Author Topic: CVT Oil Change interval.  (Read 13067 times)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
CVT Oil Change interval.
« on: March 28, 2018, 05:28:44 PM »
I know this has been discussed before and has been the subject of a bit of confusion.

My current reason for raising it again is that my Mk3 CVT has just had its 25,000 mile service (at 22 months) and has had it's CVT fluid changed. Item 24 on the service sheet "Replace Transmission Fluid. CVT" is ticked even though the words next to the box say "Every 50,000 miles or 5 years, thereafter every 37,000 or 3 years". When I picked it up the Service staff confirmed verbally that it had been done, but I hadn't noticed the 50,000 mile bit at that point so didn't ask.

My last Jazz, a Mk2 CVT, was effectively scrapped at 65,000 miles because the CVT box failed and it was going to cost over £5,000 to repair. It had had CVT oil changes at 25,000 and 50,000, and then another at 60,000 because it had got noisy. So I am very sensitive to CVT issues and maintenance.

I am not sure whether mine has been done this time because of my asking beforehand, and my history (same dealer), or whether it is meant to be done at 25,000 anyway, in spite of what the service sheet says.

I have a memory that the interval was changed fro 50k to 25k at some point, so maybe the paperwork never got updated.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:16:16 PM by mikebore »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: CVT Oil Change interval.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 06:46:22 PM »
The CVT oil change interval was reduced by Honda a while ago and is definitely 25k miles or two years which ever comes first. This was confirmed by my Honda dealer.
 It does not necessarily coincide with a general servicing interval.
There is a space in the servicing record for CVT oil changes.

Vic.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 09:45:11 PM »
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/0-3-years-old.html

This is from the latest service schedule for cars over 3 years old and it shows an extra £75 charge for CVT fluid changes every 25,000 or 2 years as Vic says in his post above.

My car is a year old and I've been told the CVT fluid will be changed next year at an extra cost of £75. This all came about when we were discussing service plans.

The mileage I do the CVT fluid will be being changed every 6 or 7 thousand miles but better safe than sorry.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 10:16:58 PM »
My CVT oil was changed at 2 years (20,000miles) as part of the pre-paid 5 year service package.  I had nothing to pay, but the oil was listed as costing £ 45 + VAT.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 10:33:12 PM »
Thanks all. Seems everything is confirming the 25,000 mile, not least that it was actually done on my car.

The only inconsistent part is the Honda service sheet given to me on collection which says 50,000 (attachment)

BTW I think my Mk2 had a separate page in the Service Record book for CVT oil change but my Mk3 definitely doesn't.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 08:06:57 AM »
On your screen shot, maybe they have ticked the wrong box, the next box down says New Jazz 25k or 2 years. The 3 years 37k may apply to CRVs with a larger gearbox fluid capacity.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 08:18:34 AM »
On your screen shot, maybe they have ticked the wrong box, the next box down says New Jazz 25k or 2 years. The 3 years 37k may apply to CRVs with a larger gearbox fluid capacity.

Thanks. I think you are very probably right. Initially I looked at that line and saw "2012" and "Jazz Hybrid" mentioned without registering the "New Jazz" and "2016".
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:08:33 AM by mikebore »

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »
Sorry to read that your Mk 2 was effectively scrapped because of CVT failure and a bit concerned, having the same model. Did Honda give any financial help and does anyone know how common this failure is please?

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 11:12:44 AM »
Sorry to read that your Mk 2 was effectively scrapped because of CVT failure and a bit concerned, having the same model. Did Honda give any financial help and does anyone know how common this failure is please?

Not common. One other person here has reported the same. I was told when it happened that it was the first time Honda UK parts had been asked for a CVT replacement, which I take with a pinch of salt.

You can read my saga in detail as it unfolded in this thread:

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7805.0

....or you can skip to my last post in that thread for the summary and conclusion.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 06:02:25 PM »
The service technicians might not be very skilled at ticking boxes. After my CVT HR-V had its 25k service a couple of weeks ago the guy at the desk gave me the service sheet and I specifically looked at the CVT fluid entry and pointed out tthat the box hadn't been ticked. I was assured that the fluid had been changed as the material had been issued from the stores but the form was taken to the technician for him to tick the box. Perhaps one problem is that so much has been squeezed into to sides of an A4 sheet so it's all somewhat small and challenging to both read and tick the right boxes.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything