Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 1349 times)

ChristoC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Hello all
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:19:54 PM »
Hi Everyone

I'm not actually a Jazz owner yet - but i'm looking for one!

My budget isn't great (mid 2.5k), im thinking a Mk1 or maybe a Mk2 - can anyone advise on what features you get with the Mk2 that you don't with the Mk1?

looking for a 1.4 manual.

Thanks!

Chris

guest1372

Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 09:31:55 PM »
Mk2 is more refined in every respect.
--
TG

ChristoC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:30:26 PM »
Thanks TG - how specifically  :D
Exactly what features does a Mk2 have that Mk1 doesnt?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 08:29:19 PM »
IMHO the MK1 engine (8 valve twin spark) is better lower down than the MK2, the VTEC (16 valve single spark) has more outright power (100 ponies vs 89) but the VTEC feels a bit gutless below about 2500 revs and can catch you out if you change up too soon, the 8 valve unit feels more 'tractable' when pulling away and at lower speed, which in my experience makes it a better drive around town (I can't remember stalling my MK1,  but it has happened a few time in my wifes MK2 when pulling away,  it needs a few more revs on) - but 8 valve runs out of breath above about 4500 revs,  just when the VTEC is getting into its stride. 70 mph on motorway is about 3300 revs on both engines.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=6323.msg5316#msg5316

In my opinion the MK2 VTEC should have been given a 6 speed box, with a lower second gear to save having to rev it too much in first before changing up on hills. 

In all other respects TG is correct, on the MK2 the suspension is better, steering is better and car feels more sorted all round (oh and Mk2 has more cup-holders LOL).

Plenty of advice on here about problems to look out for when buying,  noisy gearbox (expensive), noisy rear wheel bearings (can be done cheaply),  water in boot etc.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:50:32 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ChristoC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 09:14:23 PM »
Thanks Culzean- "oh and Mk2 has more cup-holders LOL" - my decision is made!

Thanks for the tip on what to look out for when buying.

Are there any guides on the forum on things like, working the radio, the internal features?

Tags:

anything