Author Topic: expected distance for a full tank  (Read 10717 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: expected distance for a full tank
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 10:52:54 PM »
I doff my cap to you Jocko - you get fantastic figures.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 06:42:43 AM »
I’m guessing there is an overall incline that gets higher the further east you drive from Devon.

In my experience, headwind, or lack of or tailwind makes the biggest difference to consumption when driving at around 70mph.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 09:51:37 AM »
As of this morning, my Mk3 EX has covered 12534 miles at an average of 51.8 MPG, (indicated) which on paper means I should be getting circa 450 miles per tank. I have to admit I very rarely see that sort of range, more generally it is around 375-400 miles between fill up.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 10:47:36 AM »
I’m guessing there is an overall incline that gets higher the further east you drive from Devon.

In my experience, headwind, or lack of or tailwind makes the biggest difference to consumption when driving at around 70mph.

http://wikicars.org/en/Fuel_economy_in_automobiles

Above 30mph (average vehicle aerodynamics) wind becomes the dominant force for vehicle to overcome - and increase in drag is not linear increases rapidly as speed rises (drag proportional to square of speed),  To get a feel for it drag your hand slowly through bath of water and then increase the speed and feel how much harder it gets as speed increases,  air is less dense than water but behaves in pretty much the same way (the sound barrier is caused by air compressing in front of an aircraft when it cannot get out of the way quickly enough and it takes tremendous power to get through sound barrier,  Concord was one of the few aircraft (including military planes) that could 'supercruise' - ie fly faster than speed of sound without using afterburners (or reheat as it is sometimes called) - it needed afterburners to get through barrier,  but strangely did not need them afterwards - maybe flying at 60,000+ feet where air is thin had something to do with it).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 12:09:55 PM »
A headwind makes a bigger difference on the minus side than a tailwind on the plus side. On Saturday my usual trip was much more fuel efficient, because there was hardly a breath of wind. Normally the wind funnels down the Forth/Clyde valley and my trip is an equal West-East outward half and the opposite on the return.
With regards to
As of this morning, my Mk3 EX has covered 12534 miles at an average of 51.8 MPG, (indicated) which on paper means I should be getting circa 450 miles per tank. I have to admit I very rarely see that sort of range, more generally it is around 375-400 miles between fill up.
we seldom see what can be achieved on a full tank, as we never get right down to empty. There is still a load of fuel left when the warning light comes on, but I, for one, top up within a few miles of the warning light appearing.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 12:28:46 PM »
I doff my cap to you Jocko - you get fantastic figures.
I try not to waste petrol. It is a game with me. When I bring the car out of the garage in the morning, the moment the front wheels are on the down ramp I switch off the ignition. When I start away I allow no warm up. I put the car in 1st, turn the key, and as soon as the engine fires the clutch is up and I am off. I seldom come to a complete stop in traffic, trying to keep the wheels rolling however slightly/slowly (you know how hard it is to push a stationary car but much easier once you get it moving). I switch the ignition off every time I get stopped at a set of traffic lights that I know will be red for a while (I drive the same routes day in and day out). I hang back as I approach every red light, hoping it will change in my favour, and treat every green light as if it will turn red as I reach it. It is pointless to accelerate to a green light as that is fuel you have wasted if it changes (or like so many other drivers, you continue on through the amber!). Before I pull away from parked I wait until the traffic clears so I just start and go. In a supermarket car park I drive into a bay where I can drive in and out in a forwards direction, even if it means a longer walk (supermarket trolley doesn't use petrol!). All these little tricks, used every time I drive, adds up to petrol saved and good mpg figures. Remember, most of my miles driven are in town and in traffic and the rest is on busy main roads.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 01:49:20 PM »
Yes - I do some of those things Jocko. I think my big problem is the fact that I do so many really short journeys - as in 2 miles - stop - then 2 miles back - some even shorter. On the plus side, Warrington, where we live is as flat as a pancake but it does suffer from heavy traffic. My average speed is usually about 15 mph over a tankful.

Try to walk on the shorter trips although if my wife is with me we often take the car on account of her dodgy knees.

Tags: