Author Topic: Fuel Consumption  (Read 7876 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Fuel Consumption
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2022, 08:11:11 PM »
Just done  8 km (5 miles)  without using any fuel at all.  :P    Easy.  Fill the tank at the top of a mountain pass.  When it levelled off a bit and used some fuel  I was still getting 285 mpg.  :-*  The downside   Going up there were times the engine was working hard and I was  only getting 15 mpg  :o . Same with a few , erm, enthusiastic' overtakes .    But 200 km later,  doing 90kph,occassionally more ,it still averaged out at over  80mpg. ;D

This is real world usage.  If a truck can get up  hill, so can  the jazz,with ease.   And make the descent without needing B mode for additional engine braking or stressing its brakes. Get real here. Even in the lake district, North wales ,scotland and other hilly places  (or indeed the alps)there are not many hills a truck cant climb.    A word of warning. ALL cars  can overheat their brakes on a long descent if you are not cautious.   You walk down a steep hill. If you try and run down  you will lose control and fall over. Controlled descent from the top, simples.   1 in 3 and 1  in 4 hills are a bit of a novelty, and rarely very long.  Model T fords from the 1910's and 1920's might need to go up in reverse ,which has lower gearing  ,but the Jazz will eat them for breakfast and go up no problem at all.  . If its a bit noisier than normal for a few minutes,or seconds, in very exceptional circumstances, thats no reason to miss out on is normally  exceptional quietness and fuel economy.

Edit .Whoops  I may have put this on the wrong post, although still relevant.  i have copied it to the 'steep hills' post

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 08:16:40 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2022, 11:00:13 AM »
Yes, the ECON mode does have a drastic effect on the aircon. It's good that it mutes it imo but there will be occasions when you need to turn it off even if only temporarily.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2022, 11:29:38 AM »
We have never experienced any circumstances where the ECON-aircon did not cool sufficiently.
We have only had the car since the beginning of September and summer seems (unfortunately) still a long way off, so we'll see.
If necessary we know where to find the button.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 12:05:33 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2022, 11:47:42 AM »
Twice..? Double..? Why..?   
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 12:03:13 PM by Jazzik »

Worthingmike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mark 4 Jazz EX
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2022, 12:43:59 PM »
I drive with Econ on all the time also drive in B. Even in italy we have never found the Air con not to work sufficiently. We keep the temperature about 21C in the summer and about 22C in the winter. Works very well for us.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2022, 09:33:23 PM »
Hello Folks, what ive noticed as im up to 9000 miles now in the Crosstar after a year, is that the fuel consumption is getting better and better.  For the last few tankfuls, im averaging around 65 mpg overall in mixed driving.  I drive in D with Econ button on, aircon always on too.  Use B on steeper downhills.  Delighted with this economy ;D ;D

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2022, 10:56:59 PM »
Hello Folks, what ive noticed as im up to 9000 miles now in the Crosstar after a year, is that the fuel consumption is getting better and better....
Warmer weather maybe?
Neil Ives

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2022, 11:02:31 PM »
Not maybe... definitely!

crosstarhonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz crosstar
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2022, 08:57:14 AM »
Happy with my Crosstar fuel

sportse

• Approved Member
Fuel Consumption
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2022, 09:58:16 AM »
Over 500 miles, my loan crosstar was maybe 3mpg less than my own EX on the same roads and temperatures.

Due to it all mainly being long 70mph cruising, my average is only around 50mpg and the crosstar being slightly bigger with more drag got 3mpg less on the motorway.

guest9814

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2022, 11:35:28 AM »
Hello Folks, what ive noticed as im up to 9000 miles now in the Crosstar after a year, is that the fuel consumption is getting better and better....
Warmer weather maybe?
Nope
I see same better fuel economy, i own MK4 from october 2020, this year fuel consumption slightly better.
Now i done 25500km.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2022, 02:35:28 PM »
It's perfectly normal for the fuel efficiency of any sort of IC engine to gradually improve over a reasonable proportion of its typical service life. Friction generally reduces slightly as the engine "beds in" (or wears away if you prefer). Other transmission/chassis parts will also loosen up (driveshaft seals, hub seals and bearings etc). The effects are not usually dramatic, but the odd couple of percentage points is normal.

My personal experience of Honda engines is that they typically improve for at least 20-30k miles. I have 2 Honda motorcycles which I've owned from almost new, and they both run better at 40k miles than when new. One is the NC700 (670cc) which used essentially 2 cylinders with the design taken directly from the then 1340cc Jazz, including some common carry over parts from the car (piston rings, bearing shells etc).
I have no idea how long they will last, others (couriers etc) with these bikes have covered 150k plus miles with them still running fine.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2022, 03:29:46 PM »
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2022, 03:30:26 PM »
20k to 30k to loosen up.

That'll be years for me then at max 3k per year
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2022, 03:32:03 PM »
I have 2 Honda motorcycles which I've owned from almost new, and they both run better at 40k miles than when new. One is the NC700 (670cc) which used essentially 2 cylinders with the design taken directly from the then 1340cc Jazz, including some common carry over parts from the car (piston rings, bearing shells etc).
I have no idea how long they will last, others (couriers etc) with these bikes have covered 150k plus miles with them still running fine.
I worked as a mechanic at a Honda motorcycle dealership in the early 1970's. I soon realised how fantastically well designed and made Honda motorbikes were. Prior to that job, I'd just repeated the mantra, common still, that Japanese bikes were rubbish copies of Brit bikes.
Neil Ives

Tags:

anything