Author Topic: A squeak when reversing.  (Read 3147 times)

Jem

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
A squeak when reversing.
« on: December 28, 2017, 09:31:46 PM »
I have had a noise developed on my car. It seems to have a sort of squeak or maybe a whine when I reverse the car on to my drive. It sounds like it is coming from the rear of the car on the drivers side. It does not always do it. Sometimes it does it more than others or not at all.

Any ideas on what it cold be?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: A squeak when reversing.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 10:11:15 PM »
I have had a noise developed on my car. It seems to have a sort of squeak or maybe a whine when I reverse the car on to my drive. It sounds like it is coming from the rear of the car on the drivers side. It does not always do it. Sometimes it does it more than others or not at all.

Any ideas on what it cold be?

Pretty much every car I have driven has a whine when reversing - it is due to the way reverse gears are made.

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-why-your-car-makes-that-weird-whining-sound-in-1793174286
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jem

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz sport 1.4 In blue! :D
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 10:16:32 PM »
It is  it that noise. It is different to that.

It comes from the back of the car and it does not always do it.

Sometimes it lasts for a moment or a few seconds. There is the normal sound of the gears but that is not this noise.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 10:22:37 PM »
It is  it that noise. It is different to that.

It comes from the back of the car and it does not always do it.

Sometimes it lasts for a moment or a few seconds. There is the normal sound of the gears but that is not this noise.

well if it only makes the noise in reverse it is unlikely to be a wheel bearing, only other things are brakes or tyres.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 08:43:45 AM »
Sounds like a brake scuffing. Try gently easing the handbrake on if it is doing it, see if the sound changes.

Tags: