Author Topic: Radio needs updating  (Read 2084 times)

Sharon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004. Mk1
Radio needs updating
« on: April 13, 2018, 04:04:42 PM »
Its a pain having to keep making up CD's for my car when I can stick hundreds of tunes onto a USB pen. Anyone know of a way I can change my standard Jazz radio/cd for something that will take USB pens? Any links to models that will fit my car will be much appreciated.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Radio needs updating
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 08:00:17 PM »
If you have an earlier car without the aux input socket by the cigarette lighter, you can get mp3 players which plug into the cig lighter socket and transmit the music to an unused FM frequency on the radio. Something like the one below, which will play from USB or SD card, also allows you to bluetooth music from your phone...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Bluetooth-4-0-Car-MP3-Player-FM-Radio-Transmitter-LCD-USB-Charger-Kit/162864398859

You will find cheaper devices, but the lack of a half decent display makes them harder to use. Obviously, there are more expensive units too. I've used one of the really basic ones before, it was okay so long as you don't expect super duper CD quality. It was perfectly acceptable enough though, for everyday use.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:06:34 PM by sparky Paul »

guest7630

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 09:14:15 PM »
I'm thinking of getting one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-DVD-MP3-Player-Head-Unit-Radio-For-Honda-Jazz-2002-2007-Fascia-Kit-Stereo-2G/182220086447?hash=item2a6d29dcaf:g:v3oAAOSwT8JauxKz

It looks a palaver to fit though, may have to take it to a man who knows what he's doing.

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004. Mk1
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 11:27:22 AM »
ok, update on this for anyone else thinking the same.

I got a KM20 FM transmitter thing. The bluetooth on it is garbage as the signla level is too low,  but plugging a USB pen into it and then transmitting to the car stereo, it is great. Can't see what song is playing or anything as the lighter socket is too far down on the Jazz, but, the sound is certainly adequate and I can put loads of albums onto the pen. Great stuff.

One drawback.

Went to my car today for the first time in a few days and the battery was totally  flat. I noticed that the gadget is still in the lighter socket so I'm assuming it must have drained all my juice away. I'd always thought that if the keys were out of the ignition then nothing would be taking juice from the battery? 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 11:33:05 AM by Sharon »

Denis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 09:24:52 PM »
Thats strange, I have a phone bluetooth adapter thing plugged in my Cig lighter socket, it has a small blue light and that goes out when the ignition is turned off.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 09:41:13 PM »
Yes, I have Dash Cam and GPS speedometer plugged into mine, and they both go off when you turn the key to Pos 0.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 08:47:39 AM »
Yes, I have Dash Cam and GPS speedometer plugged into mine, and they both go off when you turn the key to Pos 0.

Same here,  the only car we have ever had where things stayed live with ignition off ( including the radio, and trust me it is a pain turning the radio off when you leave the car and back on again later, once it was left on and flattened the battery grrrrrr!!! ) was my wifes blighted Fiat Punto...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Joe Davis

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 CVT dsi
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 10:41:15 PM »
The jazz ciggy lighter powers off with the ignition key so unless you had a fault with your ignition switch, or somehow it had been connected wrongly to the fuse box, on the permanent live bank of fuses, then that shouldn't have happened.
Another car that it does stay powered up is the early Ford KA, as my daughter found out by accident when she left her phone on charge all night!!

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 11:05:07 AM »

Same here,  the only car we have ever had where things stayed live with ignition off ( including the radio, and trust me it is a pain turning the radio off when you leave the car and back on again later, once it was left on and flattened the battery grrrrrr!!! ) was my wifes blighted Fiat Punto...
I had a MK2 Punto years ago and the radio would (should) turn automatically after 20 mins.

I have a twin USB socket in my 12v socket for dash cam and phone charging, neither work without the ignition on.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 11:40:08 AM »
I had a MK2 Punto years ago and the radio would (should) turn automatically after 20 mins.

I have a twin USB socket in my 12v socket for dash cam and phone charging, neither work without the ignition on.

Well this one turned off after the battery went flat - Italian electrics strike again....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 01:23:00 PM »

Well this one turned off after the battery went flat - Italian electrics strike again....
Mine had an intermittent fault where the car wouldn't start and CANCHECK would come up on the radio display. Never did get to the bottom of it. (I only had the car two years before switching to Honda).

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Tags:

anything