Author Topic: Is there a way to charge a starter battery from an IMA battery on Hybrid Jazz?  (Read 2072 times)

Bonobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
It was never a better weather to ask this question - is there a way to charge a starter/traditional battery from an IMA/hybrid battery on Hybrid Jazz MK2?

Or maybe even self-jump-start?

And if I want to buy a replacement what keyword/type should I search for to get the same physical size one, not just polarity and electric capacity.

And also if there is already an IMA battery, why the traditional one is still present?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:04:50 PM by Bonobo »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
I think that the basic answer is that the two batteries are different voltages.
The normal battery is, of course, 12V whereas the hybrid battery is, I think, about 100V.

Vic.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
And also if there is already an IMA battery, why the traditional one is still present?
Belt and braces by Honda, I suspect, but it keeps the electrics/electronics simpler if the 12V battery powers the various accessories and electrical problems are the No. 1 cause of headaches with modern vehicles.

As for replacement starter batteries, I think it's the same as the normal Mk 2 Jazz so read https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8907.0. Check the handbook for the battery details.

2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
Are you concerned about the starter battery running down? 

If so, you could get one of those jump packs - they charge from USB.

Bonobo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
I think that the basic answer is that the two batteries are different voltages.
The normal battery is, of course, 12V whereas the hybrid battery is, I think, about 100V.

Vic.
Surely it is possible to have a converter from 100v to 12v, is not it?

Bonobo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
As for replacement starter batteries, I think it's the same as the normal Mk 2 Jazz so read https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8907.0. Check the handbook for the battery details.
I am afraid I did not find an answer to my question about battery type in that thread.
Also, I do not seem to know where my handbook is. Is it somehow possible to download it from Honda website?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Trying to answer the OP question you can't charge the starter battery from the IMA battery.

Under normal conditions the engine is started from the IMA which sits between the engine and gearbox , only in really cold conditions  the normal starter.

The battery under the bonnet is the same as those used on non hybrid jazz's, the IMA battery is Honda only just pray you don't need to replace it as it costs approximately £1600!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:19:41 PM by JazzyB »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
I am afraid I did not find an answer to my question about battery type in that thread.
Also, I do not seem to know where my handbook is. Is it somehow possible to download it from Honda website?
Go to https://www.yuasa.co.uk/ and fill in the details in the forum: Car > Jazz > Petrol/Electric and it comes up with Honda Jazz 1.3 IMA Hybrid Petrol/Electric (2010-2016) needs battery YBX5054 https://www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx5053-782.html. Yuasa is the brand recommended by many forum members. (Don't ask me to explain why the web page for YBX5054 has ybx5053 in the name).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.

Have look under the left hand rear seat.Lift the seat up, there should be a storage for the folder that includes the handbook.

Vic.

Tags:

anything