Author Topic: First impressions  (Read 1801 times)

Lewo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
First impressions
« on: March 01, 2018, 09:42:10 AM »
Having driven the car a few miles now I just wanted to ask about a couple of things that come to mind.

Firstly the steering and how it doesn't self centre very quickly and sometimes needs a 'helping hand on the steering wheel in that direction' to get it going. When I test drove the car this wasn't an issue. I checked the tyre pressures a couple of days later and they were around 10lb too low and it's since they've been at the correct pressure that I've noticed this issue.
I did test drive another Jazz last year and the steering was very bad on that car, you really had to turn it back to centre quite quickly or the car kept on turning  :o
So this was something I was keen to look out for and as I said it seemed ok on the test drive.

Secondly, the car nearly stalls sometimes when changing from first to second, especially when on a slight incline.
The revs seem to drop quite quickly and it's nearly caught me out a few times.

I'm sure that maybe it's a case of 'getting use to' the car and it's traits but anything obvious with either of those 'quirks'?
TIA

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: First impressions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 09:58:37 AM »
Honda actually were the forerunners with electric power steering so Jazz was a bit of a guinea pig.  As for car nearly stalling from first to second, what kind of revs are you at when you change up ? There is a bit of a jump from first to second gear.  What was your previous car,  if it was a diesel you will have to get used to the different characteristics of petrol engines which need more revs.  If you thing iDSi is bad low down don't get a i-Vtec MK11 > as they are worse.

If you don't know when spark plugs were replaced I would get them done,  the rear 4 plugs of the 8 seem to get missed when front get changed,  and this can affect performance.  Put a few tanks of 97 octane through or a bottle of Redex (ignore the dosage for first treatment just put 500ml in a tank,  it certainly won't do any harm).  Don't be fooled if the car has 'full service history' - they don't do a lot of things unless specifically asked to do them,  and spark plugs seem to one of those things.  I think you already had advice on spark plugs on your post 'new boy alert' - did you change them yet ??

for spark plugs -- (don't buy really cheap spark plugs from internet,  there are lots of copies around that are not good quality ).

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-63563-ngk-bkr6e-11-2756-standard-spark-plug-sparkplug-projected-centre-electrode.aspx

if you prefer Denso..

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-62898-denso-spark-plug-k20pr-u11.aspx
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:05:35 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
I have a MK 2 and how the steering compares I know not BUT after a foray with a pothole, the steering was completely different, reluctant to self centre and a tendency to wander.  Toe in check on  laser 4 wheel equipment, adjustment and back to it's old self.
I am not saying this is the cause of your problem but given the terrible state of the roads there is every likelyhood
that a check might be worthwhile.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 11:31:12 AM »
Lewo, regarding steering I don't think the Jazz has a self centre mode. Because of the electric power steering you tend to be constantly moving the steering wheel a fraction one way or the other. It's an anomaly of the Jazz and although it's something you get used to it's the only downside I have found to the car's design.
Mike.

Lewo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 02:00:27 PM »
Cheers folks, yes I think the steering is something that we'll get used to over time. Our Punto has pretty light steering hence the difference in feel. I just wanted to check if it was a general thing rather than just our car.

As for the stalling, yes I give it a bit more in first to negate that happening again!
The car was serviced last October by previous owner but yes I want to check the plug situation out sometime, oil and filter, air filter & cabin filter as well.

I'm going start to accumulate the parts as of now so any links to places with some deals as well as ECP would be great thanks.

When I put my reg into the Opie system it only gives oil options and nothing else for some reason...

Thanks again.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »
Lewo, regarding steering I don't think the Jazz has a self centre mode. Because of the electric power steering you tend to be constantly moving the steering wheel a fraction one way or the other. It's an anomaly of the Jazz and although it's something you get used to it's the only downside I have found to the car's design.
Mike.

I would second that. I have found the Jazz steering to be vague, a little too finely geared for my taste and does not centre in hurry. Just one of those quirks really.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 03:15:19 PM »
Mike.

I would second that. I have found the Jazz steering to be vague, a little too finely geared for my taste and does not centre in hurry. Just one of those quirks really.

the steering on the Civic is much better - about a full turn lock-to-lock less than the Jazz and so  nice,  I sometimes get into trouble in the wifes Jazz when I drive it by not turning the steering wheel enough,  mainly on tight lower speed bends.  The GE  > steering is much better than GD  though.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 04:59:45 PM »
I have a MK 2 and how the steering compares I know not BUT after a foray with a pothole, the steering was completely different, reluctant to self centre and a tendency to wander.  Toe in check on  laser 4 wheel equipment, adjustment and back to it's old self.
I am not saying this is the cause of your problem but given the terrible state of the roads there is every likelyhood
that a check might be worthwhile.

Agree with neddy here, I have found that the Jazz is extremely susceptible to the slightest of tracking error. On most cars, you can usually get away with a small error and not notice. The spec for the Jazz says 0 ±3.0mm, but you can really feel the difference when the Jazz is just a little toed out.

Ours was a mile out when we got it and the steering was awful, particularly the self-centreing,  but I adjusted it so it was near enough, and  certainly within the ±3mm. However, I have adjusted it again to get it spot on - and you can certainly tell the difference in the steering feel. The Jazz steering is never going to feel lively, but if it feels excessively dead or refuses to centre, get the tracking checked by someone who knows what they're doing, as neddy says.

Tags:

anything