Author Topic: Dropped plastic tube in transmission reservoir  (Read 1870 times)

RScorpio

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2013 EXL CVT. Previously Honda Jazz 2004 SE CVT
Dropped plastic tube in transmission reservoir
« on: January 04, 2018, 09:57:37 PM »
Need a bit of advice. In my zest for adding the Xado CVT transmission additive (which I really should't have ever bought as my car was running all fine), I realised to my horror today that the plastic pipe attachment which comes with it somehow got loose and got left behind in the transmission fluid pipe..I stupidly tried to remove it but ended up pushing it even further and made the situation even worse to the extent that I cant even feel the plastic attachment anymore with my finger.

Does anyone know what can be done? I have been trying to google online and have come across some instances where people have dropped something in, but haven't experienced any issues.

I am hoping that being made of soft plastic would perhaps mean it is unlikely to be a match for moving metal parts and gets shredded..but to be honest I really don't know what goes on inside and what is likely to happen. Is there any  transmission fluid filter which may prevent it from making this an issue? Anyone got any comments? ???

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Dropped plastic tube in transmission reservoir
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 09:08:57 AM »
Need a bit of advice. In my zest for adding the Xado CVT transmission additive (which I really should't have ever bought as my car was running all fine), I realised to my horror today that the plastic pipe attachment which comes with it somehow got loose and got left behind in the transmission fluid pipe..I stupidly tried to remove it but ended up pushing it even further and made the situation even worse to the extent that I cant even feel the plastic attachment anymore with my finger.

Does anyone know what can be done? I have been trying to google online and have come across some instances where people have dropped something in, but haven't experienced any issues.

I am hoping that being made of soft plastic would perhaps mean it is unlikely to be a match for moving metal parts and gets shredded..but to be honest I really don't know what goes on inside and what is likely to happen. Is there any  transmission fluid filter which may prevent it from making this an issue? Anyone got any comments? ???

There may be a coarse filter on the fill tube at the bottom though,  need an exploded view of gearbox, myself I would try to retrieve the tube anyway... 

You can try to screw a long woodscrew into it lightly and try to coax it back once thread has gripped inside of plastic tube but not forced it out to grip metal tube yet (bit of side pressure on screw) - otherwise end of a coarse rat tail (tapered round file) may help,  do you have any galvanised wire about 1 or 1.5mm diameter,  bend a few mm of the end into a 90 degree 'hook' and try to feed it through plastic tube and pull it back out.   
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 10:29:14 AM »
Kwik Fit did that with my Carlton. I insisted they pulled sump and retrieved it. Just the end was protruding into the oil. Cost them a new gasket and another oil change (they had just replaced radiator and transmission oil cooler). Red faces all round, that day!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 01:04:19 PM »
do you have any galvanised wire about 1 or 1.5mm diameter,  bend a few mm of the end into a 90 degree 'hook' and try to feed it through plastic tube and pull it back out.

I've had success with similar implements, well worth trying this. 1/16" gas welding rod is ideal.

If you can't get to the bottom of the pipe, another thing that has worked for me is bending the hook back on itself slightly and sharpening the point... use it to 'snag' the foreign article.

RScorpio

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2013 EXL CVT. Previously Honda Jazz 2004 SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 07:48:49 PM »
Thanks everyone, much appreciate it. I will give it a try to remove it tomorrow and see if anything works, though not very confident considering how difficult reaching the opening of the pipe is in the first instance - I really don't know why the car designers have designed it in such a bad way.

..By the way I did actually drive my car today, so far seems to be running fine but at worst case, what if I unable to remove it, does anyone think leaving it there might be okay, considering its plastic after all?

Tags:

anything