Author Topic: Washing with a Pressure Washer.  (Read 8195 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Washing with a Pressure Washer.
« on: September 16, 2020, 10:10:46 PM »
I bought a pressure washer, so I decided to try washing the car with it. Now, my car is old, rusty and full of bumps and dents, and I am old and struggling to handwash it.
The first time I did it, I started with snow foam, followed with a soft brush then finished off with the wide nozzle. It wasn't a great wash.
Today I started with the wide nozzle then repeated the above, and the result was much better. I think a dry off with a microfibre towel would do an even more "handwash" job.
Anyone out there with any tips for the lazy man's wash?

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
Re: Washing with a Pressure Washer.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 10:41:44 PM »
Hi jocko

Best advice is not to wash wheels at high pressure. You can damage abs sensors and be careful over car where there are sensors etc or areas of rust

Many thanks

John

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 07:09:38 AM »
Hi Jocko,

I use a hand pressurised crop sprayer.
(Spear and Jackson brand with 5L tank.)

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RD0KTZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_40VyFb6EEJW72

You need to push the handle about 25 times to pressurise it.

It sprays a fine mist, this is just to wet the car, after which I use a sponge and then another round of fine mist to wash off.

I wipe dry with a microfiber.

If done conservatively the car can be washed with less than 10 litres of water this way.

Sure it isn't as much fun as a pressure sprayer, but it uses less water and I like that. It also let's me use my old Brita filter when filling the 5 litre tank so I don't have the limescale on the paint.

Regards,
Domnic

My Jazz: 2004 CVT

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 08:45:16 AM »
Never used a pressure washer on cars or motorbikes - saved it for the patio,  but now I use a fungicidal spray from a low pressure hand pumped sprayer - which works much better at keeping patio looking its proper colour - and gets rid of the moss / lichen which is like a skating rink when wet.  Also once you have used a pressure washer on a patio the surface is damaged and moss comes back a lot quicker. 

Also use fungicide on the roof tiles and it keeps that pesky moss under control ( the stuff that washes into guttering and blocks it, ether by its sheer volume or by growing in guttering )
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:41:14 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 09:34:38 AM »
I use a hand pressurised crop sprayer.
(Spear and Jackson brand with 5L tank.)
I have the self-same sprayer for weedkiller and wood treatment.

I have steel wheels so I spray the tyre and rim edge, plus the centre, but don't spray through the wheel.
I gave the rust a good spray but it is solid with nothing crumbling, so it all stayed in place.

I don't have a patio.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 11:54:46 AM »
I use my pressure washer to cover the car with foam from a dedicated bottle of shampoo, then, from a distance rinse it off. Works well.

Just don't get any closer than about 18", don't use a direct jet setting, use a spray setting and you should be OK.

I also use it to blow any any dust from between the brake disc and pad from between the alloy spokes.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 02:00:36 PM »
I use my pressure washer to cover the car with foam from a dedicated bottle of shampoo, then, from a distance rinse it off. Works well.

Just don't get any closer than about 18", don't use a direct jet setting, use a spray setting and you should be OK.

I also use it to blow any any dust from between the brake disc and pad from between the alloy spokes.
That is more or less my approach. I use a wide spray, from a distance, and at an oblique angle to the bodywork. I have a dedicated soap dispenser bottle. I found soaking the car before applying the soap worked better than applying the soap to the dry bodywork.
I cannot "blow" with the pressure washer. It always delivers water.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 02:22:07 PM »
I remember reading a Which article several years back about using a pressure washer to wash a car. IIRC they suggested that it would be possible to do a "touchless" wash in this manner.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 02:23:52 PM »
Yes, when I said 'blow' I meant just a quick blast along the disc to pad gap to shift any muck :)

Dedicated soap dispenser here as well, works well.

When mine gets washed it's a 4 hour min job.

Spray with soap dispenser, wait ....
Wash with soft brush with wash'n'wax, mini bog brush for wheel spokes
Rinse with pressure wash, at a distance as we agree
Dry with 'Vileda window cloth' as it's easier to use than a chamois, can be wrung dry and it's not greasy.
Wax with Mantis waterless stuff because it can be sprayed anywhere and leaves no powder residue or swirls. Cloth just slides off bonnet.
'Invisible Glass' because it evaporates and leaves no residue so no wiper smears.

Proper job
Let's be careful out there !

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 05:12:34 PM »
I use 5l weed pressure pump sprayer for the shampoo and garden hose to rinse off. Wet first, then spray shampoo, agitate with one of those funny washing mitts and then rinse off at lowest possible pressure setting. Then reapply trim restorer, treat rubbers and seals with shin-etsu, touch up door hinges and other rust susceptible spots with ACF50 and corrosion block and finally apply alloy sealant and tyre shine gel.
That's my once-a-month routine.

guest9236

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 06:28:35 PM »
I use 5l weed pressure pump sprayer for the shampoo and garden hose to rinse off. Wet first, then spray shampoo, agitate with one of those funny washing mitts and then rinse off at lowest possible pressure setting. Then reapply trim restorer, treat rubbers and seals with shin-etsu, touch up door hinges and other rust susceptible spots with ACF50 and corrosion block and finally apply alloy sealant and tyre shine gel.

When ours are washed it is there birthday.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 06:42:45 PM »

When ours are washed it is there birthday.

Most ours get is a garden hose with shampoo stick in spring to get salt off.... paying special attention to underneath car, proper pampered they are.

I do use autoglym super resin polish on headlights about once a month but that is just to stop them going foggy....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 06:45:20 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 07:02:43 PM »
I bought a Karcher pressure washer from Argos for £60. Before that I went to the local East European car wash who did an excellent job but I have already paid for the Karcher by doing it myself, which isn't very often. I gave up polishing cars after experimenting by polishing one side of the car and not the other, you couldn't tell the difference so I've saved on polish as well. I too use a microfibre clothe instead of a leather for drying off after washing.

Vic

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 09:19:22 PM »
I do use autoglym super resin polish on headlights about once a month but that is just to stop them going foggy....

I haven't actually thought of it, thanks for the idea!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 10:04:27 PM »
I used to use the two bucket method, with rinseless wash and a dry with a microfibre towel but living in flats it wasn't handy, and the more infirm I got the less I enjoyed the experience. The past couple of years life has become extremely hectic and the odd times the car got washed it was "Hotel Sophia" or the autowash at the filling station.
Now my mother-in-law is in care we go over to check out the house, and while my wife gardens I wash the car or tinker in the garage. So I bought the power washer.

Tags:

anything