Author Topic: Sat nav delay and map catching up  (Read 2044 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Sat nav delay and map catching up
« on: April 18, 2022, 12:45:21 PM »
Something I think that could be happening is that the amount of data from certain sat nav apps is too much for the Jazz chip to handle.

I think that's why some apps with a simple screen don't seem to have a delay whereas others do.

I've remembered that TomTom also uses a CarPlay trick in order to get a screen overlay to display a traffic bar - so is likely using the maximum information allowed on CarPlay.

I've also found the map delay and catching up to be less on wired CarPlay, so use that rather than wireless.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Sat nav delay and map catching up
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 01:21:03 PM »
I'm Android and have used the built in Garmin and Google Maps (satellite view) via Android Auto without issue.

As I posted elsewhere, when I loaded TomTom Go on my Android phone and tried to set a destination on the car screen it was painfully slow in comparison requiring multiple keypresses on some letters.

The first 2016 Civics with the Android headunit had processor overload issues that wern't fully solved until RC8 was released. In the meantime some owners were experiencing random crashes and reboots which often resulted in all personal data and settings being wiped ala factory reset.

That was why I held onto my 2013 Civic for longer than normal as that had the rock solid Honda/Alpine unit.
Let's be careful out there !

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 01:22:20 PM »
I tend to agree, I try Google maps via CarPlay, genuine Apple lightning /USB connection to an iPhone 6 and it lags terribly on our Jazz EX.

If I use exactly the same connected to our CRV hybrid SR infotainment I have NO issues whatsoever.
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

Eros

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar e:hev 2022 Premium Sunlight White
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 01:44:38 PM »
During Easter, we had a pleasure to drive on country roads with our Jazz Crosstar. I experienced a delay in navigation with Apple Car Play. The delay was there both with wireless and wired connection. I've used apple carplay before, but there was never such a delay.

What could be the reason for this? 

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 02:34:15 PM »
During Easter, we had a pleasure to drive on country roads with our Jazz Crosstar. I experienced a delay in navigation with Apple Car Play. The delay was there both with wireless and wired connection. I've used apple carplay before, but there was never such a delay.

I think it is just that the processor chip in the Jazz isn't powerful enough to deal with CarPlay sending through lots of data unfortunately.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 02:51:03 PM »

What navigation app were you using ?

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 03:05:49 PM »
Until now we use (if necessary) the Honda/Garmin navigation. No delay. No sudden crashes. Got us exactly where we wanted to be so far...
Okay, that voice in Dutch... ???
The fact that it does not provide traffic information is actually not that important here: in the cities you are usually in traffic jams everywhere, whichever route you choose. On the highways and local roads there are hardly any traffic jams and if there are: bad luck! Be patient!
After all, we retirees (most of us, right?) have plenty of time don't we...?  ;D
If nothing goes right, go left!

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2022, 03:11:49 PM »
Around SE England we have horrendous traffic unfortunately- roads haven’t been improved for many years but the population is massively increased.

Without traffic on your sat nav you would lose maybe 1/2-1 day a week.

I don’t use the sat nav for directions mainly, but it is always running for the traffic.

Yesterday I had a 25 mile trip, normally half an hour but most directions were gridlocked so travel time at least doubled.

With the TomTom I was able to be routed through the middle of nowhere on the backroads.

Eros

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 10:46:22 AM »

I tried both Apple Maps, ad Google Maps.. with mobile data on

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 11:13:39 AM »
Ah, right.

Just asking because the built in Garmin and Google Maps (even in satellite view) via Android Auto wireless are fine on mine but I tested TomTom Go and it was very laggy.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2022, 01:14:48 PM »

Where did you have the phone?

I’ve found putting the phone on the tray in front of the gearstick can also result in the satellite signal not being as good as if it is mounted on the dash or higher up.

I used to have a wireless charging pad in the tray but stopped using it as the signal wasn’t as good.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2022, 01:38:59 PM »
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 01:41:37 PM by Kremmen »

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2022, 02:12:28 PM »
Maybe that's far enough to get a good signal.

When I had mine on the tray I got some funny readings - one time it said I was doing 130mph though an average 50mph zone before it settled down to the correct speed!

Eros

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2022, 02:15:33 PM »

Where did you have the phone?

I’ve found putting the phone on the tray in front of the gearstick can also result in the satellite signal not being as good as if it is mounted on the dash or higher up.

I used to have a wireless charging pad in the tray but stopped using it as the signal wasn’t as good.

Good point... I put into the upper glove compartment.. maybe that's why..

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2022, 02:49:16 PM »
Good point about the tray.

AFAIK the GPS sensor in phones is often near the top so when it's in a top pocket etc it gets a good signal. The tray slopes the wrong way so the phones GPS sensor will be partially or totally covered and they always recommend the sensor has full view of the sky.

Tags:

anything