Author Topic: Exhaust  (Read 1678 times)

guest7024

Exhaust
« on: December 29, 2017, 01:45:04 PM »
Rear box snapped off  are 2bolts captive nuts or just nuts and Bolt there rotten and will shear when try to undo

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 05:25:01 PM »
They are separate bolts with a compression spring.  If cut you can use a standard bolt with a suitable washer, but original type with shoulder is recommended.  Ensure joint has some movement with donut fibre washer between flanges, if bolted up solid pipe will break much sooner than expected.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest7024

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 05:36:39 PM »
They are separate bolts with a compression spring.  If cut you can use a standard bolt with a suitable washer, but original type with shoulder is recommended.  Ensure joint has some movement with donut fibre washer between flanges, if bolted up solid pipe will break much sooner than expected.
--
TG
Thank you that's great

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »
My back box snapped off today too. Luckily I had just turned in street, outside my flat. I was able to crawl the 50 yards to my garage, where I removed the box. I then drove to my local Kwik Fit, another 300 yards. They checked for any other damage (all okay), ordered a new box and I left the car with them. An hour later they phoned to say it was ready.
£138.25 lighter, I drove home.
I could have bought a box much cheaper, but then I would have had to get it fitted, and as I need car tomorrow doing it myself was not an option.
The box was not rusted. It was a clean break. Obviously, the garage that replaced the rest of the exhaust last spring, had over-tightened the joint, allowing no slack. Fatigue had caused it to fracture.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:36:30 PM »
From what I have seen on aftermarket exhausts the flexible joint at front end to allow engine movement is nowhere near as effective as Honda original 'spring loaded ball and socket' joint and puts strain on exhaust. Problem is unless you plan an exhaust replacement it is usually a panic to get a new one fitted and you end up with one that is only light gauge and much less weighty and solid than the original and from experience fail just after 18 or 24 month warranty has expired, only had one fail just before warranty expired and got another one free.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 09:24:29 AM »
Morning, I had to change a fire exhaust ring gasket mid last yr. it appears that culzean comment is correct. This was fitted to an after market exhaust system. There is a squeak from the exhaust when u press the excelleerator pedal to aggressively. Mechanic said is does no damage just sounds a bit annoyed. Soon after it was fitted no noise. Now noise again. Oh well if that’s all wrong with my car I’ll live with it 😀

Tags: