Author Topic: Seat belt clip  (Read 3053 times)

guest5079

Seat belt clip
« on: November 02, 2017, 11:04:38 AM »
This might be the wrong place for this or it could be a Mk2 problem.

One of the things that is causing an annoying rattle is the rear seat belt tongue. The piece of metal that goes into the 'stalk' This is because the tongue part of the seat belt can slide up and down the belt and when not in use slides to the bottom of it's travel and bangs against the rear wheel arch.
Some belts have an adjustable stop so that it doesn't drop all the way down to the bottom.
I have seen some buttons that go through the webbing of the belt but am reluctant to use these as I do not feel punching holes in the belt is a good idea.
Any ideas on what is available? I have looked on line but to be honest I am not sure.
I am surprised that Honda do not fit such an item.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Seat belt clip
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 11:21:51 AM »
I certainly wouldn't put anything through the belt. It could even result in an MOT fail. You can get these sort of things.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEAT-BELT-ADJUSTER-STOPPER-CLIPS/dp/B00349B49U

I don't know what I have on my belts. I put them on 10 times a day, but never notice!

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 12:08:43 PM »
How about the freezer bag clip. It would just go around the belt and not cause any damage as long as you remove the two 'bars' from the top piece .

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:51:00 PM by trebor1652 »

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »
The freezer bag clip went through my mind as well. we bought ours in Ikea but don't use them for restraining the seat belt clip all the same :)

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 02:51:03 PM »
I seem to remember having one missing in my A Class Merc  umpteen years ago. It was readily available as a spare comprising of 2 plastic discs about 1cm in dia. joined by a pin. The pin was fixed into one pad and passed easily through the belt between to lock into the other pad!

Best of all, it cost only pennies!  ;D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vehicle-Clips-FCP-0292x000004-Buttons-Retainer/dp/B00UJE7GN6 is very similar!

Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »
Either tuck the seat belt tang down the side of the seat between the seat and the wheel arch or do the seat belt up.

Vic.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 04:29:21 PM »
Either tuck the seat belt tang down the side of the seat between the seat and the wheel arch or do the seat belt up.

Vic.

+1, that's what I do.

Plasma.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 05:40:46 PM »
I can remember having plastic buttons on seatbelts in previous cars, I am 99% sure that my first Civic had them, but don't remember if they were there on first GD Jazz I had. It is such a simple thing, but makes you wonder why company like Honda would not fit them (and why they still don't fit decent mesh in the front grill to protect radiators from debris damage).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 09:19:05 AM »
Note the warning on the Ebay advert
"Please only use them to replace missing stoppers and do not cut new holes in your belt".

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 02:35:37 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, true to form put up a problem and Club Jazz will come through.
I have done up the belts across the seat but given the mechanism  will be under permanent tension I would prefer a clip. The button idea is the simplest but anything that actually goes through the seat belt webbing that wasn't put there in the first place is not a way I am willing to go.

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »
Two ideas --
First, why not sew a button on to stop the buckle part sliding down, a sewing needle will go through the webbing without weakening it , and if you use a 2 hole button even less chance of damage.
If you don't want to do that , how about one of those shoulder pads you get to wrap around a  seat belt so it doesn't press on your shoulder, you could attach it on the lower part of the belt to stop the buckle sliding down, and no chance of damaging the webbing.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 04:20:53 PM »
Finally checked my belts today. They have buttons through them.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 08:55:46 AM »
Thanks for the help, have ordered two clip types from Ebay which was half the price of Amazon. We shall see if they are up to the job.

Tags:

anything