Author Topic: Who Here Uses Honda Hybrid Green Oil?  (Read 5988 times)

JazzHybrid

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
Who Here Uses Honda Hybrid Green Oil?
« on: April 09, 2019, 12:54:36 PM »
In preparation for an oil change and some routine maintenance next month, I began looking at oils.

I understand that Honda’s Hybrid Green Oil is recommended for the Jazz Hybrid. However, the slightly odd thing about it, is that there is no description of viscosity, although some research suggests it is around 0w – 20 mark (see attached).

As we know, the lower the "W" number, the better the oil’s cold temperature and start performance will be. As for the 20 (or whatever the second number is, could also be 30, 40 and 50), the lower this number, the thinner the oil. So a 0w-20 rated oil means that on cold start it flows like a 0 weight oil yet once warmed up properly, it functions as a 20 weight oil. So you want a thinner oil that acts like a thicker oil once warmed up.

I guess my question is what engine oil do forum users pour into their Jazz Hybrids? Am I the only one who thinks that 0w-20 is a bit too thin for the UK considering we hardly get scorching temperatures? Would 0w-30 not be a little better?

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Who Here Uses Honda Hybrid Green Oil?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 12:58:51 PM »
Oh and I also found this chart which shows how oils of a different viscosity suit different temperatures. Based on that alone, it looks to me like a 5w-30 synthetic oil would cover the full range of UK weather conditions throughout the year.

jazzavac

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz HS Hybrid
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 01:35:36 PM »
I use Honda Green Oil for my Hybrid.

Apparently the oil is "specially formulated" for hybrid engines:
- frequent starts/stops
- special oil rings in hybrid engine has
- low viscosity to increase mpg.

I normally buy from Honda dealers on auction website, no problems so far.

However, I am sightly concerned as Honda stopped production of the oil more than 5 years ago, but dealers still sell the old stock.

Honda for hybrids now recommends Castrol Edge 5W 30, and Castrol itself also recommends Magnatec A4/B5

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 02:44:44 PM »
My parents have a insight hybrid same engine as jazz and the Honda garage uses 0W-20 oil shell brand.

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 03:17:57 PM »
Honda for hybrids now recommends Castrol Edge 5W 30, and Castrol itself also recommends Magnatec A4/B5

That's good to know - I just spoke with a company called Opie Oils, whom I use regularly for oils and general car and motorbike service items. They say the Honda Green Oil is effectively a 0w-20, but in the UK there is nothing wrong with using a 0w-20, 0w-30 or a 5w-30 in the Hybrid Jazz as in their opinion that particular engine is quite robust.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 04:05:20 PM »
in their opinion that particular engine is quite robust.
I was under he impression that the Hybrid uses exactly the same engine as any other 1.3?

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 08:06:19 PM »
They were of the opinion that Honda's 1.3 is built better than some of the other on the market.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 08:33:00 PM »
That sums up Honda engines in general.

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 01:44:37 PM »
I am planning to do an oil change in my Jazz, and noted that the price of Honda Hybrid Green oil seems to have absolutely rocketed. The cheapest I can find 4 litres of the stuff is £53 shipped, which quite frankly is outrageous. I pay less than that for fully synthetic premium racing oils!

Anyhow. MOTUL is a very well know French manufacturer of oils. I have used their oils in my other higher performance cars and am very happy.

I note that MOTUL specifically make a hybrid dedicated 0w-16 weight oil, which is what I believe the Honda Hybrid Green Oil to be.

I have purchased a 4 litre pack (3.6 litres required for an oil and filter change) for £34.64 shipped from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lubricant-Hybrid-Engines-Hibridos-Toyota/dp/B01MT1XBH5/ref=asc_df_B01MT1XBH5/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310737079185&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13048595259640179450&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006886&hvtargid=pla-469996096725&psc=1

This works out at £8.66 a litre as opposed to £13.37 (£53.46 for 4 litres of genuine Honda Hybrid Green oil).

Another thing to note, is that a genuine Vauxhall oil filter (part number 91151707) will fit the Honda Jazz hybrid 100%, they are available for £5.49 from eBay (grey or white in colour). The genuine Honda filters I couldn't find for less than £10 posted.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:54:31 PM by JazzHybrid »

Tags: