Author Topic: Cruise control steps.  (Read 5757 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Cruise control steps.
« on: October 04, 2017, 05:20:22 PM »
I expect you all know this but today I discovered the 10 mph steps in the cruise control setting. I was slowing down using the CC and held the down button for about a second, it works in 10 mph steps both up and down. Very useful for speed limit changes.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Cruise control steps.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 05:38:24 PM »
It is surprising the things you find out about your car during your ownership. I just realised there is driver's seat height adjustment. Never really noticed the huge big wheel before!
My brother sold me the Carlton I used to have. He had owned it for about 3 years, but only found it had kick-down a week before he sold it to me.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 05:50:53 PM »
Had driven my Civic for a couple of years before I discovered that intermittent wipers (with adjustable wipe intervals, would be nice to have that on Jazz) are speed sensitive, and go into slow mode when car is stopped at traffic lights etc.   I was trying to adjust speed while car was stationary and speed adjustment did not seem to make them go any faster than 1 wipe every couple of seconds,  but as soon as I drove off they started going faster.   

I did know about tapping speed control to go up or down in 1mph steps but  not about 10 mph steps.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 05:56:50 PM »
It is surprising the things you find out about your car during your ownership. I just realised there is driver's seat height adjustment. Never really noticed the huge big wheel before!
My brother sold me the Carlton I used to have. He had owned it for about 3 years, but only found it had kick-down a week before he sold it to me.

Both speed limiters do the same.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 08:00:12 PM »
Had driven my Civic for a couple of years before I discovered that intermittent wipers (with adjustable wipe intervals, would be nice to have that on Jazz)
You have that on the EX. Unfortunately the auto wipers aren't as good as they were on the Mk2. With those I found a setting that worked pretty much all the time so they were truly automatic. With the Mk3 I'm forever having to adjust the speed to suit the varying conditions :(

guest5079

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »
The cruise control on the Mk2 has the availability of stepping up or down the set speed but in my case it is in 2 mile an hour ( or 1 mile an hour the old fool can't remember) increments or downwards ( can't think of the right word) Very useful in traffic that keeps speeding up and slowing down.
One advantage the Mk3 has over the Mk2 Cruise control is it is adaptive that is it will slow you as well as accelerate OR SO I AM TOLD.
The wipers on our EX I found the adjustment in the fully minus end stopped mine altogether I have it set in the centre. I have noticed that in rain the wipers are very sensitive to amounts and that they react pretty swiftly. Unfortunately they do not respond to West Country misty drizzle until the windscreen is soaked. Can't have it all.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 06:58:31 PM »
The MK3 cruise control can be stepped up or down in 1 or 10 mph steps by the driver. It is not adaptive and does not automatically match the vehicle aheads speed.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:01:36 PM by Deeps »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 07:10:31 PM »
I thought adaptive cruise control only slows you down if the speed goes above the set point, such as when going down a steep hill?

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 07:39:02 PM »
On our way to Straford-on-avon we have to go down Liverage Hill, which in the days of Austin 7s & Morris 8s you had to change down to get up it.

The road has a 50Mph limit and I find that the speed going down in my Mk3 EX CVT will rise above the limit if I let it.
The cruise control does not hold it back, even using the paddles to change down a 'gear' has little effect.

The plus side of all this is, in normal driving, you seem to able to run for 'miles' without using the throttle, which of course augers well for fuel consumption.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 08:46:35 PM »
I thought adaptive cruise control only slows you down if the speed goes above the set point, such as when going down a steep hill?
I think adaptive cruise control is when the system adjusts your speed to suit traffic conditions. When descending hills most CC systems just lift off the throttle. The Mk3 is no different to the Mk2 in that respect as far as I can tell. I drive the A55 in North Wales now and again and at the bottom of Rhaullt hill I'll be doing over 70mph even though CC is usually set at 60mph.

One of the golf courses I visit has a very steep drive and whilst I wouldn't be using CC there if I lift off at 10mph at the top I'd be doing 30mph at the bottom (probably - no way I'd want to test that). I usually use the paddles to drop the CVT into 1st but it does the same thing the Mk2 did. It'll hold the speed for a while then it will 'release' then it will go back to trying to hold the speed. It seems like the Honda CVT doesn't like continuous hard engine braking.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:50:01 PM by andruec »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 09:00:07 PM »
It is Dynamic Cruise Control I am thinking about. I had a hire car in the States that had that system. If the car went above the set speed it would gently apply the brakes, to bring your speed back to the set point.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »

The plus side of all this is, in normal driving, you seem to able to run for 'miles' without using the throttle, which of course augers well for fuel consumption.

Well if you do use the accelerator it will cancel cruise control anyway, but the car is still using the throttle (you used to be able to feel accelerator pedal moving on older cars with CC).  There is plenty on internet that a good driver can get better mpg with a manual car without CC, but you have to be savvy and for most CVT and CC May do better.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 10:00:41 AM »
My automatic Volvo S40 had CC but only the brake pedal or the switch itself deactivated it. If I came up behind a slower vehicle I could accelerate past, and once I took my foot of the accelerator the car would return to the previously set speed.
CC is great on an automatic, but not so much so on a manual.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 10:26:32 AM »
Hi

I’m sorry as I don’t fully understand cruise control. However on our manual jazz si, I use CC an awful lot, even speeds of 30mph or just below upto my normal speed on motorways

I control speed from the button on steering wheel

The CC will turn off if clutch or brake pedal is touched (does not need depressing) and accelerator pedal, I can use that to go faster then release accelerator pedal, and speed returns to CC set speed (accelerator does not turn off CC)

Where I have used the brake/clutch pedal and CC has turned off, if I press the up button, the CC returns back to last set speed (useful when say coming across roundabouts etc, where you slow down/change gear, then just let CC take you steadily back to last speed)

The only strange thing I have noticed, is at 30mph in 5th gear, driving without CC on, a hill will cause it to labour but on CC, there is not the same labouring, and it cannot change gear

Many thanks

John

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »
Hi all
The only time I've ever used cruise control is in hire cars in France, all of them manual cars like a Renault Laguna for instance. What I did find hard to come to terms with was when I activated the cruise control in top gear from say 45 mph (i know speedo was in Kms) with the CC set to 70 mph equivalent it was like I was accelerating flat out until it got to 70 then stayed there. No gentle build up like I'm used to (my driving style), it was a bit of a shock I must admit. A 2.0L from a 1.2L I know is a jump but was a very strange feeling for me.

Tags:

anything