Author Topic: CVT  (Read 4989 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: CVT
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2019, 06:28:57 PM »
i think its great you got 120k on a cvt, do you change your oil every 2 years ?
The CVT is fairly robust - this one passed 1/4 million miles before it died https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=10058.0 . And that was a driving instructor's vehicle so it probably had a harder life than most. Just follow Honda's recommended 2 years / 25k miles (whichever comes first) for the oil change.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2019, 09:06:40 AM »
As far as I am aware, there is a pseudo gear change in the software, to give the impression of a conventional automatic.

Here is an old thread about the Mk3.

It includes this Press Release which has this statement.
Just a thought, do we need to get updates from Honda and if so, how do we get them, are they done automatically when going in for service. ? 
Ty

"For the 2015 Jazz, Honda’s popular, optional CVT is a newly-developed unit delivering better fuel economy and significant improvements to driveability. An all-new CVT control logic was developed specifically for European markets to deliver the direct and linear feeling expected of a manual transmission. This results in vehicle speed matching accelerator pedal position more closely for a more direct feel, while engine speed increases proportionately to accelerator pedal position for a more linear feel.
The CVT’s driveability is given a more natural ‘multi-gear’ feel through the use of new control software exclusive to Europe which simulates seven speeds and provides optimised gear change mapping. Two new additional programmes provide situation-specific enhancements."

Emphasis mine.

I noticed it at first when I switched from Mk2 to Mk3 but now I don't.

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2019, 10:00:58 AM »
Automatic transmissions are pretty much universal here in Japan so I am more at home with them than manuals these days. I've been using CVT in my Mark 1 and now my Mark 3 for about 10 years. You get used to it and learn to adapt your driving style to it. It's great in stop/start and great when doing long hill climbs at higher speeds - just put your foot down slightly as you start to shed speed, the revs go up and you maintain speed effortlessnessly. Want to accelerate? Just put your foot down and away you go smoothly as if you were on level ground in third gear but with more revs. I think as a younger man I probably would have hated it but in my 60s I think its sophisticated, easy, smooth and just great. Whatever the speed or situation just grab a handful of revs, wait a fraction of a second and watch the CVT feed the power to the wheels. The Mark 3 engine is not as smooth or willing as the Mark 1 engine but it is pretty quiet (unless pushed) and my data shows, over 20% more economical for what I need a car for.

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2019, 10:50:02 AM »

The CVT’s driveability is given a more natural ‘multi-gear’ feel through the use of new control software exclusive to Europe which simulates seven speeds and provides optimised gear change mapping. Two new additional programmes provide situation-specific enhancements."

Out of curiosity, can this 'multi-gear' feel be permanently turned off? 
I can't help but think the sudden changes in revs may reduce the lifespan of the steel belt and CVT transmission in general.
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »
I can't help but think the sudden changes in revs may reduce the lifespan of the steel belt and CVT transmission in general.
I very much doubt that any software introduced that imitates a stepped auto box would be in any way damaging to the gearbox.
I see no point in the idea, a CVT box is totally stepless by design,if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Vic.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2019, 10:21:37 PM »
I see no point in the idea, a CVT box is totally stepless by design,if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I never notice this software in practice, which proves your point - it's unnecessary.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2019, 07:36:05 AM »
My guess would be that the software was put in place in an attempt to counteract the "rubber-banding" that some seem to dislike so much.

Tags:

anything