Author Topic: Headlight adjustment.  (Read 5572 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Headlight adjustment.
« on: December 06, 2017, 04:56:30 PM »
I have just fitted a pair of Halfords 150% bulbs to my Mk3 Jazz and find that the dipped beam is marginally too high for my liking when the adjuster is set to position '0' and too low when on position '1', which means I need to manually adjust the headlight assembly.
Can anyone tell me where the adjusting screws are? As the handbook regards this as Dealer only action.
Many thanks.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Headlight adjustment.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 07:05:24 PM »
I have just fitted a pair of Halfords 150% bulbs to my Mk3 Jazz and find that the dipped beam is marginally too high for my liking when the adjuster is set to position '0' and too low when on position '1', which means I need to manually adjust the headlight assembly.
Can anyone tell me where the adjusting screws are? As the handbook regards this as Dealer only action.
Many thanks.

Look behind the headlights for a coloured button with a hexagon in it for 6 or 8mm Allen key and normally a screwdriver slot as well.  When I have adjusted headlights before I normally shine them on a garage door and before adjusting mark a definite point on beam with coloured sticky tape (top edge of beam or hotspot) as a reference point to see which way I'm going when I turn adjuster.  If you can't find anything as described above to adjust on your mark 3 the adjustment may be done a different way to earlier models.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 08:36:07 PM »
Many thanks Culzean, have had a further look and it's nothing like what you describe, no hexagons or screwdriver slots. It's back to the drawing board!.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 09:42:23 PM »
Personally, I would stick it in to a local garage and ask them to set the beam. They will do it using their beam checking unit, and it will be accurate. Last time I did that, the guy made a slight adjustment to one headlight and didn't even charge me. It took all of two minutes.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 09:08:27 AM »
Many thanks Culzean, have had a further look and it's nothing like what you describe, no hexagons or screwdriver slots. It's back to the drawing board!.

It may well be a 'software stop' (as we used to call them on robots and servo systems) which can be adjusted from control pendent without manual intervention (the value was then held in memory)  - as opposed to the normal 'hardware' stop which was a moveable block with switches on it.   Trouble is a software stop needs some kind of feedback from encoder or resolver which I doubt they would fit on a headlamp adjustment.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:16:24 AM »
It's probably me that's the problem. it's just my impression that they are a mite high.
Nobody coming the other way has flashed me, so there can't be much wrong.
Thanks guys for your responses

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 11:48:50 AM »
It's probably me that's the problem. it's just my impression that they are a mite high.
Nobody coming the other way has flashed me, so there can't be much wrong.
Thanks guys for your responses

maybe because the beam is brighter and shines further may be misleading.

sghc

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz ES CVT now SE Navi CVT
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 04:32:41 PM »
Many thanks.

No one ever takes a test drive at night! I just bought a new Jazz SE (Halogen headlights - only the latest EX has LED headlights and the regulation-compulsory self-levelling system that you cant at any price retrofit to SE grade regrettably). My regret is that the dipped headlights seem inadequate to pick up white lines on dark nights as well as my last 2011 Jazz did. The spread to the left kerb seems too great and the general brightness is diffused. I too have spent £50 on the Halfords brighter bulbs but it is still not the answer. I too am seeking to make a small screwdriver adjustment if possible. And I wonder if the OP had the same issue that the lights seem less good than the previous model (which in every way was such a nice car I almost regret changing)?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 05:09:37 PM »
Get some classiccarleds LED H4 bulbs, don't believe the stories, both our cars have passed MOT with them fitted, the beam pattern is much better than even the brightest filament I tried,  but there are some cheap and nasty fleabay specials out there that will never have a decent beam because LED Chip size and position all wrong - they need to exactly mimic a filament...

The LED bulbs are superb at picking out white lines and road signs, never been flashed either, did not need to adjust headlight aim after fitting, the bulbs are built to NASA standards..

Read this thread ( long one ). Some pictures of LED beam pattern in thread from my wife's mk2.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8738.msg45479#msg45479
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:15:15 PM by culzean »

guest7494

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 05:42:25 PM »
Get some classiccarleds LED H4 bulbs, don't believe the stories, both our cars have passed MOT with them fitted, the beam pattern is much better than even the brightest filament I tried,  but there are some cheap and nasty fleabay specials out there that will never have a decent beam because LED Chip size and position all wrong - they need to exactly mimic a filament..

The LED bulbs are superb at picking out white lines and road signs, never been flashed either, did not need to adjust headlight aim after fitting, the bulbs are built to NASA standards..

Read this thread ( long one ). Some pictures of LED beam pattern in thread from my wife's mk2.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8738.msg45479#msg45479

Fitted these to my Mk 3 Jazz, superb and no worries regarding dazzle at all used all this winter

guest7494

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 05:51:19 PM »
Sorry Culzean once again I messed it up
Will I ever get the hang of this forum posting stuff

Tags:

anything