Author Topic: Bit of a daft question....  (Read 3974 times)

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
Bit of a daft question....
« on: February 03, 2018, 10:24:18 AM »
I have Arthritis quite bad and the doctor says I will be able to have a knee replacement operation.
It's left knee. Driving is becoming a great pain and discomfort. I have a mk3 Jazz and quite like the car but clutch pedal operation is becoming more and more difficult.
I'm considering changing it for an automatic.
Never had one before.
Anybody out there with similar problems ?
Will it be worth the Change ?
How much is it likely to cost ?
Got 13000 miles on current car.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
Re: Bit of a daft question....
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 11:01:54 AM »
I suffered osteo-arthritis in my left knee for years. I changed to an automatic (Ford Focus at that time) for this reason about six years ago.

When we discovered Jazzes about five years ago it was therefore a no-brainer to go CVT, and we currently have a Mk1 and a Mk3 jazz both CVT.

I had a TKR (total knee replacement) last October. Three months later I can walk several miles without pain, without a stick and without a limp. :D It's not all roses though. I have 110 degree bend which is good but not enough to cycle and it does make getting out of the car in tight spaces a bit awkward. Also some pain at night. Everyone says it takes a year to fully settle.

The only take away from my experience is that if you are thinking of changing your car for knee problems, with a TKR in your future, it might be worth thinking about one which is easier to get in and out. The Jazz is better than many cars but there are better, with higher level seats so you slide in rather than down. Don't get me wrong I am not going to change my Mk 3 for this reason, but if I was buying now it would be a factor.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:05:51 AM by mikebore »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »
The cost will become apparent when you buy. About £1,000 extra if buying new. However many of us here and elsewhere would recommend automatics to anyone anyway. In my opinion a CVT automatic is the best choice - very smooth and capable. I switched from manual to automatic over ten years ago in my late 30s and have never looked back. I've heard good things about DSG but they are better on the open road than pootling around town whereas CVT works well everywhere.

Still - it's the 21st century and in my opinion people should leave the drudgery of gear changing to a computer. Consign it to history along with hand operated windscreen wipers, manual timing adjustment and manual chokes.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:06:38 AM by andruec »

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 11:36:48 AM »
I had a half knee replacement on my left leg ten years ago and I'm still driving manuals. My wife had a whole (left) knee replacement 2 years ago and she's still driving manuals.

If you work at the post-op physio you'll soon forget that you ever had surgery!
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 02:52:53 PM »
 As far as cost is concerned, there should be some 2 year-old Mk3 cvt's in dealers for a part-exchange.  They'll be glad to have your low mileage manual, and I wouldn't worry about buying a higher mileage exchange, as they are very reliable.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 03:36:23 PM »
Interesting discussion. My knees aren't an issue yet but my left ankle has been troublesome for years and I also suffer from frozen shoulder on my left side - in fact I'm having an ultrasound scan on that in the next 2 weeks. As a result of this I'm thinking along similar lines as the OP. The constant movement on the left side is not doing my problems any favours and I've read a number of articles suggesting that automatic transmissions can help.

I've seen a few delivery mileage Mk3 EX CVTs for around £15,500 in the North West. They are around £18,500 normally so some shifting of stock going on ahead of the new registration. I'm test driving one, in blue, next week. 15 miles on the clock - 67 plate.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 06:34:34 PM »
A bit controversial maybe but in your position I would be looking at the new Toyota Yaris hybrids. There should be some nearly new models knocking about. I still have my 2005 Jazz but my Toyota RAV4 hybrid is my first automatic and it is superb but old generation hybrid. I think the Yaris has a newer version and the efficiency is much improved.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 07:19:03 PM »
My last car was a Yaris, it is smaller and nowhere near as versatile as a jazz. The suspension is harsh compared to the Jazz.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 08:38:17 PM »
My last car was a Yaris, it is smaller and nowhere near as versatile as a jazz. The suspension is harsh compared to the Jazz.

True, you won't find a car with more interior space for its external dimensions than the Jazz. It is the 16" wheels and weird size tyres that do the Jazz suspension no favours. Her indoors wants me to leave 15" winter tyres on all year round.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 09:16:06 PM »
One reason I went for an SE, 15 " wheels and sensible tyres. Better and more comfortable than showroom bling wheels and rubber band tyres. :-)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:18:07 PM by Deeps »

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 10:44:00 PM »
Have a test drive and ask the sales manager if you can do a weekend extended test drive. Explain your situation and I am sure some thing can be arranged. But automatic is wonderful and it will give you that freedom back! Best wishes! Shop around though and make sure you get a good price for your current car. May be think about selling privately to get the best price.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 09:40:05 AM »
A bit controversial maybe but in your position I would be looking at the new Toyota Yaris hybrids. There should be some nearly new models knocking about. I still have my 2005 Jazz but my Toyota RAV4 hybrid is my first automatic and it is superb but old generation hybrid. I think the Yaris has a newer version and the efficiency is much improved.

I did think about the Yaris. Up front there is actually as much if not more room than the Jazz. It's when you look at the rest of the car that it falls down a bit. Very tight in the back and a tiny boot. That said it is actually quite rare that we have passengers in the back apart from the grandkids. I've haven't ruled it out though.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 09:42:17 AM »

True, you won't find a car with more interior space for its external dimensions than the Jazz. It is the 16" wheels and weird size tyres that do the Jazz suspension no favours. Her indoors wants me to leave 15" winter tyres on all year round.

Think I'm right in thinking that either the AA or the RAC leave winter tyres on all year round on their vans. I'll check that out.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 09:48:36 AM »

Think I'm right in thinking that either the AA or the RAC leave winter tyres on all year round on their vans. I'll check that out.

Winter (mud and snowtyres) are, as the name suggests better on mud than summer tyres (self clearing tread) - we went to a hill climb at Shelsley Walsh last year and knowing that it had rained and grass carpark was on the side of a hill I took summers off and put the Nokians on just for the day, better safe than sorry.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 09:51:58 AM »

I did think about the Yaris. Up front there is actually as much if not more room than the Jazz. It's when you look at the rest of the car that it falls down a bit. Very tight in the back and a tiny boot. That said it is actually quite rare that we have passengers in the back apart from the grandkids. I've haven't ruled it out though.

Yaris is same interior as a lot of 'handbag cars' (eg. Fiat 500, Mini ) with ''normal' room in front seats but room for a small dog in the back, and a boot that is full when two shopping bags are in it.

Tags:

anything