Author Topic: Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue  (Read 16394 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2022, 09:36:51 AM »
Thanks, Android Auto seems to have less issues - maybe CarPlay needs more data/processing power and it is straining the Jazz

The last software update seems to have fixed the can't find the phone issue but made the boot delay worse.

It happens regularly on the second start of the day and randomly afterwards - even if a phone hasn't even been connected or if it has. It doesn't matter if the first trip is 5 minutes or an hour.

The delays are the same, just the spinning ball logo then screen flashing on and off before it finally starts properly after 30-60 seconds.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2022, 06:35:52 PM »
New infotainment control unit fitted today - I see it’s running the old software before the update.

Hopefully it will fix the issues.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2022, 05:03:20 AM »
Is that you're older software or an older software.

My MY22 software was different to your MY21 software.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2022, 06:51:26 AM »
The new infotainment unit is running build number 71BA-0024-021 and Kernel JST 2020 - the same as my unit before the software update.

Previously, my old unit was running build number 71BA-0083-021 and Kernel JST 2021 after the update.

Perhaps there are a load of faulty infotainment units around, and the software 'fix' just makes it worse on them.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 06:56:36 AM by sportse »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2022, 07:55:02 AM »
Ah yes, 24 being the key number here.

Mine is 63

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2022, 03:35:43 PM »
Having completed several trips now, the excessive boot up time hasn't reoccurred thankfully.

I still get a bit longer than normal boot time occasionally, but not the black screen with flashing buttons that was happening beforehand.

Sadly, the crosstar loan car I had while mine was in also had a faulty infotainment unit - it was doing the excessive load time with flashing screens so there must be quite a few out there.

I'm not surprised Honda hasn't done a general recall to replace them if they retail for £2,300 each!

Perhaps the issue only affects Apple CarPlay and there may be a lower number of owners who use this. It could be that some owners don't realise there is a problem.

My theory is that the processor can't cope with Apple CarPlay and once it's been used the system needs reset.

Perhaps updating the software causes an unfixable error that then requires hardware replacement.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2022, 04:24:49 PM »
It was too much data being thrown at the processor on the 2016 facelift Civic with new Android unit that caused problems.

Honda managed to fix it, eventually, with software that channeled the data more slowly.

On the Civic, you'd be driving along and the unit would randomly reboot and restore factory settings. SatNav route,, and preferences, gone, saved radio stations and audio preferences, gone.
That was the main reason I stuck with my 2013 Civic because the Honda/Alpine, non Android, was rock solid.

guest9814

« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2022, 01:53:56 PM »
Having completed several trips now, the excessive boot up time hasn't reoccurred thankfully.

I still get a bit longer than normal boot time occasionally, but not the black screen with flashing buttons that was happening beforehand.

Sadly, the crosstar loan car I had while mine was in also had a faulty infotainment unit - it was doing the excessive load time with flashing screens so there must be quite a few out there.

I'm not surprised Honda hasn't done a general recall to replace them if they retail for £2,300 each!

Perhaps the issue only affects Apple CarPlay and there may be a lower number of owners who use this. It could be that some owners don't realise there is a problem.

My theory is that the processor can't cope with Apple CarPlay and once it's been used the system needs reset.

Perhaps updating the software causes an unfixable error that then requires hardware replacement.

Recently seen cheap alternative for Honda Jazz GR from Aliexpress for ~170$ !!!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003955968720.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.481d3c00UPHIW3&mp=1
With android 10 and google play store.
I litle skeptical about it`s quality.
But if my genuine Honda unit will fail after warranty end period i will probably get one like this.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2022, 02:28:23 PM »
Probably a lot better than the standard unit - some of the android units can also show the reversing camera and integrate with the controls on the steering wheel too.

Many of the people with earlier model Jazz fit these.

I had a civic loan car recently running the standard Honda infotainment unit model/software before the current one we have in the Jazz (and is in the HRV and will be fitted to the new civic) - it was awful.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2022, 04:59:27 PM »
There have been many problems with the 9G Civic headunit but now seems to have settled since RC8

Android 4.0.4 didn't help as it was stuck in the past.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2022, 09:24:03 AM »
Unfortunately...

While the new unit worked ok for the first few weeks, with only an occasional short delay, it’s now back to as before with the 40 second flashing screen random start up delay regularly now.

It looks to be maybe a hardware/software design fault related to Apple CarPlay sadly.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 09:31:46 AM by sportse »

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2022, 09:39:59 AM »
Mine has been ok since the issues a few months ago, with the numerous resets. In fact since the recent iOS update there has been no delay

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Apple CarPlay occasional connection issue
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2022, 10:38:44 AM »
Mine has had many resets, software updates and a new control unit over 6 visits to the dealer - all without success :(

I’ve used two different phones, both running the latest iOS and used several different cables as well as trying using wireless CarPlay too.

The new control unit working fine for a few weeks seems to indicate it’s a design fault. Perhaps after a few weeks of long trip use the chip can’t handle CarPlay anymore?

I’m driving 250-500 miles a week.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2022, 10:49:30 AM »
Once it does connect does it stay connected ?

As I posted a while ago, I downloaded a free TomTom Go trial, as a test, and when booting up it became very very slow both fully booting and using TomTom. When I tried typing in a destination it was 2 seconds between each keypress.

Removed TT and all back to normal.

What else is going on when a car to phone connection is initiated ? Is something else stealing the focus.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2022, 11:06:59 AM »
The problem happens before I have even connected anything to the car. I wait until the home screen is displayed before I plug anything in.

It seems to be that using CarPlay overloads the car, so that at some point in the future it will give you the 40 second delay when you start the car up.

First it used to be random, then after the software update it also regularly did it on the second start of the day.

With the new infotainment unit, it was fine for a few weeks but has now started randomly giving the 40 second delay again. It even did it on a cold start after having been parked for a few days - it had never done that before.

Once the infotainment unit finally boots up after 40 seconds then the connection has been ok so far, not dropping out again.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 11:09:47 AM by sportse »

Tags:

anything