for the front bumper/skirt.   This too can make a big difference to aerodynamics and fuel consumption. 

The aero  type enclosed wheels  increasingly used on Ev's also makes a difference.   Tesla claim  a 3-4 % improvement in range.   Not sure if the windmill type wheels on some mk 4's are this effective.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 11:34:19 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 01:00:29 PM »
Update:
I've just fitted the aftermarket screw rivets I sourced and can confirm that they do the job. Although they haven't got a square body head (see my previous link in post #22) as per OEM, they are a comparable size, fit well and hold the undertray securely.
As per the link below, they come in a pack of 10 so mine will stay in the boot to be used as consumables and changed at the next service.

Link:
https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/bumper-grille-sideskirt-undertray-etc-plastic-trim-panel-clips-honda-91503-sp0-003/

This may help other members in the future.

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2023, 04:21:57 PM »
Did an oil & filter change in October '22 on my '67 Jazz Ex I-Vtec Cvt - found that the 'clips' were not 'as new' and decided to hold the undertray up with several linked plastic cable clips. As I've got longish post Covid trips in '23, dicided recently to fit the real deal.
The parts dept at my local Honda dealer kindly gave me a selection of clips (none of them had the screw thread) and were of different stem diameters they were expanded by pushing what would have been the screw into the stem.
BEWARE some of the clips (7.5mm dia) when expanded would not have held the tray up.
The holes in the metal chasis were 10mm dia (measured by drill bit shank)  - fortunately some had 10mm stems (unexpanded) & were ok

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2023, 08:09:13 AM »
Try vehicleclips.co.uk for a whole range of clips.

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2023, 08:17:05 AM »
Did an oil & filter change in October '22 on my '67 Jazz Ex I-Vtec Cvt - found that the 'clips' were not 'as new' and decided to hold the undertray up with several linked plastic cable clips. As I've got longish post Covid trips in '23, dicided recently to fit the real deal.
The parts dept at my local Honda dealer kindly gave me a selection of clips (none of them had the screw thread) and were of different stem diameters they were expanded by pushing what would have been the screw into the stem.
BEWARE some of the clips (7.5mm dia) when expanded would not have held the tray up.
The holes in the metal chasis were 10mm dia (measured by drill bit shank)  - fortunately some had 10mm stems (unexpanded) & were ok

See my post above, they are 10mm diameter.

Try vehicleclips.co.uk for a whole range of clips.

See my link in post #24 above.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2023, 10:31:36 AM »
I won't have this problem occurring on my Crosstar - Honda decided not to fit undertrays on the Mk 4 Jazz.

This was brought up before - my Crosstar has one, and believe a photo was supplied previously

And here is photo attached
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 03:24:24 PM by aphybrid »

Tags:

anything