Author Topic: Holden  (Read 1007 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Holden
« on: February 17, 2020, 08:32:58 AM »
That is GM scrapping the Holden brand. After 112 years in the automotive industry, it will join the ranks of Austin, Morris, Riley and all the other great marques from the past.
They no longer manufacture in Australia and are selling their Thailand plant to China's Great Wall Motors.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Holden
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 11:01:15 AM »
No surprises there. The brand is reduced to rebadged Vauxhall/Opels and Chevrolet vehicles, the former of which has also been axed.

Can't wait for John Cadogan on his YouTube channel to put his views on this.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 11:08:04 AM »
I wonder if GW weren't interested in buying the brand with the plant?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 11:21:27 AM »
One of the cars we had in Australia was a Holden Commodore ( re-badged Vauxhall Carlton ) 3.8 litre engine auto gearbox,  the cars were toughened up to meet Australian design rules - they needed to be because outside the main cities and off main highways there were still a lot of dirt roads - which did a good job of trying to shake the car apart with their 'washboard' surface,   the trick was to go over 100 Km/h down the straights ( that way you only hit the top of the ridges and it was quite smooth ) but had to slow down pretty quick for any bends otherwise you would literally 'vibrate off the road'... and a lot of unwary people did just that.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 01:06:05 PM »
One of the cars we had in Australia was a Holden Commodore ( re-badged Vauxhall Carlton ) 3.8 litre engine auto gearbox,  the cars were toughened up to meet Australian design rules - they needed to be because outside the main cities and off main highways there were still a lot of dirt roads - which did a good job of trying to shake the car apart with their 'washboard' surface,   the trick was to go over 100 Km/h down the straights ( that way you only hit the top of the ridges and it was quite smooth ) but had to slow down pretty quick for any bends otherwise you would literally 'vibrate off the road'... and a lot of unwary people did just that.....

Oh yes...

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 09:06:06 AM »
Back in the 1980's I used to look forward to getting a grainy video tape from my relation in Aus of the Bathurst race meeting. Nothing beat the sound of the Commodore V8 going into  conrod straight......chasing an XJS.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 04:23:07 PM »
Back in the 1980's I used to look forward to getting a grainy video tape from my relation in Aus of the Bathurst race meeting. Nothing beat the sound of the Commodore V8 going into  conrod straight......chasing an XJS.

And then the Nissan Skyline arrived and won all the races ----

AND THE WINNER IS..... https://www.diecastmodelswholesale.com/nissan-skyline-gt-r-r32-australian-bathurst-winner-1991-richards-skaife-1-1-18-diecast-model-car-by-autoart/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:28:22 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 10:31:42 PM »

I also remember the Torana V8. A smallish vehicle with a largish lump under the bonnet. I believe the power to weight ratio was quite favourable.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 08:58:53 AM »
Remember the Fuss Ford and Holden made about Skyline, almost as if it was 'their' race,  they moaned about Nissan engine but Ford omitted to mention the Ford Cosworth 'racing' engine they used - pair of cry-babies and well overdue for a beating IMHO...

Tags: