Author Topic: OBD dongle etc  (Read 1682 times)

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
OBD dongle etc
« on: March 04, 2018, 09:39:35 AM »
Thinking of getting one to see what the car is doing and there seems to be a couple of options. Bluetooth  to a phone app for a few pounds,  or with a configurable screen for nearer a hundred pounds. What's the pros and cons of each, and has anyone got a link to the one they have?

TVMIA  :D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: OBD dongle etc
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 10:06:20 AM »

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 10:48:54 AM »
Hi

We have 2 dongles

1 is Bluetooth to xtrons headunit (this was supplied by xtrons but is just China odb2 elm Bluetooth)

1 is AA cargenie which connects to the AA

Both work simultaneously but I don’t use/look at xtrons too much. It uses an payable app but there’s a free version. Sorry I cannot remember the name of the app but it is the pro version

AA cargenie contacts me if there is anything wrong and more importantly, as I can travel over 400 miles in a day, usually alone if it detects sudden deceleration etc it reports to AA who are meant to ring me in case I have had a serious accident. No reply from me and they send an AA van out to check. Hopefully anyway, that’s how I think it is meant to work

Many thanks

John

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 02:25:37 PM »
The generic EOBD/OBD2 readers and dongles are very cheap, they can be useful but they only connect to the engine ECU.

If you want something that will read all the systems, you need the dedicated diagnostic tool for the car - in this case, Honda HDS or one of the Chinese clones.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 02:30:09 PM »
If you want something that will read all the systems, you need the dedicated diagnostic tool for the car - in this case, Honda HDS or one of the Chinese clones.
They are necessary for fault finding, but if you just want something to give fuel consumption, temperatures, manifold pressure and the like, then the OBD II is the way to go.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 07:25:49 PM »
They are necessary for fault finding, but if you just want something to give fuel consumption, temperatures, manifold pressure and the like, then the OBD II is the way to go.

Generic OBD2 readers/dongles can also be very useful for engine faults, and cheap Bluetooth ones can be purchased on that well known auction site for a few pounds. Use with a smart phone and an app like Torque, or one of the many other OBD apps.

In addition to the live sensor data, you can also read engine management codes and reset the EML if a fault puts it on.

However, if you need access to other systems, such as ABS, SRS, airbags, security systems, auto gearbox, etc., you need the Honda tool.

Tags: