Author Topic: Engine cutting out at roundabouts and jerkyness / EGR valve?  (Read 5681 times)

u587162

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport CVT
Engine cutting out at roundabouts and jerkyness / EGR valve?
« on: October 26, 2017, 07:53:11 PM »
Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control - 10N / Engine control PGM-Fi 3.0 Status :080_01 - Exhaust gas recirculation cooling switching valve. Error Message : Insufficient flow. Error static.found engine warning light on and engine running rough, read fault codes found stored as above, removed and cleaned egr valve, refitted and retested, engine running smoother, cleared fault codes, advised member to have fault investigated further by garage agent if fault re occurs Garage investigation required

The above was what was written on an AA report after I told him my Honda Jazz 2007 model with 95k miles, auto, would cut out sometimes at junctions or roundabouts.  Recently started doing this.

He took the EGR valve out cleaned it after he found a lot of carbon in there and now it does not stall however when driving I do get a sudden jerkyness when the accelerator is down. 

I also get very bad jerkiness from what feels like coming from under the car when speeding off from still position.  Ive had the card for almost one year but I did service it in Jan/Feb.  Didnt do a gear box oil change and not sure when it was last done.

Any suggestions?

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
Re: Engine cutting out at roundabouts and jerkyness / EGR valve?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 10:23:39 PM »
I had similar symtoms but not as bad and much better now. My advice would be to give it a good run out to clear deposits that build up over time especially if it has done a lot of short trips at low speed. The EGR merely compounds the problem. However, I understand the moving bits in the unit become faulty over time so a replacement might be in order.

PS - Try this thread https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=5345.0
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:57:40 PM by MartinJG »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »
I had similar symtoms but not as bad and much better now. My advice would be to give it a good run out to clear deposits that build up over time especially if it has done a lot of short trips at low speed. The EGR merely compounds the problem. However, I understand the moving bits in the unit become faulty over time so a replacement might be in order.

PS - Try this thread https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=5345.0

I think the EGR (which only normally opens at above 3 to 4 K revs) is in the same basket as a diesel DPF in that they do not like low local mileage low rev running.  My theory is that by keeping the revs down the EGR never opens and the shaft gets coated in crud that never gets burnt off by hot exhaust gasses,  when on an occasion the revs do get up higher and the valve opens the aforementioned crud stops it closing properly again, allowing the air leaks through at low revs and upsets the running of the engine.  I suggest for good EGR health a good high rev blast once a week or so (Italian tune-up) would not come amiss - my wifes 1.4 GE gets this when I drive and because I go above 2K revs my wife thinks the engine is gonna fall out,  but so far EGR is fine  ;D

Nor sure that the EGR becomes faulty over time, my first GD did about 120,000 miles before I traded it in and not a peep from the EGR - I did take it off and have a look and sprayed a bit of carb cleaner in there,  but more out of curiosity and preventative maintenance than because I thought it may be not working correctly.

When the EGR does not close properly it is like having an air leak on the inlet manifold and it stuffs up the  engine running at low revs.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 08:38:15 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 05:13:36 PM »
Culzean

Far more elequent than my fumblings but I was at least on the right track. Us dieselites know a bit about 'Italian tuning' from time to time though I have never heard it described in such colourful terms. Geezer speak is usually more along the lines of 'floor it mate'. Hilarious about the wife. I had a friend who used to have a nervous breakdown accompanied by strange humming every time he approached a bend and insisted on slowing to a crawl. Whiteknuckle ride stuff at @30MPH. I really think he thought the car was in danger of falling over if he went too fast.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:21:01 PM by MartinJG »

guest1372

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 12:40:20 PM »
I took one off a 2007 car for a spare and it was spotless; as Cluzean says a blast of heat will keep it clean like the pyro-clean cycle on oven linings.  It you do clean it yourself then it's not really the pathway that needs attention but the solenoid pin, so extend that and give it a good dose of cleaner.   The EGR has a feedback mechanism so if the valve is not in the position requested by the engine management it will generate a fault code.

PS. I have a spare clean EGR if you need it.
--
TG

u587162

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 06:52:58 PM »
Thanks to TJ I had the EGR valve replaced about 2 weeks ago.  The car no longer stalls but sometimes feels as if the revs are dropping below idle speed before quickly picking up again.  More worrying however, is the way the car still suddenly jerks forward.  This happens I've noticed at any speed when I am accelerating but almost always between the 2000 and 3000 revs.  It does it regardless in auto transmission mode or CVT manual 7 speed mode.

Is this some piston misfiring or something?  what else could be causing this?

guest1372

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 07:32:38 PM »
Jerkiness in CVT cars is usually a symptom of old CVT transmission fluid.  This should be replaced every 2 years with Honda CVT-F according to the service schedule but if the transmission fluid has past it's best and causing jerkiness then a flush & fill is recommended.
--
TG

u587162

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 09:12:23 PM »
Hi TJ

I had the CVT fluid replaced about 6 weeks ago (we discussed that in another thread) i.e. gearbox juddering when driving off.  That has 90% improved, but this seems to be coming from the engine area when accelerating and sometimes I get 2 or 3 jolts in rapid succession within a 10 sec period. This happened around the same time I started having the EGR valve problems before I replaced it with the one you sent me.

Tags:

anything