Author Topic: Jazz hybrid or 1.3 cvt  (Read 6703 times)

Hman

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda civic
Jazz hybrid or 1.3 cvt
« on: February 24, 2024, 01:20:18 PM »
Hi everyone, new member here. I'm thinking of selling my 1.8civic and buying either 1.3 petrol cvt Jazz or scrape more money and get couple of years old hybrid. The civic 2014 proved to be a fantastic machine and the 1.8 engine is a peach but it is manual. Most of my trip are commute around 25 miles daily in slow traffic around London. Couple of longer trips per year to Germany /France as well.Looking online I can get 17 plate 1.3 for around 9k or 13k for 2021 hybrid. Any advice appreciated. Thank you

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
Re: Jazz hybrid or 1.3 cvt
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 05:23:51 PM »
I owned both; when changing from a 1.3 cvt mk3 to mk4 it feels as completely different worlds. Mk4 is so quiet and fast and more refined. Also more economic. So if you can spare the additional 4K, then go for the mk4!

Test driving both will help!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2024, 07:45:00 PM »
I owned both; when changing from a 1.3 cvt mk3 to mk4 it feels as completely different worlds. Mk4 is so quiet and fast and more refined. Also more economic. So if you can spare the additional 4K, then go for the mk4!

Test driving both will help!

I totally agree with all,of the above.
Over the years I have had 4 CVT cars and am now on the my 2nd  Mk4 Advance.
There is no way that I would go back to a CVT.
Obviously this is all personal choice, but if the finance allows,  then go for the Mk4, you won’t regret it.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 08:43:55 AM »
It's not the initial price it's the whole period of ownership Inc servicing insurance etc. Don't overlook the enjoyment of driving.
Test drive both Jazz models.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 08:31:03 PM »
I went from several 1.8 Vtecs to the Mk4 Jazz, and it is just as good without the hassle of gears and faster around town without having a 1st to 2nd change. CVT is no comparison for driving... just worse.

Jazzfan49

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 jazz 1.5 I-mmd SR Crystal Black
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 09:58:20 PM »
The Jazz mk4 is very relaxing to drive in traffic or on main roads or motorways, it’s very quiet on most roads and even better on well surfaced tarmac, it’s comfortable and economical with 60+ mpg easily obtained - mine currently is averaging around 64 mpg with current winter temperatures but come spring and summer it will be around 70mpg, acceleration is good with eco off but still ok if you use it ( I use eco nearly all the time).
If your budget can stretch to a mk4 then I would recommend it but the cvt mk3 will still get 50+ mpg, I have never owned a mk3 but had a mk1 cvt for 4 years and loved it, and it too always averaged over 50mpg - btw my fuel economy is calculated by miles travelled and fuel purchased not the computer generated figures which are a little bit flattering.
 :D :D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 10:07:48 PM »
Most of my trip are commute around 25 miles daily in slow traffic around London.
The hybrid is ideal for urban driving. It will, if needed, happily crawl in traffic at walking pace or provide bursts of acceleration with energy recovery when braking. You'll also notice a big reduction in the fuel bill.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Hman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda civic
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 10:09:30 PM »
Thanks everyone for encouraging comments. I have to admit I started watching some of the videos of how the hybrid works and it seems quite complicated. Do you guys reckon this will be as reliable the previous version? Thanks

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 05:50:25 AM »
Definitely! It is actually much simpler than the previous hybrids: no gears, no cvt, just 1 clutch and 2 electric motors.
Btw: the cvt needs regular oil changes, while the e:hev does not. So maintenance is cheaper!

When you do not need any towing capacity, the hybrid is best (0 versus 1,000 kg for the mk3 cvt).

Tags:

anything