Author Topic: Automatic headlight sensor  (Read 3597 times)

weeleyboy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Jazz 1.4CVT EX
Automatic headlight sensor
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:46:44 PM »
My 2014 Jazz has light sensors which automatically turn the headlights on when the light fades. They used to turn on when conditions were dull in rain etc but they now seem to wait until it is much darker than they did before and I've had to turn them on manually when nearly all the cars on the road had headlights on.
My question is "is it possible to adjust the light level at which the sensor turns the lights on?"

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Automatic headlight sensor
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 02:51:40 PM »
Good question. Haven't found any adjustment yet but here's the thing. My Mk2 never, ever, turned on the lights in dull wet weather but frequently turned them on in bright sunshine. This morning my Mk3 turned on the lights in dull wet weather as you would expect so I guess there must be some adjustment somewhere. Like you, in the Mk2 I had to turn the lights on myself and, indeed, turn them off when the auto system turned them on at 4 pm on a bright sunny afternoon. My auto lights were almost worse than useless.

Hopefully someone who knows will be along shortly.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 03:09:20 PM »
I have recently, test driven an EX, with 150miles, on the clock.

It was raining. The auto wipers, didn't work.......  ::)
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:36:08 PM »
I have recently, test driven an EX, with 150miles, on the clock.

It was raining. The auto wipers, didn't work.......  ::)
We are going off topic here. Was the wiper stalk in the auto position? I think, going clockwise, it's off; auto; manual normal speed; manual fast. Plus  there's the rotary control for the sensitivity. The auto wiper control on my Mk. 2 Jazz was excellent and could respond to most conditions without manual adjustment of the sensitivity. However, the auto wiper control on the Mk 3 Jazz and my HR-V is noticeably inferior and I have resorted to manual.

Going back on topic, on the Mk 2 Jazz I just used the manual control as the auto system had a mind of its own. I don't recall any sensitivity setting but it's possible that something has been changed in a vehicle software update. Be thankful that you have manual control - the Mk 3 Jazz / HR-V headlights are always on auto when moving so one just has to get used to features such as the lights coming on when going under a bridge.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest5079

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »
Mk2 EX auto headlights DO NOT respond to mist or fog. Sometimes in the Summer, go under a tree and they will switch on. I suspect and I am no engineer that they are set to respond to definite differences and so when the weather is a bit murky they cannot differentiate. If the weather is the least bit misty I use the manual control.
I do find the one indicator in the binnacle fits all a little difficult as you then have to look at the stalk to ensure you have headlights on. Yes I know it's up to me to turn the switch the correct way but it would be nice to have a light for sidelights and one for headlights.

Tags: