Author Topic: LED headlights.  (Read 14174 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
LED headlights.
« on: March 01, 2018, 07:21:23 PM »
I assume that the sport model owners have discovered by now that LED headlights do not melt snow. :-)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: LED headlights.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 07:32:51 PM »
I assume that the sport model owners have discovered by now that LED headlights do not melt snow. :-)

That is true (it was the only concern when I fitted LED bulbs to our cars) but neither do they try to melt the plastic headlight lens and bake insects, pollution and salt onto the lens. I often had to clean crap off lenses with filament bulbs anyway before driving, now I never hardly clean them except a monthly wipe over with autoglym SRP to inhibit UV  and heat damage from the Sun maybe.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 07:41:35 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 07:42:27 PM »
Not a problem during the warranty period, but does a LED headlight failure mean a complete headlight unit replacement? I know that a MOT fail for a LED light unit is more than 50% of the LEDs out in the light unit. I am not sure if or how this applies to headlights.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 07:59:26 PM by Deeps »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 09:26:17 PM »
LED bulbs are legal in LED approved light units. So if your lights were fitted with LEDs, as originally supplied, it is perfectly legal to fit a replacement LED.
MOT will only fail LED bulbs in Non-LED enclosures.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 09:47:19 PM »
I am not refering to aftermarket or replaceable LED bulbs. If 50% or more of the LEDs in a unit (rear light for example) have failed it is an MOT fail.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 07:03:47 AM »
I understand. Same principal as if one of two number plate lights are not working.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 11:00:39 AM »
It would be interesting, (to an anorak like me) to know if the LEDs in a Sport headlamp are replaceable or if it is a whole unit job. My guess would be its "Sorry sir, that will be a new headlight at £ lots!"

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 12:14:17 PM »
The handbook entry under Replacing Light Bulbs states

"Models with LED high and low beam headlights

High beam and low beam headlights are LED type. Have an authorized Honda dealer inspect and replace the light assembly"

A quick look under the bonnet seems to confirm this as there is no obvious way to replace the LED unit in situ. Whether or not the Honda dealer can disassemble the unit off the car and replace the light source is not clear but I suspect not.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 12:33:38 PM »
Thanks, JandJ. I rely on you early adopters to suss things out before I commit.  :-)

IMO Honda dealers are replacers, not fixers.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:37:21 PM by Deeps »

scm

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 12:35:12 PM »
Had rear cluster replaced due to failure. It was done under warranty job but cost was £296 for the cluster+ 60 labour inc VAT.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 12:54:23 PM »
Had rear cluster replaced due to failure. It was done under warranty job but cost was £296 for the cluster+ 60 labour inc VAT.
If I replied to that with what I thought I'd be banned.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 12:56:22 PM »
So much for modern technology  a few years ago it was about a £1 for a new bulb. :o

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 01:02:50 PM »
Look on the "bright" side - LED's are generally very reliable!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 01:06:36 PM »
So much for modern technology  a few years ago it was about a £1 for a new bulb. :o

Just like modern TV's etc. -  repairmen are an endangered species, no replaceable parts,  just bin the whole
thing and buy a buy one (technology moving that fast that anything over a few years old is easily classed as  beyond economic repair).  Things are more reliable,  but rarely designed to be fixable when do fail.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 01:11:13 PM »
It would be interesting, (to an anorak like me) to know if the LEDs in a Sport headlamp are replaceable or if it is a whole unit job. My guess would be its "Sorry sir, that will be a new headlight at £ lots!"
No, they are not replaceable. If one or more Led emitter fail, you have to change the whole headlight unit.
But we should consider the lifespan:
halogen bulbs last 300-600 hours;
xenon bulbs 2000-4000 hours;
led emitters, when well cooled, last more than 25000h.
Halogen and HID bulbs have to be replaceable,  Led emitters last as long as the car.
IMHO it's definetly better to have powerful headlights all along the year than have snow melted during some days in winter and low performance headlights.
Look at the difference between the 3 technologies from page 14... http://mkdb.hella.com/hellamk/upload/MKData/977_90mm_Gesamtbroschuere_HELLA_EN.pdf

In Italy LED headlights are standard on sport and elegance trims (should be the EX in UK), shape and joints are the same of halogen headlights but electrical connections are different.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 01:39:09 PM by jazzaro »

Tags: