Author Topic: best oil for 1.4 i shift engine oil change  (Read 8173 times)

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
best oil for 1.4 i shift engine oil change
« on: June 19, 2019, 01:21:35 AM »
 hi all what is the general opinion for an engine oil change ?? castrol Magnatec / shell helix???Castrol edge ??? ow30/ 5w/30 synthetic/ fully synthetic?? What the best for the jazz in the uk???
The car is 2010 1.4 jazz i shift EX 32000 MILES, also whats the difference with the castrol marking A5 / C3
Thanks all!!!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: best oil for 1.4 i shift engine oil change
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 07:40:57 AM »
There are a dozen different threads here where the merits of all the different oils have been argued until we are blue in the face. Fully synthetic, best you are prepared to pay (can afford), any of the viscosities recommended in your user manual, from 0W-20 to 5W-40 (the choice is yours and there are many recommendations).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:45:24 AM by Jocko »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 12:32:28 PM »
If you live inside arctic circle by all means buy expensive 0W-20.  But for temperate UK the best, most common and therefore cheapest is probably 5W-30.  Tesco have got a good deal on Castrol magnatec 5W-30 stop start oil at the moment - just filled our Civic and Jazz MK2 with it...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 09:23:31 PM »
I checked my oil this afternoon and hot, it was at the fill mark (I hadn't left it the requisite 3 minutes though I doubt that would make much difference). The only oil I had in the garage was Carlube Triple R, semi synthetic, 10w-40. I added about a litre of that. It will do until it gets its next service, in a few weeks time.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 11:30:41 PM »
Last time my Honda Dealer used Morris Oil on my i-shift. I guess any branded one should be safe.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 09:59:03 AM »
I agree with Culzean, 5w-30 is probably the best compromise between viscosity and wear protection, and because it's a popular grade it's that bit cheaper.

Any quality brand is ideal, but anything that is graded SL/CF or better will do the job. Fit a decent quality filter too, genuine Honda, Meyle, Hengst, Fram, Mann, etc.. Avoid ECP's cheap Crosland branded filters.

tomreys

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Jazz
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 04:08:11 PM »
I agree with Culzean, 5w-30 is probably the best compromise between viscosity and wear protection, and because it's a popular grade it's that bit cheaper.

Any quality brand is ideal, but anything that is graded SL/CF or better will do the job. Fit a decent quality filter too, genuine Honda, Meyle, Hengst, Fram, Mann, etc.. Avoid ECP's cheap Crosland branded filters.
Just wondering why you need to avoid those ''cheap'' crosland filters?
I have used them since...forever... and they have been just fine?

As for oil You can pick up 5w40 triple qx synthetic for 16pounds  shipped from carparts4less website.
The Jazz is not a performance Formula F1 car...That oil already is overspeced for Jazz...

Even the cheapest 10squid 10w40 semi sythetic will work, It's not THAT Important.
More important is that you actually change it frequently when its needed.

For UK climate and Jazz.. You guys are overthinking way too much and throwing away $ for very small or non-existant marginal gains.

My other Mk1 Jazz which will soon have 280k miles on it has been run on the Cheapest Crossland Filters and the Triple qx stuff or similar cheap synthetic oil for most of its life.. the engine of that car is still as good as new!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »
Like you I buy cheap oil and filters. Whatever my local motor factor has that week. I have always run old cars, bought on a budget and maintained on a budget. Maybe if I was going out and buying a new car I'd may think differently, but with old cars I don't let it worry me.

jamesdean

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 i-VTEC ES i-SHIFT
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 05:49:59 PM »
You buy what you like, mate. I buy the BEST tyres I can afford and the BEST oil; Petronas 0-20W synthetic is cheaper than Magnatec 'cos you get 5l instead of 4l.  And it seems to do Hamilton okay.  I also change my oil & filter every 5k.
My i-shift is coming up to 155k and uses very little oil or coolant between my services.  Many journeys are motorway or duel-carrigway.  Give your motor ' oats ' and maybe it will behave like a thoroughbred ; give it turnips and own a carthorse.  It is not if the cars are quite dear and the parts even dearer!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 09:01:28 AM »
You buy what you like, mate. I buy the BEST tyres I can afford and the BEST oil; Petronas 0-20W synthetic is cheaper than Magnatec 'cos you get 5l instead of 4l.  And it seems to do Hamilton okay.  I also change my oil & filter every 5k.
My i-shift is coming up to 155k and uses very little oil or coolant between my services.  Many journeys are motorway or duel-carrigway.  Give your motor ' oats ' and maybe it will behave like a thoroughbred ; give it turnips and own a carthorse.  It is not if the cars are quite dear and the parts even dearer!

Though the 5k oil changes are sound practice, we are not talking about Formula 1 cars here. I'm not sure what you pay for 0W-20 Petronas oil but I'm quite happy with ELF fully synthetic I'm currently using at 8 quid an oil change, and a good quality filter.

You might feel good about putting expensive stuff in, but there's no need to be quite so dismissive about cheaper oils. By the way, ours has done 170k on 'turnips' and still sounds like a sewing machine.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 09:25:55 AM »

When Crosland went bust in the UK, an Italian company Sogefi bought the brand and continued to make filters under the Crosland name. Now Sogefi make good quality filters (Fram, Purflux, Fiaam), but they subsequently sold the Crosland brand onto ECP who now use unnamed eastern Europe and far east manufacturers.

If the quality of the air and pollen filters is anything to go on, I'll give the oil filters a miss for the sake of an extra quid or two.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 09:41:51 AM »

When Crosland went bust in the UK, an Italian company Sogefi bought the brand and continued to make filters under the Crosland name. Now Sogefi make good quality filters (Fram, Purflux, Fiaam), but they subsequently sold the Crosland brand onto ECP who now use unnamed eastern Europe and far east manufacturers.

If the quality of the air and pollen filters is anything to go on, I'll give the oil filters a miss for the sake of an extra quid or two.

+1   I never skimp on oil filters, used to get OEM Honda ones but now get Bosch or Mahle from Opie oils.  You have to be careful how quickly the filter media may block up and go into by-pass mode, where the oil is not getting filtered, also if bypass spring is too weak oil may bypass all the time even from new.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jimster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 SE
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 12:30:07 PM »
+1   I never skimp on oil filters, used to get OEM Honda ones but now get Bosch or Mahle from Opie oils.

I think I'm right in saying that the Honda OEM filters are made by Purflux. You can pick up a Purflux filter for less than half the price of a Honda branded one.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 02:21:40 PM »
+1   I never skimp on oil filters, used to get OEM Honda ones but now get Bosch or Mahle from Opie oils.

I think I'm right in saying that the Honda OEM filters are made by Purflux. You can pick up a Purflux filter for less than half the price of a Honda branded one.

Yes, I'm sure Purflux do make them for Honda Europe, but the one i fitted last year was a genuine Honda, and it says

MAHLE TENNEX CORPORATION
MADE IN JAPAN

on it. I just went and checked to be double sure, it was still in the scrap bin after just fitting a Fram to replace it, from the same manufacturer as Purflux.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 08:40:12 AM »
If anyone want a decent branded fully synthetic oil, Shell Helix Pro 5W-30 is currently on offer at ECP on Ebay, £15.99 for 5L delivered.

Won't be at this price for long!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHELL-Helix-Ultra-Professional-AG-5W30-Fully-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-5L-5-Litre/332462405906

Tags:

anything