Author Topic: new revised mk 3  (Read 8629 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: new revised mk 3
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 04:35:29 PM »
I only ever replace a car when the current one is done. My cast offs go for spares or repair or the scrappy. I always get my money's worth out of a car - and then some. Buy cheap, run for ever, walk away when no longer viable.

That's definitely the way to do it (unless you drive a huge annual mileage). Wish I had the self discipline because there can be a pride in ownership - keeping a machine well maintained.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 04:45:28 PM »
I only ever replace a car when the current one is done. My cast offs go for spares or repair or the scrappy. I always get my money's worth out of a car - and then some. Buy cheap, run for ever, walk away when no longer viable.

That's definitely the way to do it (unless you drive a huge annual mileage). Wish I had the self discipline because there can be a pride in ownership - keeping a machine well maintained.

I tend to keep cars for a while as well and they get well looked after (but not polished), the problem in UK may be 'number plate snobbery' where people like to have the latest year plate on their car (other countries don't put date on number plate), the answer is to have a personal (vanity) plate which means others can't see just by the number plate how old your car is.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 04:48:57 PM »
.... In my experience Honda spare parts are quite expensive. Don't know if that's because of low demand or reflects the high quality.
Probably as there is no UK shelf stock of anything of moderate value, some stuff might come from HME (Honda Motors Europe in Belgium) within the week, but often it's got to come from production parts diverted at source.  For e.g. a colleague needed an exhaust for a newish Lexus after damage, car was off road for more than two months waiting, so I doubt there are any MK3 CVT boxes held as spares anywhere. Also this is one reason lightly damaged new cars can so easily get written off, an undetermined lead time for original parts.
--
TG

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 04:57:40 PM »

It'd be a boring world if we all only bought things we had to. I choose to fritter my spare funds on a new car every three or four years. I'm sure there are things you spend money on that aren't actually necessary. As long as no-one is getting into debt to satisfy their desires I don't see the problem. When I finally retire I will hang onto my cars for longer but right now a new car every three or four years is well within my financial reach. My savings accounts keep growing anyway.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 05:25:56 PM »
I agree with that as well audrec!

I seem able to hold 2 mutually exclusive views at the same time. Jocko has the economics spot on but that new car feeling is also something which, if you can afford it, gives a lot of pleasure. A mate of mine who changes every three years tells me that new cars are his "drug of choice"

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 08:58:56 AM »
I can understand the desire to see things last a long time - my boiler has been getting spare parts advisory warnings on its annual service but I am willing it to keep going. Not just because of the cost of replacing it but because there is something nice about seeing machinery keeping going and going. Something like The Curiosity rover on Mars is truly, truly awesome. But at the same time I believe in technological progress so when something I use and enjoy a lot can be improved on it gets replaced.

Same deal - sorta - with my desire for reduced fuel consumption. I could reduce it by buying a smaller car..but that would be a backward step in my eyes. That's avoiding a problem rather than solving it. I don't see technology as bad - I see it as good.

LJs JAZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es cvt
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 10:01:05 AM »
Just another angle on personalized numberplates, we have such a plate on our car, just because my wife could never find our car on the larger car parks. We had silver cars whe that colour was popular, we now have grey, try finding a car that colour on a big car park.
My wife is hopeless when it comes to cars, dose not even no what make /  model we have, but remembers the reg no!!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 10:06:07 AM »
Forgive the digression, but I can't resist it ...
... there is something nice about seeing machinery keeping going and going. Something like The Curiosity rover on Mars is truly, truly awesome.
Curiosity is the new boy on Mars, it's only (!) been there since Aug 2012. The really impressive machine is Opportunity which has just celebrated it's 14th anniversary of landing in January 2004, and is still going strong. See: https://mars.nasa.gov/mer/home/

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 10:24:17 AM »
... there is something nice about seeing machinery keeping going and going. Something like The Curiosity rover on Mars is truly, truly awesome.
Curiosity is the new boy on Mars, it's only (!) been there since Aug 2012. The really impressive machine is Opportunity which has just celebrated it's 14th anniversary of landing in January 2004, and is still going strong. See: https://mars.nasa.gov/mer/home/
Good point. But I'll see your Opportunity and raise you Voyager 1 :)

Something that humans built, is out there right now. Still working. Amazing.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 10:24:50 AM »

They are mere babies compared to voyager 1 and 2 -   https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 12:43:40 PM »
There is a first drive report of the 1.5 Jazz in this week's Auto Express. It seems the suspension is stiffer, it is noisier,  and they prefer the 1.3 model. It doesn't cut it as a warm hatch, and they think it is overpriced.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 01:27:14 PM »
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/jazz/102456/new-honda-jazz-sport-2018-review

Don't think I will ever want one. Lacks low down torque, noisy at motorway speeds, needs the gearbox to be used to keep on the boil. Everything my Jazz isn't.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 12:36:15 PM »
There is a first drive report of the 1.5 Jazz in this week's Auto Express. It seems the suspension is stiffer, it is noisier,  and they prefer the 1.3 model. It doesn't cut it as a warm hatch, and they think it is overpriced.

Yes - if you want speed from a small hatchback you are going to look at offerings from Ford and VW before this car. Kind of falls between 2 stools.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 01:44:05 PM »

Yes - if you want speed from a small hatchback you are going to look at offerings from Ford and VW before this car. Kind of falls between 2 stools.

A 1.5 without a turbo was never going to be more than a 'slightly tepid' hatch. What Honda has made is a slowish car that looks fast, but I would rather have a wolf in sheeps clothing than the opposite. This car is short of about 70 ponies.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 02:40:20 PM by culzean »

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 11:57:14 AM »
A naturally aspirated 130bhp engine in a supermini doesn't cut it as a warm hatch or as economy transport.

Tags: