Author Topic: Still clocking up the miles!  (Read 1023 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Still clocking up the miles!
« on: November 05, 2022, 09:59:07 AM »
Google tracks my, (phone) activities. I was amazed to see that in October I drove 769 miles. I'm retired but still driving high mileages. Not much chance of a flat 12v battery.
Neil Ives

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Still clocking up the miles!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 10:49:08 AM »
I'm also retired, now 85, but still drive an average of 800 miles per month (14533 miles since April 21).
I have to say, I would be lost without my car.
You might say, Where do I go? Well mostly local mileage, with the occasional trip to one of my daughters, (240 mile round trip)
Fortunately. with the MPG returned by the Mk4 Jazz, such trips are still possible, in the current financial climate.
Current average over the 14k miles has dropped a bit, with the onset of winter, but still showing 68.3mpg. ;)
I remember when I had a 1975 Rover 3500s, where the mpg was around a 1/3rd of that  >:(

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 11:27:43 AM »
I remember when I had a 1975 Rover 3500s, where the mpg was around a 1/3rd of that  >:(
I once owned a Rover P6 with the 3.5ltr V8 engine, (picture for reference). I owned the car for about a month until some twit skidded on ice and wrote it off. During that time I had to refill the tank several times. Man, that thing drank petrol! Mind you, my habit of opening the window and kicking the accelerator just hear that lovely V8 growl might have had something to do with the high consumption!
Neil Ives

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 02:22:55 PM »
I had a Triumph 2.5PI. When I was selling it I pointed out to a prospective buyer that I had had 14 mpg from it. I didn't tell him that was the best I ever had.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 02:35:25 PM by Jocko »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 02:27:54 PM »
I once owned a Rover P6 with the 3.5ltr V8 engine, (picture for reference). I owned the car for about a month until some twit skidded on ice and wrote it off. During that time I had to refill the tank several times. Man, that thing drank petrol! Mind you, my habit of opening the window and kicking the accelerator just hear that lovely V8 growl might have had something to do with the high consumption!

I had one of them :)

Very nice car but the rear discs were inboard so not a job I could do. One nice touch was the switch on the dash to turn on the interior lights rather than all the others where the switch is on the roof light so can be awkward.
Let's be careful out there !

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 03:57:54 PM »
I had a Triumph 2.5PI. When I was selling it I pointed out to a prospective buyer that I had had 14 mpg from it. I didn't tell him that was the best I ever had.

Yep, but in those days, you could get 3 gallons of petrol, and 3 shots of Redex, for a pound!

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 04:17:41 PM »
..... in those days, you could get 3 gallons of petrol, and 3 shots of Redex, for a pound!
But, I remember early 1970's when my weekly pay packet reached £20! At the time my Brother-in-law, who worked as a graphic designer on the Daily Mirror was getting the amazing £100 A WEEK!
Neil Ives

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 05:09:53 PM »
As recently as 1998, my launch model CRV was getting 23mpg average. I would lose money on it doing business mileage. That was only a 2 litre petrol engine but by gum it was thirsty. Didn't help that the car was shaped like a brick also.

Tags: