Author Topic: The frequently occuring rattle from the luggage area  (Read 2497 times)

guest5079

The frequently occuring rattle from the luggage area
« on: October 23, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »
Another subject that comes around fairly frequently. Rattles from the rear end.

Our Jazz let us down last week when visitors with a Hyundai I20 visited. The Jazz developed the infamous rattle from the luggage area. My Wife having to sit in the back located the rattle to somewhere close to her elbow.
After turfing everything out of the boot. I thought perhaps the N/S shocker was slack after the hammering they get on our pot hole strewn roads. It wasn't. The cover over the shock top mounting on an EX is held in place with a screw through a clip for the folding floor. After removing the cover, there is a piece of metal that is screwed to a bracket on the shock  mounting to which the shock cover is attached. I checked the screw and it was loose. On closer inspection found the plastic through which the screw passes was fractured. Using a screw with a washer was able to tighten the bracket.
Today, no rattle. One can only assume the loose bracket was using the interior card on the inside of the luggage area as a sounding board. 
Of course the Hyundai visitors has gone home now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NickP

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 EX 2009
Re: The frequently occuring rattle from the luggage area
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 04:02:34 PM »
Thanks for that diagnosis, auntyneddy.

Have had an annoying rattle in the boot/rear seat area for ages and couldn't find anything obviously loose.
Have just followed your guidance, and these metal plates under the plastic covers on both sides were loose.
Don't think there was any broken plastic. The screws had just worked themselves loose.
Have just tightened everything up again, and will wait to see if rattle has gone.
However, I can easily see them coming loose again, and think it may be worth replacing the self-tappers with nut & bolts (if necessary).

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »
Try a dap of locktite I'm still using this slosh bought years ago on vehicles with inaccessable/loose nuts

NickP

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 EX 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 12:24:05 PM »
Good point. Loctite simpler solution.
Also - Have now had chance to confirm rattle has definitely gone.

Tags:

anything