Author Topic: Battery discharging  (Read 13160 times)

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Battery discharging
« on: January 30, 2018, 07:15:30 PM »
I have a 61plate EV CVT Jazz.every so often I go to start it.and the battery is flat .no obvious lights left on.
It has new battery.
Dealer has checked several times
Can't find an unusual drain. They say modern cars have a lot more electronics. Thereby blaming Honda for not fitting a decent charging system.
Any ideas?
BTW.my 20yr old Toyota has no such problem. And is maybe used even less

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Battery discharging
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 07:42:34 PM »
Did the problem start after the new battery was fitted, thinking along the lines of a poor connection at the battery.
When the car doesn't start does it turn over?
When the battery is flat what is the state of the headlights and horn, do they still work properly?
Possibly there is a poor connection between the battery and the negative earth cable and the car body. The battery is connected to the body near the battery and there is another earth strap at the other end of the engine between the engine mount and the body.

Vic.

Johncb500

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:00:35 PM »
It had a problem on the test drive. The sales guy rang his mechanic and he "jumped " it.
A new battery was fitted before delivery.
Since then. It happens about every month. But very difficult to find the cause

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:06:58 PM »
If it happens after a short journey and the car is then left for a couple of days it could be a charging problem, ie, the alternator although this is a very rare occurrence. The alternator output is easily checked by the dealer.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 08:10:19 PM »
Do you have jump leads? Next time it does it, connect jump lead from battery negative to engine metalwork and see if that makes a difference. Sometimes poor earthing from the engine can be an issue.
Another thing to check is that something in the boot is not switching on the boot light. Someone reported a problem with that flattening battery.
Jazz charging system is normally more than adequate for the job it needs to do,

guest4871

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 11:00:07 PM »
I have had exactly a similar problem since new in 2014.

I noticed from new that the voltage on the battery (Varta originally) declined steadily over time and therefore I charged the battery once a month. I was surprised at the first service that the voltage was 12.43 volts and I was equally surprised to be told by the dealer they had seen worse!

I never had a sensible voltage reading on the Jazz so I bought a new Yuasa. At the same time I purchased the same battery for another car.

I found I had the same problem with the Jazz despite the new battery. The other car's battery retains its voltage perfectly.

I checked the residual current drain on the Jazz and it is 20 milliamps  ie normal (if not good!).

The alternator charges at the correct voltage.

The Jazz does many short journeys of only 3 miles or so. The other car does at least one continuous journey of 15 miles per week.

My conclusion is that, by charging the original Varta battery on the Jazz, I was hiding the problem.

The Jazz either needs a non stop journey of, at least, 15 miles each week to keep the battery in good condition - or a recharge of the battery once a week, which I now do.

The battery in the Jazz used regularly for many short journeys never gets fully recharged and thus declines until it gets below the level that would start the car (i.e. flat battery) - which is a little curious for what is a town car.

So, nothing is wrong with the Jazz, as such.

It seems, simply, down to the way the car is used.

Hope this helps.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 07:01:04 AM »
My car normally gets used for 2 x 3.6 mile trips each day, five days a week. I have never experienced battery issues like this. The difference, my car does not have an alarm, with its insidious drain on the battery. A lot to be said for "old tech".

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 04:39:47 PM »
If you have a voltmeter check the voltage across battery terminals when engine is at about 2000 rpm,  it should be 13.9 to about 14.3 volts,  anything below that may be the problem.  I have helped a few people when garages have struggled,  one did short journeys and his battery kept going flat, the garage sold him a new battery and said it was charging OK, I checked the charging voltage and it was about 13.2v - turns out his alternator had blown a diode (there are normally 6 in there) and it had dropped output voltage just enough that combination of short runs and low voltage could not keep battery up to the job.   An alarm will normally drain battery fairly quickly, (will drain a fully charged battery in less than a couple of weeks). Another thing to watch out for is a heated rear screen relay stuck closed or boot / glovebox light stuck on.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 05:35:50 PM »
I have a voltmeter like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Display-Cigarette-Lighter-Electric-Voltage-Meter-F-Auto-Car-DC-12V-New/401417925394?epid=2164959145&hash=item5d765f7312:g:L90AAOSwGotWojDW

means easy check of the battery voltage when the ignition is turned on, and gives an idea of the output of the alternator when the engines running. Won't be as accurate as a proper voltmeter across the battery terminals, but will give a good idea, and it can always be installed  :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 07:16:29 PM »
I have a voltmeter like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Display-Cigarette-Lighter-Electric-Voltage-Meter-F-Auto-Car-DC-12V-New/401417925394?epid=2164959145&hash=item5d765f7312:g:L90AAOSwGotWojDW

means easy check of the battery voltage when the ignition is turned on, and gives an idea of the output of the alternator when the engines running. Won't be as accurate as a proper voltmeter across the battery terminals, but will give a good idea, and it can always be installed  :)

I fitted one of these - to give more 12volt sockets for dashcam, satnav and phone charger etc.  Fitted with velcro to side of transmission tunnel, the red, amber and green 'voltage' lights seem pretty good with the red and amber ones on with engine stopped and green only comes on with engine running. Green has been a bit slow to come on sometimes until engine revved.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RMS3-Adaptor-Multisocket-Battery-Analyser/dp/B000RW043Y
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Johncb500

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 07:34:41 PM »
Thanks all.I will check the charging .under load.and without lights etc.
My main worry is leaving the car at an airport carpark for 10days and having a flat battery  at 11,30pm on a wet Sunday.
This issue is really taking the the fun out of owning a Honda.
PS.My first Honda was an N600.then an Integra.also a CB500/4 bike

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 08:16:26 PM »
Thanks all.I will check the charging .under load.and without lights etc.
My main worry is leaving the car at an airport carpark for 10days and having a flat battery  at 11,30pm on a wet Sunday.
This issue is really taking the the fun out of owning a Honda.
PS.My first Honda was an N600.then an Integra.also a CB500/4 bike

It is not an endemic problem with GE Jazz, my wife's car has been left almost a month without being driven and started easily  first time, her sister's Toyota Avensis (fitted with alarm) flattens the battery in less than two weeks. I also had workmate with a Civic (fitted with alarm) and that would not last two weeks unused without a flat battery -  alarm makes sure no one can steal the car by ensuring battery is flat, not a good sales point.

You need a good healthy battery on a CVT because can not be tow or push started, only way is to jump start. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:22:27 PM by culzean »

John A

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 07:01:26 AM »
I used a power pack like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DBPOWER-8000mAh-Portable-Emergency-Flashlight-Black-Yellow/dp/B076HG11SC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1517468352&sr=8-2&keywords=dbpower+300a+8000mah+portable+mini+car+jump+starter&refinements=p_89%3ADBPOWER

on a friends 1.6 petrol Audi that only had just enough power to turn on the inside lights to start its engine. Small enough to keep in the glove box, and easily charged through the micro usb port.

Johncb500

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 07:40:06 PM »
Thanks for the mini battery pack idea.
Does it recharge from aux power socket? Like sat-nav

John A

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 07:44:49 PM »
Thanks for the mini battery pack idea.
Does it recharge from aux power socket? Like sat-nav

Charge it using any standard USB power source, though if it's flat then the higher its output the quicker it'll recharge it.

Tags:

anything