Author Topic: Car DC socket  (Read 2220 times)

Sharon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004. Mk1
Car DC socket
« on: December 26, 2017, 10:00:34 AM »
Will it be 8 amps or 15? Received a gadget that  says 'do not use with older 8amp sockets'.  :-( 

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Car DC socket
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 10:27:32 AM »
Check the fuse chart in the instruction book.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:40:48 AM »
Will it be 8 amps or 15? Received a gadget that  says 'do not use with older 8amp sockets'.  :-( 

What is it ? a kettle or a heater  :o  (guessing it may be a tyre inflator pump - they draw a few amps,  had a neighbour who blew all his tyres up using one and then his car would not start - flat battery LOL,  maybe he should have started the car first before using pump).  My advice is that if it draws more than 8 amps only use it for short periods when engine is running,  Jazz does not have a big battery (35Ah and 35/8 = just about 4 hours from fully charged to totally flat with a new battery -  but with an older battery which has lost capacity may be a little as 1 or 2 hours).

Fuse F27 (passenger fusebox) for accessory socket (cigarette lighter) is listed as 15 amps in Haynes manual,  Should be light blue colour,  if brown is 7.5 amps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:59:22 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004. Mk1
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 11:49:10 AM »
ha,yes, how did you guess? Tyre inflator pump thingee. Save me queing up and paying for air! It's actually cordless, but can be plugged into the batt socket if it runs out. In that case, I'll leave the engine on. Thanks!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 01:31:26 PM »
I use my tyre inflator regularly, using power/cigar lighter socket. Inflator has a 10A fuse fitted. The instructions tell you to start the engine first, but I just use my inflator for checking and topping up the pressure, so I don't bother starting the engine first. Different if I was blowing a tyre up from scratch.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 03:31:58 PM »
ha,yes, how did you guess? Tyre inflator pump thingee. Save me queing up and paying for air! It's actually cordless, but can be plugged into the batt socket if it runs out. In that case, I'll leave the engine on. Thanks!

I have had a double barrel Michelin foot pump for many years now,  keeps my leg muscles in shape and clips together does not take up much room alongside spare tyre in wheel well. Does not need any batteries either and will never flatten my battery  :)

Last time I paid for air it was to fill a diving bottle,  and that has been a few years ago...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 08:15:06 PM »
I had a similar pump and was perfectly happy with it, but was then given an electric pump as a gift. Never ever went back. At my age, I'll happily risk a flat battery over a heart attack, any day!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 09:28:34 PM »
I had a similar pump and was perfectly happy with it, but was then given an electric pump as a gift. Never ever went back. At my age, I'll happily risk a flat battery over a heart attack, any day!

Got at least three electric pumps gathering dust and offering free housing to spiders in the garage.

Funny how some people will go to the gym once a week but take lifts instead of stairs, park right next to supermarket entrance and generally avoid 'free' everyday exercise - silly really.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 09:51:43 PM »
Another fan for the electric pump, so much more convenient than the foot powered variety.

guest5079

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 10:59:26 AM »
I use the German pump supplied with the car BUT like Jocko only use it for top ups due to the amount of power it requires. Having a knee joint that needed replacement 10 yrs ago( still going strong but has to be treated with care being a coward I will endure the pain I know and not what some I know have had to put up with)  the footpump has had to be retired.
Be careful as Culzean says due to the power these pumps need if like me your battery is getting on in years, have the engine running when you use the pump. According to the dealer my 7 yr old battery was good but an hour working with a door open was enough to flatten it. So a new battery was the order of the day.
As an aside the pump that came with the gunge repair kit is fairly accurate only disagreeing with an old fashioned
pressure gauge by 1lb per sq inch.

Tags: