Author Topic: Brexit and the scare mongers  (Read 24873 times)

guest5079

Brexit and the scare mongers
« on: March 01, 2018, 10:53:27 AM »
Despite the scare mongers over Brexit, Toyota have decided to build their new Auris here. Also stated that will build most of their engines in the UK.
Courtesy of the BBC via Canada.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Brexit and the scare mongers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »
Despite the scare mongers over Brexit, Toyota have decided to build their new Auris here. Also stated that will build most of their engines in the UK.

So, in other words, nothing's changing for now. Hardly surprising, see as Toyota already build the Auris here, as well as the engines. This is only a model update, new tooling etc., and will have been in the pipeline for years. They only make the Auris here and Japan, so there's be no advantage to closing Burnaston, even post Brexit - which, by the way, hasn't even happened yet.

The real challenges will come in the next few decades when these companies decide where to make major investments, not over the next 5-10 years for which decisions have already been made. A UK outside the EU single market will be a very different proposition when it comes to looking for a new manufacturing base placed to take advantage of EU markets.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
That's very good news. My understanding is that many manufacturing companies are concerned about the customs union aspect more than anything as parts, at the moment, go to and fro with no checks. Vital, in my view, that we keep that or something pretty close to it.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 03:30:11 PM »
There has been a record amount of inward investment into UK post Brexit vote.  Bank Of England, Treasury and establishment experts got project fear forecasts so extremely wrong in run-up to referendum IMHO they have lost all credibility.  The Irish border is a problem for EU to sort out not rest of UK,  which will keep the border as open as possible, don't know why Irish are worried about borders as 80% + of their exports are to rest of Great Britain.  EU is being very aggressive with its stance on border, they are meddling in the internal affairs of a sovereign nation - truth is they are scared sh!tl£ss of UK leaving EU and they are using Irish border as a drowning man may use a lump of wood to keep him afloat. 

Jeremy Corbyn has been pushed by Blairites in party to take a gamble on customs union but in doing so it has upset its core voters in northern areas most of which voted around 70% for a clean Brexit,  I know Corbyn criticises Tories (that is in his job description) but the labour party is much more divided on Brexit than Tories).  If only stupid politicians had presented a unified front to EU bully boys  we would have got a better deal,  but as usual they are putting politics before country.  If any remainers had any doubts about theway the EU operates the last 18 months should have opened their eyes,  their answer to everything is more integration and less democracy........

The Japanese are investing a load of money in UK as a good place to do business,  it comes to something when the Japanese respect UK more than our European 'friends'.    90% of trade expansion is taking place outside EU, which is a stagnant pond of vested interests, protectionism and tariff barriers to the rest of the world.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:34:31 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 03:35:30 PM »
EU is being very aggressive with its stance on border, they are meddling in the internal affairs of a sovereign nation - truth is they are scared sh!tl£ss of UK leaving EU and they are using Irish border as a drowning man may use a lump of wood to keep him afloat.
I think the EU are risking the UK saying s*d it, and walking away from the table.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 03:59:42 PM »
There has been a record amount of inward investment into UK post Brexit vote.  Bank Of England, Treasury and establishment experts got project fear forecasts so extremely wrong in run-up to referendum IMHO they have lost all credibility.  The Irish border is a problem for EU to sort out not rest of UK,  which will keep the border as open as possible, don't know why Irish are worried about borders as 80% + of their exports are to rest of Great Britain.  EU is being very aggressive with its stance on border, they are meddling in the internal affairs of a sovereign nation - truth is they are scared sh!tl£ss of UK leaving EU and they are using Irish border as a drowning man may use a lump of wood to keep him afloat. 

Jeremy Corbyn has been pushed by Blairites in party to take a gamble on customs union but in doing so it has upset its core voters in northern areas most of which voted around 70% for a clean Brexit,  I know Corbyn criticises Tories (that is in his job description) but the labour party is much more divided on Brexit than Tories).  If only stupid politicians had presented a unified front to EU bully boys  we would have got a better deal,  but as usual they are putting politics before country.  If any remainers had any doubts about theway the EU operates the last 18 months should have opened their eyes,  their answer to everything is more integration and less democracy........

The Japanese are investing a load of money in UK as a good place to do business,  it comes to something when the Japanese respect UK more than our European 'friends'.    90% of trade expansion is taking place outside EU, which is a stagnant pond of vested interests, protectionism and tariff barriers to the rest of the world.

Think that just about covers it. EU scared stiff. Their authority is on the line here and they will not let go of the tuckshop keys without a fight. They know that if we ever get round to some common sense and pull the plug it is game set and match. On the Brexit predictions, I don't think they got their predications wrong simply because it was only ever an attempt to intimidate. Misjudging the general mood of the country was the bit they got wrong. Doubt they gave it a minute's thought. They have their own agenda, centralisation and bureacracy, all of which is anathema to enterprise. They are scared stiff of enterprise. It represents the greatest threat to their existence. In fact, I doubt they could punch their way out of a paper bag. They could probably manage a tax on paperbags though. Their next goal is total control of digital currency. Get that in place and they can print an infinite number of digits for widgets for as long they want and the 'Snowflakes' will just lap it up, that is, until someone or something finally calls their bluff. Never underestimate popcorn politics.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 09:01:58 PM »
That's very good news. My understanding is that many manufacturing companies are concerned about the customs union aspect more than anything as parts, at the moment, go to and fro with no checks. Vital, in my view, that we keep that or something pretty close to it.
But, IMO, it would be no bad thing if the supply chains get simplified and shortened. It could reduce the HGV traffic clogging the roads. It seems that goods made at A get transported to a warehouse at B, then to a distribution centre at C to finally be driven back to customers at A. Use of the roads is too cheap!
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 09:31:25 PM »
But, IMO, it would be no bad thing if the supply chains get simplified and shortened. It could reduce the HGV traffic clogging the roads. It seems that goods made at A get transported to a warehouse at B, then to a distribution centre at C to finally be driven back to customers at A. Use of the roads is too cheap!

At one automotive sub-assembly manufacturer I worked at we used to supply parts for Toyota France, Renault, SAAB  and VW  also Porsche.  Also BMW mini plant, JLR,  Honda UK  and Toyota also Ford Transit until it got shunted off to Turkey by EU edict. You are correct supply chains are too long and EU model encourages this as they juggle industry around artificially to try to keep unemployment down in member states. The Euro means stronger countries like Germany and France have an undervalued currency while countries like Spain and Greece have an overvalued currency, it works in Germanys favour as it makes their exports cheaper and their economy strong, they don't care that poorer countries get a hit.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 11:47:27 AM »
The Irish border is a problem for EU to sort out not rest of UK,  which will keep the border as open as possible, don't know why Irish are worried about borders as 80% + of their exports are to rest of Great Britain.

Just wow. I don't know where to start with that one.

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 04:45:05 PM »
The Irish border is a problem for EU to sort out not rest of UK,  which will keep the border as open as possible, don't know why Irish are worried about borders as 80% + of their exports are to rest of Great Britain.

1. There is already a border (government, different laws, VAT, customs and excise - think fuel, tobacco, alcohol).

2. UK will have no obligation to police the border except and unless UK wish to. They have said they do not wish to do so e.g. no hard border.

3. When UK leave the EU, Ireland has a contractual obligation to the EU to police the physical external borders of the EU, i.e a hard border. This is more than a little awkward for the Irish Government although in the Good Friday Agreement they did give up claim to Northern Ireland.

The bilateral Good Friday Agreement covers the issues of nationality and free movement of people living in Northern Ireland.  Also Ireland and UK are the not members of the EU Schengen Area Agreement because of the bilateral UK/ Irish Common Travel Area. So free movement on the island of Ireland is not an issue, nor is movement between Ireland and UK except for the EU.

Incidentally, by default, after we leave the EU a Northern Ireland citizen would still be able to be all of a UK, Irish and EU citizen as they wish.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 04:52:54 PM »

1. There is already a border (government, different laws, VAT, customs and excise - think fuel, tobacco, alcohol).

2. UK will have no obligation to police the border except and unless UK wish to. They have said they do not wish to do so e.g. no hard border.

3. When UK leave the EU, Ireland has a contractual obligation to the EU to police the physical external borders of the EU, i.e a hard border. This is more than a little awkward for the Irish Government although in the Good Friday Agreement they did give up claim to Northern Ireland.

The bilateral Good Friday Agreement covers the issues of nationality and free movement of people living in Northern Ireland.  Also Ireland and UK are the not members of the EU Schengen Area Agreement because of the bilateral UK/ Irish Common Travel Area. So free movement on the island of Ireland is not an issue, nor is movement between Ireland and UK except for the EU.

Incidentally, by default, after we leave the EU a Northern Ireland citizen would still be able to be all of a UK, Irish and EU citizen as they wish.

+1   

The EU are trying to put all the onus / blame on Great Britain to set up and police the border when it is their pigeon --  There is absolutely not a single shred of goodwill from EU,  and very little from Rep of Ireland on this matter,  they need to get real, it is in everybodies best interests to make it work,  not just for EU and ROI to keep throwing rocks under the wheels of Brexit.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 05:08:41 PM by culzean »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 06:27:52 PM »
Personally, I hope the government spits out the dummy and tells the EU to stuff it. I'm sure a couple of months of WTO rules will have the EU clamouring to sign a trade agreement. And as for the divorce settlement - the money would be better in the UK's coffers than those of the EU.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 11:02:34 AM »
Labour party not the only ones doing a 'U' turn on policy.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5714677/siemens-announces-new-uk-train-factory-despite-brexit-threat-to-quit/

Siemens company has been in UK for a long, long time after William Siemens set up here in 1843

https://www.theiet.org/resources/library/archives/biographies/siemens.cfm 

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 11:31:44 AM »
I sincerely hope I have remembered this fairly correctly.
BMW produce the Mini in the UK.  BUT on TV a couple of days ago and here I hope I am correct, the Mini is part assembled in UK, then taken to France for 'interior'. Returned to UK and then off to Germany for the engine to be fitted. Back to the Uk no doubt to be exported.
If I have got his correct, isn't about time this lunacy was stopped, how much in cost is added to the final product? for the idiots to cough up at the dealership.
If the Europeans want to pay these stupid games, then whatever Blighty decides to do, so long as it is to stop the European gravy train then it must only be a good thing.
It does seem most are of this opinion and I agree with the sentiment of lets tell the Continent to take a hike and we will get on with the rest of the World.
Europe has NEVER been a friend of the UK so lets grab the chance and let them drown in their own idiocy.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 01:16:30 PM »
I voted Leave, but not without a lot of thought and soul searching. However, if there was to be a second referendum, I would now vote Leave without any qualms. I feel the EU want to punish us for daring to break up their club. Quite a few friends, who were torn, like me, have recently voiced the same opinions.

Tags:

anything