Author Topic: Clunking noise when setting off  (Read 13784 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Clunking noise when setting off
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2019, 07:32:11 AM »

how is the noise now? is it just the transmission mount or anything else? (faulty clutch or pressure plate etc) i have the same noise as the fitfreak video, i thought it was the anti roll bar or something until i heared the video

it just happens when taking off from a stop and not driving over speed bumps or anything else

Difficult to hear the video clearly, but it does sound very similar to what I had. If it happens as you lift the clutch to move off and the drivetrain starts to take the load, then that’s when mine made the noise. Particularly noticeable when doing a hill start. Also, the thread title might be a little misleading, I’d describe it as more of a creak or groan rather than a clunk.

As for the fix of replacing the mount, so far this latest one seems OK after 9 months. Bit annoying that it took Honda several attempts to fix it though.

Your car is still under warranty so it’s worth getting them to look at it. Initially they said they couldn’t detect a problem so I had to demonstrate it with a technician in the car with me before they agreed that I wasn’t imagining it. Persevere !

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2019, 08:53:43 AM »
im just glad it isnt anything serious like clutch or pressure plate, also some on fitfreak said their noise went away itself after a few thousand miles

just a shame its under the battery, also a guy on the fitfreak forum got his car back from the dealer scratched and the wiring loom damaged so bit worried about that

just glad its not just me having the noise or going to damage the clutch etc

thanks
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:42:38 AM by monkeydave »

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2019, 02:16:27 PM »
so colinb you have had two gearbox mounts now, how is your noise? not comming back i hope

did they damage your paintwork or wiring loom like they did with the guy on the fitfreak site?

cheers

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 04:10:34 PM »
so colinb you have had two gearbox mounts now, how is your noise? not comming back i hope
Actually I’m on my 3rd - the original plus two replacements. And as I said:
As for the fix of replacing the mount, so far this latest one seems OK after 9 months. Bit annoying that it took Honda several attempts to fix it though.
There was no damage during the repairs.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 06:43:56 PM »
Actually I’m on my 3rd - the original plus two replacements. And as I said:
There was no damage during the repairs.

thanks for replying back, i am glad i know what is doing it, i feel better that you didnt get any damage on yours and its still ok, i feel confident about telling them about the gearbox mount on the first service in september now

it would be interesting to know how many in the uk are effected by this mount, there seems to be a lot in the us, the mount for them is built in mexico, i wonder if ours are built there too or in japan
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 06:46:06 PM by monkeydave »

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 06:53:01 PM »
so i took a closer look at my gearbox mount today and noticed the lower metal plate was rusting slightly, not very good, also i couldnt see the other engine mounts apart from the one next to the alternator, it cant just have two, where is the third one ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

monkeydave

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2019, 09:30:25 AM »
i have also noticed that it is quieter on colder and damp early mornings (almost silent)

i did put my camera in the passenger footwell and then moved the engine by hand and i could not hear anything at all on the video, just when the car is driven, very strange everybody saying it is the gearbox mount
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 05:28:19 PM by monkeydave »

monkeydave

• Approved Member
creaking noise when setting off
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 05:26:29 PM »
if anyone is still interested in this problem, i sprayed some silicone spray on the bracket and the noise has vanished, who knows how long for but i did see some rust comming off the mount onto the paintwork of the car which is a worry

perhaps you guys should check your mounts for rust under the mount too, the pic was taken from the space gehind the mount in the engine bay as you cant tell anything from looking from the top of the engine
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 07:48:15 PM by monkeydave »

Tags: